Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What if?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob360
Rusty Vet

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: What if? Reply with quote

if Ohr went pay... would you buy it or drop it? personaly id probably buy it..
A hundred pound man could beat a 300 pound man
-Bruce Lee
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: freeness and non-freeness Reply with quote

I hate using non-free programs. if the OHRRPGCE wasnt free, even _I_ wouldn't use it :)

but I do think it is flattering that some people would be willing to pay for it.

Once upon a time, five of the games now available on the Hamster Republic downloads page were availabe to buy on a CD called "Games of the Hamster Republic" which sold for about $10 or $12. It was cool of course, but it was definitely not a money-maker. The copes I sold throught the publisher netted me only a tiny tiny royalty, and the copies I sold directly from ... ooh, the page is thill there, isnt it?
http://hamsterrepublic.com/html/hrcd.html ... anyway, it got to be quite a pain to sell. Each time sombody would order, I had to burn a cd, print a label, print an invoice, document the sale for tax purposes, pack it in a big soft envelope that cost more than the stamps it took to mail it, and of course, mail it. I didn't have time for all that.

Free is the way to go. Woo! Free!

Perhaps someday I will set up a paypal "Tip Jar" or something like that, but no more pay software for me.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: wierd... Reply with quote

The board is acting wierd. It keeps asking me to log in again, and displays an "e-mail" errror when i successfully post... and then my last post was inserted *before* the previous two replies.

wierd.
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry 'bout the messed up board James. It's our host. I don't know the details, but it seems the e-mail server is down and because of that PHP is crashing in the middle of the posting process. So, your post gets posted, but the date is all screwed up.

All of the staff guys can't wait until we're on a better host. Money is an issue though, so we don't have many other alternatives at this point. We *hope* to build a server of our own one of these days, with Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL and all those other nice features a server should have. Yay for open source! (And other free software Wink )
Chaz VanLanden
I believe its a Cat god...

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: EVIL! Reply with quote

* Chaz Jumps Bob and slaps his hand over his mouth.

" SHHHHH! There lsitening! WHAT ARE YOU thinking?! DO NOT suggest that. Infact burn that thought... Crush it and kill it and put it back into the darkness where it belongs!!!" Pissed off!

One of the main reasons people like OHR is beacuse it is free and easy to work with! ( And you can do what ever type of game you wont on it.)
To suggest it to be a payble down load is lunicris What?!?! Curse the thought.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quie a few reasons its NOT a pay service. Primarily, the OHR caters to a very limited group. Probably about 500 at a reasonable estimate. Should it be, say, $20 US for a one year subscription, that's still only a maximum of $10,000. Not including taxation, or the very real possibility of people NOT buying it, so essentially James would only have about $0 for selling OHR anyway, which unless I'm mistaken is how much he recieves for it. So what's the point of having to pay for it?

Secondly, because it is free, and nobody has to pay, there's no reason for piracy. Think about it. you can't realistically steal what's practically given to you. Also the fact that it's free means there's no registration, no key-code, and hence no hacks, cracks, or key generators for it.

Finally, and not to offend the OHR community, but were it sold for ANY amount of money, it realistically would not be worth it. $20 for a game maker with a limited pallete, no high quality music 9or Sound effects period), and is essentially DOS based, which XP BARELY supports. From a marketing standpoint.... It don't sell.

And that is why the OHR is free. Let's also not forget that if it were a pay service, there exists the very real possibility of major companies (Nintendo Specifically) of suing or meddling in the OHR community on the basis of it being "emulation-related" or some such nonsense.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I was one of the people who BOUGHT the Hamster Republic CD a long while back. Didn't know it took so much time to make, so sorry 'bout that James, but it's still a treasured possession. Big grin
Gaia Paladin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHRRPGCE was on a cd with games...WOW...

But freeware is better.

HOORAY FOR FREEWARE :>

[CNN would like to note that nobody pays attention to any of these at all] --- Thank you for watching CNN
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have bought it, no matter how good it is! I never buy computer games or applications, especially online. My parents have bought all my games like Ceaser 3, etc.

But the OHR wasn't included in that CD...
Rpeanut
Chop Chop

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: WOW, OHR CD looks good Reply with quote

Wow, The OHR Cd looks Really Really Good, especially the Bob shootout thingamabober, lots of variety on that Cd, one of the pics didnt load so i dunno if the whole CD is about Bob the Hamster. But still that looks Very Professional,...even though the editor itself was free, but who cares?...Ya still got that shootout game for download??? Huh? looks good[color=#00ffad]
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hamsterrepublic.com/dl/

They're all on that page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: