Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

I WANNA SELL MY GAMES.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy my game:
https://cheeseforge.itch.io/athe-quest

It sells for one dollar and is worth every penny.

Sometimes I put it on sale for 69% off to be funny and also this gives you a chance to get it for a steal. Keep an eye on it if you want to save yourself a couple quarters.

Tipping is not just acceptable, but encouraged.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Charbile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon Weaver wrote:
The Real Steps!

blah blah blah

STEP ZERO:

make
    a
    good
    game
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charbile wrote:
STEP ZERO:

make
    a
    good
    game

And most people in this community are too caught up on making a game specifically to impress other members of the community and forget to make the game good in general.

Flashy scripting to reinvent the basic navigation and text display can impress people who know about the coding language, but mean nothing to anyone who isn't a developer within the engine's community.

Big walkabouts can give you room to give better character expressions and body language, but just making 30 or 40 pixel tall stickmen and robots for the sake of making them taller than a single map tile doesn't really accomplish anything beyond making them taller than 20 pixels.

Incestuous community in-jokes like every milkshake being a secret milkshake, dinosaurs always coming in triples, and cameos from forum-goers as NPCs in your games can be quite distracting and confusing to anyone not in the know already.

Basically, never forget that any game can be someone's first - I apparently did a good enough job with the way OHRodents presented its murine cast that people who'd never seen an OHR game before were able to follow along just fine.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:
Charbile wrote:
STEP ZERO:

make
    a
    good
    game

And most people in this community are too caught up on making a game specifically to impress other members of the community and forget to make the game good in general.

Flashy scripting to reinvent the basic navigation and text display can impress people who know about the coding language, but mean nothing to anyone who isn't a developer within the engine's community.

Big walkabouts can give you room to give better character expressions and body language, but just making 30 or 40 pixel tall stickmen and robots for the sake of making them taller than a single map tile doesn't really accomplish anything beyond making them taller than 20 pixels.

Incestuous community in-jokes like every milkshake being a secret milkshake, dinosaurs always coming in triples, and cameos from forum-goers as NPCs in your games can be quite distracting and confusing to anyone not in the know already.

Basically, never forget that any game can be someone's first - I apparently did a good enough job with the way OHRodents presented its murine cast that people who'd never seen an OHR game before were able to follow along just fine.

A wise men once said, listen not to the fisherman for lesson in woodcutting.

There's also, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

You're throwing around a lot of hate and criticism for someone known to do exactly what you're preaching.
Where's your big walkabouts game?
Aren't most of your games "in-jokes"?
Charbile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is the ancient flame custom, i shall now line by line you.

Ronin Catholic wrote:

I often make games with other ohr users as the target audience for contests. It's important to have an audience in mind when selling games. It's even more important to be a part of that audience. Never make a game you wouldn't want to play if someone else made it.

Ronin Catholic wrote:

True, but so is non developers being unimpressed with basic navigation and text displays too.

Ronin Catholic wrote:

this is technically very true--do you have something against characters fatter than the basic tile size??

Ronin Catholic wrote:

with that, i don't believe the intent was ever to sell the game or humor anyone outside the in jokes, though

Ronin Catholic wrote:

but what can you do to turn OHRodents into a commercial game?
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My game will sell much more than yours!
My game is so big and great it and get up and walk, right through a door!
With a concept so pure, it'll have you scream back for more!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: