Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Bam files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemocraticAnarchist
Sleep Deprived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Bam files Reply with quote

For some reason, bam files wont play on my pc. Im running win88se, can fun all other game files, music from other sources (mod,wav,midimp3,atrac etc) fine. if i use playbam,midi2bam or even notate it appears to play but no sound. Pissed off! Ideas? Btw, i know the files work cos i tried them on a friends pc.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright...I'll try to dissect this as best as I can, because, to be honest, your post is almost illegible.

You are running Windows 98, but cannot hear BAM files. What kind of sound card do you have? If you have a sound card that came pre-installed on your PC then that is most likely why you cannot hear it. If that is the case, I recommend going to your local computer hardware store and buying a SoundBlaster sound card (any kind should do fine, although SoundBlaster Live! will produce the best results). That is the best I can do for you. There is a solution for people who cannot hear BAM called "VDM Sound", but unfortunately the program will not run on Windows 98. If replacing your sound card doesn't work, then I'm sorry, but you won't be able to listen to BAM files. It's a format designed to be played in a certain chip on your sound card that most cards do not have anymore due to the fact that very few programs use it anymore.
Sleep Deprived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: ^^;;; Reply with quote

yeah, bit illegible i agree. seems im screwed, its a laptop&ive a built in card on the motherboard, and no way in hell can i afford to replace it.
Anyone know if there is any plans to include support for midi in the ohr? Wishful thinking i guess... Rolling Eyes
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI isn't supported because it would sound the same as BAM. BAM is used instead because of the smaller filesize.
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I change the Resources Windows Assigns to my soundcard

It used to be that I had the same problem on my Window 98, but I fixed it after finding this link to the OHR faq. Supposedly, James Paige doesn't recommend this method anymore, so I really may have gotten lucky, but you can take a look there if you want...
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I think we both have the same problem. I tried the link sephyroth posted, but now I know my problem can't be fixed until I throw out this crappy sound card.
RPGrealm5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Aethereal. That VDM thing you were talking about didn't work for me. I have windows 2000, or windows Me, whichever is which. Do you have any ideas as to why this wouldn't work?
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whether you're on Windows 2000 or Windows ME does make a difference. Which one are you on? If you're on ME, then it won't work. If you're on 2000, right-click GAME or CUSTOM then select "Run with VDMS" (after installing the program, naturally).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have realized that I do have Windows ME. Is there anything else I can try? Is a new soundcard the only solution, or will it not work no matter what I try?
planethunter
Lost In Emotion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a win98 pc, bam works fine.
I reckon there are three obvious possiblities:

One, your sound card is old, very very very old indeed.

Two, perhaps it's new and just hates dos programs.

Three, Bill Gates has a personnel grudge with your soundcard.

Vdm sound works, I have heard bam files on Win2000 and Xp using it.
The only disadvanage is Playbam doesn't work, you can't drag and drop
a bam file and select "run with Vdm sound" at the same time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: