Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

I Made Dis, a retrospect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: I Made Dis, a retrospect Reply with quote

I'm getting pretty close to the release of my next game, Bastard.GUNS, and I wanted to go back and look at the game that defined my role in the community, which, although I can't be sure, seems to be "The crazy person who may or may not have something important to say".

Even if I hadn't made it, it would still be one of my favorite OHR games, but I would only rate it something like a 7 or an 8. The graphics are above average, and the Batman and Crocodile Dundee walkabouts are simply wonderful, but I can, and could, do better. The graphics were a rush job.

The writing process was interesting, when the 48 hour contest came around I wondered what I should do for it. Then I remember a conversation my mom and I had while watching Batman, about his being an eccentric rich man whom the police have to babysit and patronize everytime something happens. A theory that didn't find it's way into the game was that Batman villains were so crazy because they were broadway actors hired by the police force to distract Batman long enough for the cops to get the real job done. I did a few GFX for it and then there was a knock at my door.

At the door was an alcoholic redneck I knew who was one of a handful of men in our community that seemed to like the idea of being a father figure to me. This was in New Mexico, N.M. is where men go when they've fucked up everything else in their lives and want to start over. The redneck (His first name was Grant, middle name Lee, his dad was a klansman and a Civil War buff). He wanted some help hauling lumber, and I'm a helpful guy. It was a sad lonely experience, 6 hours in the woods listening to someone who loves talking and has nothing to say. When I got home I realized that some people were meaningless, and wait a minute here... I'M some people!

It represents a different time of my life I think. It represents my first struggle against nihilism. And for this we have either a statement against or for nihilism, but one way or another that's what it's about.

That can be shown also in how I decided on making the Elvis scene. The Batman scene was very short, and while funny (according to some) I knew that it didn't make a full package. For one thing, I'd made a title screen that had nothing to do with Batman, and it was the only element that didn't fit, so I decided another scenario in anthology format, like Pulp Fiction, would help the product along. That's a pattern in this game, the more I add that doesn't make sense, the more it works as a whole complete package.

Anyways, I looked in a spiral notebook I had and found some sketches I'd made of an old, tough, war veteran looking, handgun wielding Elvis. Then I saw a few sketches of zombies getting messed up real good. The rest is history. The only further explanation I can offer is that I drew these after watching Dawn of the Dead, and reading Bubba Ho-Temp by Joe R. Lansdale (About Elvis vs. The Mummy).

The game was fun, and it was a waste of time. So I included an apology at the end of version one.

Then it was a little strange. I got a 9.0, a 9.5 and a 7.0 on Operation OHR, and people called the game more nihilistic than The Last Job, which had tried and failed to be meaningless. I decided that my game was meaningless, but that it still had meaning... Yeah that's crazy talk, but I felt that if I had made someone laugh at the game, and some people even say it's up there with the masterpiece Arfenhouse, that it couldn't be without merit. So during a much happier but more difficult time in my life (I was moving out of my mom's house to California on my own for the first time), I decided to give it at least the respect that others felt it deserved.

Thus we have one more scene, Crocodile Dundee 4, which was the last 15 minutes of Taxi Driver with Paul Hogan playing the DeNiro character, a few animated scenes, and a poster which came complete on lined paper with a coffee stain and quotes that were either negative or unrelated.

Anyone who's read this far has too much time on their hands, and thanks for caring about what goes into making a game on the emotional level rather than just the technical.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
Seth
Hardcore Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Character limit. Someone really should fix that.
James Paige

Embattled Productions Home
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMD = Sweet
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to fix that problem. I have so many things to do for this site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: