Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Why do you enjoy working on games?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cavemanerick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Why do you enjoy working on games? Reply with quote

I personally love seeing the world I designed come to life. The feeling can not be compared to anything else. I've taken small steps in improvement in art, writing, and other elements in my games overtime. Figuring out new plot twists or how I could do something better always gives me a feeling of delight.

What about you guys?

I've also discovered I love dialogue in general lol.
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much everything you said is why I enjoy making games/stories/art. Big grin
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathing life into a "world" whether that's literally a world, or just a mechanical system (e.g. Tetris) is awesome. Another (related) thing for me is the game design itself (i.e., planning rather than doing). I'm sure many people have the same problem ;). I like thinking about how to buck trends and create a unique game.
A lot of artists would also agree that imposing limits on yourself is a boon to creativity, or at least productivity. For example limiting yourself to 16 colours and both removes some choices you no longer need to make, and guides you down another path.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Breathing life into a "world" whether that's literally a world, or just a mechanical system (e.g. Tetris) is awesome.

That doesn't sound like you at all!
To me it feels more like you enjoy figuring out complex algorithms. ;-)

I'm honestly not sure how to even reply to this question myself.

When I see the question of the thread, I wonder "DO I enjoy working on games?". If I actually DID enjoy it, I probably wouldn't have problems to get motivated on getting stuff done.

Sure there are a few things I do enjoy about making games, particularly the game design, but the actual MAKING of a game is something I wouldn't say I enjoy. Sure I like to input numbers into a grid (e.g. giving monsters stats) or code a battle system. But the first one hmm, do I enjoy it? It's probably because it's something I can do while listening to music. It's also great to kill some time. But it's not like well going to a theme park. And the latter... well I create battle systems not so much because I enjoy making them, but because I want to PLAY them.

That also goes for games in general that I've made. I didn't make them because I enjoyed making them. I made them because I wanted to play something specific that didn't exist and nobody else wanted to do it, so I had to.

Another motivational factor for me is "other people". Some games I just made for someone else to play. Particularly in an open source project where I develop quite a bit... it was just because I saw so many people playing it and say how bugged it still was and nobody else wanted to fix it, so I just had to. I couldn't just leave it bugged like that.

tl;dr - I don't actually enjoy making games. But I do enjoy playing games I made. And I enjoy others playing games I made.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree that working on games can also be very frustrating, especially, for me, having to draw graphics or fix bugs. But I've always had immense fun in entering 48 hour and other game making contests, just for the frenzy of the game making process itself, rather than for the end result (most of those games did NOT end well!). Especially if you team up with someone else who will handle some of the aspects you don't want to focus on.

On the other hand I've haven't made many attempts at creating a game outside of a contest. It seems less fun that way. Also, without the constraints of a contest the scope of my games tend torapidly get out of control. Then I lose the motivation to invest so much time in them.
Powerstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: uuugh Reply with quote

Everything is awesome when u have 8 ppl workin on 3 games... Razz
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because there are never enough turn-based RPGs out there about a small band of heroes coming together, killing some dangerous monster or evil tyrant, and collecting treasures. To make what difference I can, I try to make more of these.

My favorite parts of making an RPG are assigning stats/costs/effects to items and spells, designing the weapon/armor/item/spell systems and player-side economy (how much money per random battle, how much money for certain upgrades/options in the shops, etc.)

Because RPGs of the gameplay style I like tend to have abysmally terrible, and usually unskippable, stories attached. I'd rather have a story that doesn't suck, or if it's going to suck at least be funny or be easy to get through quickly. Other people want to flex their grand master film school storytelling muscles; I want a minimal story that's either hilarious and wacky or straightforward and makes perfect sense with what little is there.

How many professional RPGs can I think of that meet my criteria for an RPG story well-told? Not many. The first four Dragon Warrior games on NES, the first Final Fantasy and Mystic Quest, Pokemon Red/Blue but none of the sequels, Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year Door, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga...Golden Sun and FFTA missed the mark by talking a little too much for my tastes. A couple of RPGs I haven't played but watched thorough Let's Plays to have been pretty good in this department too, such as Chrono Trigger and Secret of Evermore. Their gameplay style isn't my thing but I'd probably enjoy them if I tried them. EarthBound, too.

The deeper the mechanics are, the deeper I'll tolerate the story, too; Super Paper Mario's story would have been alright if the entire game played better and the flashbacks weren't just white text on a black background (that sure sounds familiar...) and better paced to be mixed in with more gameplay. Instead what we got was a bare-bones platformer with bad platformer level design and some bare-bones RPG mechanics (an inventory of healing items, max HP and Attack power going up with experience but no choice in which to level up when, no character customization, etc).

So I'm here making sure the world has more of the kind of game I like to play and hoping others enjoy it too. Considering one of my games is the most-downloaded on the site, I've got to have done something right!

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: