Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Computer crashed, Game Corrupted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Computer crashed, Game Corrupted Reply with quote

My laptop overheated while I was editing a game and when I got it started up again, the game was corrupted.

Anytime Custom or Game tries to load it onto a browsing list, my CPU spikes and it takes a bit for the game-selection list to appear.

Trying to select the corrupted game simply gives me a message that it's corrupted.

The .rpg created from backing up was also pretty broken.

I fortunately have a backup from a month ago, but I did quite a bit of work in the past two days that I'd rather not lose.

Is there a way to repair this thing? :c
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. Zip up the corrupted rpg file and mail it to me. I'll check it out.
TwinHamster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After compressing the game and seeing that it turned into a 9kb .zip file, I'm going to accept that it's probably beyond repair.

Thanks for offering to look into it though!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Computer crashed, Game Corrupted Reply with quote

Something doesn't add up. Did your laptop crash while you were saving the game?

TwinHamster wrote:
The .rpg created from backing up was also pretty broken.

So you mean that the original .rpg, and also the working.tmp copy, which was backupped for you as a .bak, were corrupted? Custom never modifies an .rpg file (or even .rpgdir directory) except when saving it. The only possibility I see is if the whole game was already corrupted by some point when you had selected "save and continue editing". But surely you would have noticed, as you continued editing, unless this happened only a couple seconds before the computer crashed.

When saving and quitting, the game is saved and afterwards working.tmp is deleted. Basically, losing both copies due to a crash should be impossible, so my guess is that either you still have the game as a backup, or you accidentally deleted it.
TwinHamster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or you accidentally deleted it.

This is very possible.
I was editing walkabouts when my laptop crashed.

After turning it back on and opening Custom, I got the message that it was closed improperly and chose to recover.

I must've did some more fumbling around, because I remember seeing 2 folders of working.tmp at one point.

Trying to browse through files from the initial load-game screen in Custom would get about 100% of my CPU and take a while to load up. Selecting the game would then tell me that it was corrupted after a little more time.

Quote:
When saving and quitting, the game is saved and afterwards working.tmp is deleted. Basically, losing both copies due to a crash should be impossible.

This will be good to know in the future!
I think I probably deleted both the good and the back-up.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it is unfixable, I would still like to see a copy of the corrupted file. That way I can try to make custom show a coherent "this file is corrupted" message instead of spiking the CPU usage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum