Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Help with .xm files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PK-Gamer
Currently making an RPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Help with .xm files Reply with quote

Hi all,

I made some .xm files for the project that I'm currently working on. However, when they're played the track is very soft and it seems that the sound effect volume is louder than the music being played. Is there anyway, I can fix this. Also, I made the .xm files orginally converting .org files (Music files made by the Cave Story music editor).
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, neat, tracker files don't get used enough. So did you create the music in the Cave Story editor, or using someone else's? I think I played around with that once.

The reason the module files are quieter when played with the OHR than when you play it with some other program is because actually the OHR volume starts out set to 50% by default, both in Custom and in Game (and you can't change the volume setting in Custom).

Unfortunately the volume setting affects music but not sound effects! So music plays at 50% and music at 100%. You can see this if you play around with the Volume setting in the in-game menu. Obviously this is silly and I think this is a serious bug in the engine which I hope we fix soon. (It's not simple, because MIDI volume is completely separate, and recent versions of Windows completely changed the way MIDI volume works...)

In the meantime, one solution is to set the music volume to 100% by default so that sound effects and music are played at the same volume. (Hopefully it won't make your other music too loud.) You can do that with this one line script. You should call this from your new-game and load-game scripts (or set it as new-game and load-game script if you don't have any).
Code:
plotscript, full volume, begin
  set music volume(255)
end

PK-Gamer
Currently making an RPG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TMC! Actually, I made the music using OrgMaker which is part of the Cave Story editors. OrgMaker is the program that the creator of Cave Story used to make the music for the game.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I found the Org2XM tool here. I was really shocked when I saw who made it: Řrřola! He's famous! He's made the most impressive <= 256 byte intros in the world; have a look at that downloads page.

Does the conversion from .org to .xm change the sound much?

Also, related, a few days ago James posted about a tool to generate random .it songs
PK-Gamer
Currently making an RPG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you make .org files with the latest version orgMaker some of the percussion sounds may not be compatible with the conversion program.
That's the only problem right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum