Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Test Comic strip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushitori Okuro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Test Comic strip Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to practice on the actual thing, so I made a test comic. I made up some random situation and drew it. Working on panel layout and stuff. I still don't know if I should use pen or pencil, this was done in pencil and I couldn't help but shade in pencil. But If I draw it in pen, what should I use to shade?

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/ecoverse/TestComic.html

Im gonna go test with pen now.
Agaraud
Anti-Evil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the childishness of them (which is only truly defined by what I'm conditioned to) I really enjoy your character designs. The only thing I'd change, and I have this complaint with 99% of anime inspired art, is the uniqueness of the characters. You MUST be able to tell them apart at a glance, for the ease of the reader. This is not the case here.

Your layout is good. It has action in it, it's clear, and everything is spaced well. Nicely done.

The action is also clearly depicted, I knew what was happening. The only thing I'd do is have some sort of picture that shows where each of the characters are. I had no idea that the sword wielding character was BEHIND the character with the tail, especially with the first 2 panels drawn as if they were facing each other. The only place where I could see tail-guy turning around is the bottom left panel, and there it isn't clearly drawn. (The body would look different if he was turning, there would be more movement in him, it looks like he's standing.)

In short, it's a good test page! I'm sure the "real thing" can only get better.

ALSO: Use pen for the lines and pencil to shade. It makes for some interesting art, I've done so a number of times. (Just be careful not to smudge the pencil, you have to get it very dark to match the pen sometime. If you want it to, that is.)
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only complaint is that the people kinda look like they have lego heads.
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you draw it in pen, you can use hatching and cross-hatching for shading.
Mushitori Okuro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

The guy who had the guy behind him never faced him, he talked with his back to him. Oookay...

Glad you liked it.

Ill post two pen pics in this thread soon.
Mushitori Okuro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Ok, on the left is how I drew him using only ink. And on the right is ink over pencil lines.

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/ecoverse/InkLine.html

I liked drawing with ink, but I must find a very smooth surface, because I find ink works best on a plastic or glass surface,using a grainy surface to draw on it bad. @_@
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yehaw! Man, your art skills have improved.

Fun on a stick!
Melnazar
Ti-Phil class cartoonist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it's good, and as for the medium, use the one you feel the more comfortable with, this way you'll developt to the best of your abilities.
But perhaps you could try to draw more different emotions? It seems your character are always angry or evil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mushitori Okuro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Varying Emotions Reply with quote

Ok, heres a pic of Okuro with various expressions he will go through in situations in the webcomic and in that other thing.

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/ecoverse/5OkuroExpressions.html

Yeah, he never makes any kind of big smile, he is kind of a serious creature. He's not happy go lucky, thats for sure.

Melnazar: Your right, Ive noticed almost all the pictures I have of my characters, most are angry, but the evil looking ones are intentional since they are villanous. What?!?!
Time Traveler
Time Galactic Power!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, cool. I liked it. The characters look totally original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Agaraud
Anti-Evil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately like the ink much better. Contrast is just plain interesting. I'd like to see you shade (cross hatch) with inks, too. It'd look crisp, clean, and all together better and more professional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: