Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Script freezing; any suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Script freezing; any suggestions? Reply with quote

I have a script that I want to run continuously in the background (I accomplish this with a 'while' loop) but right now it is freezing the game. I will try to explain what the script does.

The script enters a 'while' loop checking if the current map is 42 (which it will be for as long as this part of the game lasts, and I DO want this script running that entire time). Inside the 'while' loop are a whole lot of 'if' checks. However, there is not a single 'wait' command of any kind within the 'while' loop. Nevertheless, when I run game.exe, the script freezes the game up.

Script-debug mode (not detailed) gives that while the game is frozen, the command kind is 6 (built-in function), the command ID is 1 (wait) and the state is 3 (returning from command). I'm not sure exactly what these mean. In detailed mode, these numbers go all over the place, but especially the command ID which runs over all sorts of huge negative numbers. I don't know what this means. Does anyone have any ideas? Oh, the blue bar is not very high, and the pink/orange one is barely there at all.

PS: Just in case it helps, I will list all of the types of commands I use in the 'while' loop:
setting variables "X:=..."
heroX, heroY, npcX, npcY, npcreference functions
npcdirection, herodirection, setnpcdirection, setherodirection functions
random, readmapblock, readglobal, writeglobal functions
'if' and 'for' commands
the following math operators: '=='; '<>'; 'and'; 'or'; '*'; '+'; '--'; '>>'; 'mod'
parantheses, 'begin'/'end', 'then', 'do', 'else'
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick a wait(1) in there somewhere and see if it sorts it. (try the end of the while loop)
Mr B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the script called?

Because if it is called as a "load-map" script, it WILL freeze and you will get a pileup of multiple instances.

What does the script snooper debug key tell you? (I think it's F10)
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that fixed it. Thanks a lot! I'm not sure, but I guess that a script needs a wait command in order to allow input from the keyboard to come through?
Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you need the script to wait(1) before it should check again if the player has pressed anything on the keyboard that is valid.

if you don't put a wait(1) it'll keep checking continuously without waiting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wait" commands are fun. Actually, you don't need it to wait to see if the player has pressed anything. Technically, if the player did press a key while the script was "waiting," nothing would happen. Fortunately, "wait" only waits like 1/15th of a second, and it's pretty hard to press a key for only that short of time.

However, you need the "wait" to allow the script to cool down, otherwise it will overwork itself and freeze up. In every "while" statement, you should have at least one "wait" thrown in there (usually at the end).

~Worthy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum