Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Top OHR Songs, Composers, and Soundtracks (Idea)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Top OHR Songs, Composers, and Soundtracks (Idea) Reply with quote

I just thought of something: how many times have we commemorated games? How many of those games have some really, really good original music in them?

Probably a lot. Why not recognize the best original music in OHR games?

This is an idea I have for next month's Hamsterspeak (if there is enough interest). It would work something like...:

Week 1 - Nominee Week
-This week (which would be the first week in October) would begin with a thread where anyone active on the boards could nominate up to three of their favorite songs. You would need to specify the name of the game and what part of the game the song is from (because likely you either won't know or it won't have an actual song name). If you don't specify a link to said song(s), then I will go back and add them as I have time so people can listen to them before any votes start.

There are two options from here. If there seems to not be many nominations, then this week would be extended another week and would skip to week 3. If there is an overload of songs, then we would begin...

Week 2 - Nominee elimination (Round 1)
-Nominations will not be accepted at this point. I will have a master list of songs and their respective links. You will be allowed to make a certain number of votes via PM to me, which will be calculated at the end of the week. The songs with the highest vote go on to the 3rd week.

Week 3 - Final elimination and standings
-Again, if week 1's nominations were slim, this would be the first and final cut for those nominations. Otherwise, this will be round two of voting from a new master list. Again, votes will be sent via PM to me and calculated at the end of the week.

Week 4 - Nothing, await Hamsterspeak

Results would be displayed in the next hamsterspeak issue. I was thinking that maybe I could arrange an interview with the top composer(s) (if he/she is still available, obviously). That is just an idea though.

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions should be brought up here.

Last edited by Meatballsub on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question! Does it has to be music written by the author, or just music not used in other games but used well? Because I'm usually more impressed if music is placed and used well, regardless of whether it was original to the author or not.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it is original music (aka NOT the Final Fantasy Victory theme), then it is a good candidate. It doesn't matter whether the author of the game made it or not, as long as it is original and used only in OHR games.

For example, one of my nominations is going to be the normal battle music from Vikings of Midgard, which was composed by Moogle1. Good nomination.

Did that answer your question?
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's kinda lame, the majority of OHR games have ripped music in them.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedMaverickZero wrote:
Well that's kinda lame, the majority of OHR games have ripped music in them.

Um, that is kind of the point in all of this. Commemorating those people who put in hard work to create original music.

If it's not clear already, RIPPED music will NOT be allowed for nominations.
JSH357

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but not enough people use original music to make a contest out of it. My next bonus question for the Top 30 was gonna be this, though.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this idea.

I'll make a deal. If this vote/contest happens (and if enough people are willing to vote), I'll issue a temporary release of Tightfloss Maiden to the community for voting consideration, lifting its six-year hold.

Understand that it'll only be available for the first week (if this thing happens), and that the file I send is not the complete version that I intend to release officially in the near future. But Specplosive put a lot of work into the soundtrack and I'd hate for it to go unnoticed.

This is a great idea, Meatball.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSH357 wrote:
It is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but not enough people use original music to make a contest out of it. My next bonus question for the Top 30 was gonna be this, though.

You are right. There isn't much work out there really, but maybe there is enough to have a list of 5 or 10 songs? Maybe I should drop down the nomination from 3 to 1 per person?

I think we should still consider this as a possibility. It may or may not happen, but let's see what some other people think before we make a decision.

Quote:
I really like this idea.

I'll make a deal. If this vote/contest happens (and if enough people are willing to vote), I'll issue a temporary release of Tightfloss Maiden to the community for voting consideration, lifting its six-year hold.

Understand that it'll only be available for the first week (if this thing happens), and that the file I send is not the complete version that I intend to release officially in the near future. But Specplosive put a lot of work into the soundtrack and I'd hate for it to go unnoticed.

This is a great idea, Meatball.

This sounds good, and I look forward to listening to the music myself if this contest gets underway.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's what I really wanted to know. Take The Seventh Day, or Stop. The music in it ISNT ripped from any other game, but it's all free midis by random composers on the internet. Is that allowed for voting?
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the point was to recognize certain members of CP. Though technically not against the current rules, I think votes strictly for cp members would be more relevant.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, here's what I really wanted to know. Take The Seventh Day, or Stop. The music in it ISNT ripped from any other game, but it's all free midis by random composers on the internet. Is that allowed for voting?

I don't see how taking public domain music from random internet sources is any more original than ripping from other games, the only difference is that it's legal.

I agree that placement of music is an important thing, but it's an entirely separate thing from composing good original music and it wouldn't make sense to treat them as the same thing. It'd work though if there were two categories, one for composition and one for placement.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowiii wrote:

As much as I like work from composers such as Aaron Walz, I'd rather not allow them as nominations.

I like the idea for two categories, but the only thing is many people cannot and will not take the time to play said game to listen to the placement of music for a contest. Like if I haven't played said game, then I couldn't really vote on its placement because I haven't heard the song and the game hand-in-hand. I guess you could lie, but who wants to do that?

Hmm....
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could i submit music that i know the author of? like music not in games but i didnt make.

EDIT: nevermind, i didnt read the above post before.
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatball wrote:
I like the idea for two categories, but the only thing is many people cannot and will not take the time to play said game to listen to the placement of music for a contest. Like if I haven't played said game, then I couldn't really vote on its placement because I haven't heard the song and the game hand-in-hand. I guess you could lie, but who wants to do that?

I thought the whole point of this was to vote on the composition's effect on the map/battle/cutscene it complements. Having a vote on stadalone tracks (without the game) isn't quite so great or original.

It would probably make your life a lot easier to have authors and composers make a list of the games/music that offer originality and for each entry to provide a separate list of the tracks that are original and the ones that aren't (as some games may incorporate original with ripped). This will save the legwork for players, allowing more time for them to make a vote.

However, to bring this back to the issue of placement, if placement were to become a category, I think this would work better as a memory recall exercise. I'm sure there are games that stand out in one's mind as having great music (original or ripped); Tetra still comes to my mind in that regard, though I haven't played it in years. It might lessen the chances of one voting for an individual track, granted, but at least you could get points for an entire set. Or, if Rinku wanted to provide a temporary hosting for old games...

Then again, anything that still uses BAM might go unheard nowadays.

I suppose the bottom line is that this can either work or it won't. You have to decide what you want the contest to do--not the rest of us. Statistically, out of the 400-600 people who actually use the OHR, only four to six participate in contests (or contest votes). So you essentially have the freedom to make this contest what you want because those same four to six people will vote no matter what. They're the ones that keep the spark of participation alive. They'll play individual games to listen for music placement just to keep it alive. Your job is to provide them a narrow list so they don't burn out playing everything, ultimately whittling their numbers from four to zero.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought the whole point of this was to vote on the composition's effect on the map/battle/cutscene it complements. Having a vote on stadalone tracks (without the game) isn't quite so great or original.

Well, in a sense, it is. Chances are someone isn't going to vote on something just for the sake it sounds cool, but also because of its placement in a game.

Quote:
It would probably make your life a lot easier to have authors and composers make a list of the games/music that offer originality and for each entry to provide a separate list of the tracks that are original and the ones that aren't (as some games may incorporate original with ripped). This will save the legwork for players, allowing more time for them to make a vote.

I guess I could work on compiling a list of some games that offer some originality, but ultimately people can still nominate whatever they want, regardless of whether or not it is on my list.

Quote:
However, to bring this back to the issue of placement, if placement were to become a category, I think this would work better as a memory recall exercise. I'm sure there are games that stand out in one's mind as having great music (original or ripped); Tetra still comes to my mind in that regard, though I haven't played it in years. It might lessen the chances of one voting for an individual track, granted, but at least you could get points for an entire set. Or, if Rinku wanted to provide a temporary hosting for old games...

EDIT:
Well, how about three categories:

Best Original Song (Must be original)

Best Soundtrack (Regardless if it's all ripped, somewhat ripped, or completely original. This would be more about its placement)

and...

Best Composer (Has to be a member of the community, active or not, that has made some songs for OHR purposes)

You could nominate up to three pieces/games for each category.

You do not have to provide seperate links to the game or song you nominate, although it would help me tremendously. During the nomination process, I will work hard to try and get links to each game and song mentioned. That way people can get a taste of everything if they please before voting starts.

Chances are I would make nominations last weeks one and two (Oct 1-14), and voting would start on the 15th and last until the 28th.

Seriously though, I am not trying to confuse everyone. I don't know exactly how I want it to work just yet either, which is why chose to propose ideas here before making any concrete decisions.

So?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: