Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Moving two slices at once...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soule X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Moving two slices at once... Reply with quote

I'm having an issue where I'm running two loops at once, both moving different slices. My problem is there are Wait commands between each movement in each loop and the wait affects both scripts.

What I want to do is make 'Slice A' wait X amount of ticks while 'Slice B' ingnores the waiting and keeps going. How do I achieve this?

EDIT: Okay, after teaching myself how to use timers I think I have it figured out. Except there's one part that is still bothering me.

Previously I had

Code:

while (Key is Pressed (Key:Left))
   do,begin
      wait (1)
   end

to get the player stuck in an endless loop if the key was held down. That way the player could not use an "On Key Press" script by holding down the button. He would have to let go of it and press it again.

But now that I can't use a wait command I can't figure out how to emulate it with timers.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try something like this with global variables:

Code:

single press left := False
if (Key is Pressed (Key:Left)) then(
   if(pressing left == False) then(
      single press left = True
   )
   pressing left := True
)else(
   pressing left := False
)

if(single press left) then(
  do something that should only happen when the key is first pressed, and not when it is held down
)

Soule X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really ingenious script.

I'm running it from the "On-Keypress Script" on the map, which means once it runs once the only way to get to the 'else' part to reset it is to press a different key...

So when you press left it works and it doesn't let you hold it. But it also doesn't let you let go and press left again until you hit a different button.

EDIT: Okay, ha ha. Finally found a simple solution. Shouldn't have taken me so long...

First I defined the global 'Hold Left' (Global 9)

Code:
If (Key is Pressed (Key:Left) && Hold Left == NO)
Then,begin

# MY ORIGINAL KEY PRESS CODE

Hold Left := YES   
   Check Key

end

script, Check Key, begin

Switch (Read Global (9))
   do,begin
      Case (1)
      do,begin
         if (key is pressed (Key:Left))
         then,begin
            Set Timer (2,1,1,@Check Key)
         end
         else (Write Global (9,NO))
      end
   end

end

I feel really stupid for not getting that earlier.

EDIT 2: I should note I defined 'Yes' and 'No' as a constant in case someone else would want to use this script. If so you could just change those to 'On' and 'Off' or whatever.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason that you're using writeglobal and readglobal instead of defining a global variable (and using switch instead of if, for that matter)?

We really need a script command for reading only new keypresses.

(If you're OK with getting key-repeat events after a short delay, you can already use the 'keyval' command instead of key is pressed, but that needs a better name too.)
Soule X

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha. I noticed both those things a little bit later. I have no idea why I did it that way. I'm pretty sure I used the 'switch' command because I had just got done working with the timers and switches. Usually when I'm scripting I just sort of go on autopilot for a while. I don't really think about what I'm typing if my brain knows it will work.

Funny you should mention that though, because about ten minutes after that post I spotted it and was like wtf and changed it. lol

Have we always been able to use fractions of a tick? I don't remember being able to do that. But I haven't used OHR in a while. And here I've been using only whole numbers like a chump.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean. You can't use fractions of a tick, you can't yet change the frame/tick rate (which are both 18.2 fps), and you can't use floating point numbers in HamsterSpeak.

Note that if you wrote something like "wait(1/4)" that 1/4 rounds down to 0. (Also, wait(0) is actually equivalent to wait(1))
Soule X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, after messing around with it more I'm not really sure what happened. I have two animations that are virtually identical except one goes left and one right. When I set one for 7/10 ticks (with a timer) it goes significantly faster than the one with frames set at 1 tick. If I reverse all the numbers then the other animation goes faster. So 7/10 ticks goes faster than 1 tick...

But then I tried going lower (2/10, 1/100, etc) and nothing seemed to happen... weird.

So I just made a quick little test game to see if I was crazy or not. I made five rats each set to a separate timer. They were set at 1 tick increments, but to count down at 1, 8/10, 6/10, 4/10, and 2/10 respectively. Each increment they would move one pixel right. Here's what happened:

As you can see the one set to move every 1 tick was way slower than the others. On the other hand, as long as it was set below 1 it did not matter what the number was. It did not affect the speed after that.

I don't know what this means. Maybe it's some sort of bug or something. Not really sure. But this is what made me start using fractional numbers.

Here's the code:

Code:
include, plotscr.hsd

global variable (0,Rat01)
global variable (1,Rat01x)
global variable (2,Rat02)
global variable (3,Rat02x)
global variable (4,Rat03)
global variable (5,Rat03x)
global variable (6,Rat04)
global variable (7,Rat04x)
global variable (8,Rat05)
global variable (9,Rat05x)

script, Race,sprite,y, begin

if (Read Global (sprite))
then,begin
free slice (Read Global (sprite))
end

variable(sl)
sl := load small enemy sprite (sprite)
slice to front (sl)

Write Global (sprite,sl)

set slice x (Read Global (sprite), Read Global (sprite + 1))
set slice y (Read Global (sprite), y)

end

plotscript, Start, begin

Put Camera (0,0)

Set Timer (0,1,1,@Rat One)
Set Timer (1,8/10,1,@Rat Two)
Set Timer (2,6/10,1,@Rat Three)
Set Timer (3,4/10,1,@Rat Four)
Set Timer (4,2/10,1,@Rat Five)

end

script, Rat One, begin

Set Timer (0,1)
Race (0,0)
Rat01x += 1

end

script, Rat Two, begin

Set Timer (1,8/10)
Race (2,40)
Rat02x += 1

end

script, Rat Three, begin

Set Timer (2,6/10)
Race (4,80)
Rat03x += 1

end

script, Rat Four, begin

Set Timer (3,4/10)
Race (6,120)
Rat04x += 1

end

script, Rat Five, begin

Set Timer (4,2/10)
Race (8,160)
Rat05x += 1

end

EDIT: I should clarify I'm using the latest stable release version alectormancy+2
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

Set Timer (1,8/10,1,@Rat Two)
Set Timer (2,6/10,1,@Rat Three)
Set Timer (3,4/10,1,@Rat Four)
Set Timer (4,2/10,1,@Rat Five)

This is the same as:

Code:

Set Timer (1,0,1,@Rat Two)
Set Timer (2,0,1,@Rat Three)
Set Timer (3,0,1,@Rat Four)
Set Timer (4,0,1,@Rat Five)

Rats Two, Three, Four and Five move once per tick. Rat One moves every other tick.

Neither "wait" nor timers can divide a tick.

There is however, a trick for movement that you might find useful. The "move slice by" and "move slice to" commands allow you to move a slice more precisely than you can do with timer or wait steps. This is not because "move slice to" and "move slice by" support smaller slices of a tick, but because they support smaller slices of a pixel, (if that makes any sense)
Soule X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay I see what you're saying. So setting a timer for (1,0,1,@Something) makes it wait one tick? That is where I got confused.

As far as the commands you mentioned, what I'm doing is moving sprites around in very precise animation patterns. They aren't moving across the screen (most of the time). They are moving, say, up 2 pixels, down 2 left 2, up 3 right 7, etc. The problem is the movements have to be those exact pixel locations. The speed at which they arrive there is the only problem. I've had to cut frames to speed it up, which I don't like.

I'm not sure if those commands could help me.

EDIT: After playing around with it some I think it could help on certain sections of the animation. Specifically when the sprite 'slides' in a straight line. It would be nice if you could set several points for one 'Move Slice by' command somehow.

Like: Move 2,7 -3,6 4,-6 all in one tick. That would solve all my problems.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps, I never read the end of this thread.

Regarding multiple points for "move slice by": I'd like to see a version for moving slices along Bezier (or other parametric) curves.

But what you really want is a higher framerate. And you might be in luck there relatively soon. But do you really want to make 3 steps of that size per 'tick' (ie roughly 60 steps a second)?
Soule X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, probably not. That was just an example I threw random numbers into.

But say you want like a jumping animation that's really fast. Right now you would have to set each point so that the character doesn't jump diagonally in a straight line. Then you have to adjust the timing of each part so that it animates at roughly the same speed. And if any part of the animation is less than 1 tick long you would have to cut frames or make the animation slower.

But yeah, the frame rate would solve that to an extent.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This only answers part of what you talked about, but for jumping movements I always use a for loop that moves the character in an arc. Something like (jumping straight up)

Code:

variable (vz)
for (vz, 5, -5, -1) do (
  set hero z (me, hero z (me) + vz)
  wait
)

Edit: just added the 'hero z' command which was missing. Obviously you can use hero y instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum