Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

I don't get an .rpg file generated and thus can't distribute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelpmeDoughnut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: I don't get an .rpg file generated and thus can't distribute Reply with quote

Hi
I recently installed ohrrpgce and went on with making an rpg that I (by now) have put quite a load of work into.
I just wanted to stop for today and do something else and of course, I wanted to create a backup copy of my .rpg file as suggested in the tutorial I use.
Now there is the problem
I ran searches in all my ohrrpgce files and after that on my whole pc (which took a huge load of time and mentality from me) but couldn't find an .rpg file other than the vikings game.
I can still load my project from the ohrrpgce folder for some reason although distributing is impossible to me because, well, as I said,I don't have an .rpg file.

I would be really reliefed if anyone knew how to "fix" this or explain to me why this happens or that I'm just an idiot, or at least hear that someone else is experiencing this too.

Thanks and happy new year. Neutral
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your .RPG file should be in the same folder as CUSTOM.EXE

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
HelpmeDoughnut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know,but it isn't it was nowhere to be found at all.
But I already solved the problem:

When you don't run the program as an administrator it won't create an RPG file,it will just have the game saved as a lump or something, so you're basically able to locally work on it and play it but you're unable to share it or open it when running the program as an admin.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have you installed the OHRRPGCE? The default location is C:\OHRRPGCE. Maybe if you install it as an admin it creates the C:\OHRRPGCE folder read-only for non-admin users? C:\Program Files\OHRRPGCE would probably be read-only for recent (Vista and later) versions of Windows.

If the folder containing custom.exe is read-only, then new .rpg files will instead get put in your My Documents folder. Or at least, it checks for the existence of either 'Documents' (Vista+), or 'My Documents' (XP or earlier), but you might have changed the name/location of that folder yourself, or the language for Windows might be set to something other than English. Is that the case?

I had a look, and it appears that if My Documents and Documents are both missing, and custom.exe is in a non-writable folder, then things would go wrong, though I can't test it on Windows XP so don't know what would happen. That's a bug that needs fixing. Where did you find your game? If you open Custom and select "Load Existing Game", then the folder you're in should be indicated.

If you have a folder containing lots of lump files like archinym.lmp, ohrrpgce.d00, then that's fine. If that folder doesn't have a name ending in .rpgdir then you should add that name, and both Custom and Game will treat it equivalent to an .rpg file, and the Distribute Game menu will work. You can convert between .rpg files and .rpgdir folders with the unlump.exe and relump.exe utilities in the support/ directory.
HelpmeDoughnut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I'm using Windows 7 with german language, so yeah that might have been the problem.
But no,I didn't find any lumped data, and I checked the folder I loaded it from multiple times but I couldn't fin any new data.

After a while of trying and not-getting-anything-to-work I decided to try if I can find it by taking out all the files (except the ones neccesary for running .rpg files, as instructed by the guide I use) and then testing every possible .something file.
To my surprise I could load my game without any actual game data in the OHRRPGCE folder (Which I created under programs(x86)), so I decided to take it to the test:
I took game.exe and the other files to another pc and tried loading the game again, but that time around it didn't work anymore, so it had to be lumped data on my pc, but I couldn't find any.

I hope I articulated myself properly because, as I kind of hinted, I speak german as my mother tongue and may make some mistakes that make it hard to understand what I'm saying. Big grin
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you can open and edit your game, then the files have to be *somewhere* on your hard drive.

I suggest opening your rpg in custom, making a small change, and then do a full search of your entire hard drive for all files modified in the last 10 minutes. This will probably find other files too-- since anything running in the background might be changing files, but hopefully the search will produce a short enough list of files that you can just look through until you find your rpg
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, firstly, I am assuming that you're using the last stable release, called Beelzebufo, and not a "nightly build". If you don't know what a nightly is, then you don't have one, so don't worry about that.

You haven't been clear about what you saw. So when you run custom.exe and select 'LOAD EXISTING GAME', do you see your game listed in the file browser, and you can load it? If so, the file browser tells you where the file is, right at the top of the screen, and also as the list of parent directories.

You also said something about your game being unlumped. I guess that you mean that when you run custom.exe NOT as an admin, then it does not save your changes, and when you run custom.exe you get a message like "Found an unlumped copy of a game. Custom might have crashed the last time you ran it". If this is true, then when you select "RECOVER", it will create a file called recovered0.bak, or recovered1.bak, etc. Which is just a .rpg file with a different extension (you have to rename it manually). However, I looked, and it seems that recovering will probably only create those .bak files if you run custom.exe as admin. If you don't, it will simply delete all your changes! Either way, when recovering, your original .rpg file is not changed.

I have a fix for this bug but don't try to download the latest version (nightly build) of the engine just yet. And anyway it won't help you find your game.
HelpmeDoughnut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said multiple times: The file is nowhere to be found, but I don't need any help anymore because I found the reason it did not save.
I appreciate all of your guys help but it's not needed anymore Big grin

And no, the file is not in the file directory given by OHRRPGCE, I am not that inexperienced, I know how file directories work and how to find the given folder.

Also yes, I could load my game from the custom.exe screen, even though no file is present. And yes, I know how to recover lumped data and what that even is (at least after my little adventure with the missing file). I also did an entire search on my whole computer for .rpg files and the lumped files (where I don't remember the file endings right now)

I said all of these things already so I have been quite very totally clear on what I saw and did.

I'm sorry if this seems a little rude regarding all of you trying to help me, but most of the answers here seem like their poster doesn't know I've solved the problem,or has even read these few responses I gave to people helping me.
Have a lovely evening, or day, depending on timezone.
ProblemsolvedDoughnut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have actually sent a screenshot of my files and window if I hadn't deleted it already by overwriting it with new data (which btw has been succesfully saved and become a neat little project of myself which I am proud of and happy with Happy )
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did misunderstand that... but the fact that you're claiming that you can open a file which doesn't exist means that you haven't figured out the location of it yet. I still don't understand that.

If your solution is just to run custom.exe as an admin you could instead put the .rpg file in another directory that you can write to.
This bugfix will be in the next version.
ProblemsolvedDoughnut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks for that,
but I'll just run it as an admin, that works fine for me.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never put (editor) programs into the program files folder. If you save something in those folders on Windows Vista or newer it actually physically goes to:

C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

If you load from the program files folder, windows will actually check both folders and "pretend" the file is actually under program files, even though you can't actually see it there if you use the windows explorer (because it's not there).

Administrator is allowed to save directly into program files, but the better solution is to just not use that folder, because otherwise it's just extremly confusing and you will start to collect files in the virtual store folder because you forgot to run it as admin or something.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
ThankyouMuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks!
Definetly will remember that next time I use a program like that.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Thanks for explaining that. That means we need to detect whether custom.exe is installed in Program Files and if so change where we attempt to save files. Right now I check whether the folder it is installed in is writeable, and if it isn't then failback to saving to the Documents folder.

Maybe that is back-compatibility behaviour that can be turned off (by including a manifest)? I'll look into it later.

You see, this is a perfect example of why you should never stop asking questions when the program is working but you don't understand why -- usually there is a still a bug that needs fixing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum