Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHR Starter Pack Proposal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't base my list on nostalgia, I really think the 'good old games' excel any of the newer games except in plotscripting and music. Name me some games you think are better than those I mentioned graphic-wise and length-wise.

Sure there are new games with awesome plotscripting or that use portraits or custom palettes or any of the new OHRRPGCE features, but those games are usually just to "show off what you can do" game-design-wise and not games where a person outside the OHR community would say "man, this game is awesome", because outsiders won't care much if plotscripting was used or not as long as the game is good.

In fact showing what you can do WITHOUT plotscripting seems to be important to me especially in this case. FUABMX is a good example. White Owl hates plotscripting, he didn't use any in v3 and only one single script to raise the walking speed in v4. Yet he managed to make a game I could replay right now and still enjoy it.

(also there is no v5, that's only the shifted naming of the versions people use here, according to White Owl v4 was the last one, unless he released another one in the past years, just to make sure v4 is the one with me as a side-character and with the increased walking speed and the long gameplay, v3 is the one that's extremely hard, it starts off with having to fight a crazy mouse boss and it uses mainly 3D pre-rendered monster graphics, and yes both are completely different games only with a somewhat similar story and the same main characters)

I mean really, how many complete, JRPG-like games with rather good graphics have been released the past years that you could consider a game you would pay for? At least in the categories I mentioned, those old games are still the best ones.

Looking at the more recent games there are some good ones too, but in completely different categories:
- cartoon-comedy-style RPGs, often long or even complete
- average graphics, average music, RPG demos that are fun to play but nothing really special except for their stories (which doesn't help much since it's not complete)
- highly plotscript-intensive games, that are usually not even RPGs, about which an OHRRPGCE member will think "Wow, what he pulled off there is totally amazing." but an outsider will think "Point?"
- hundreds and hundreds of parody games or games that are intentionally bad usually with a sense of humor only OHR members can consider funny
- several epic-promised games of which I never see more than some epic screenshots or a 5-minute demo that doesn't seem that epic at all

Am I wrong?

Quote:
maybe it could include what not to do, and show games that went terribly wrong?

Well, according to psychology you should never show people how not to do it. Around the area I live in that's one of the most important things teachers learn during their studies. Instead you should always just show how to do it right. People tend to only learn from their own mistakes anyway.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
msw188

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a Starter Pack should not include "examples of what not to do", that's something to be discussed on the boards.

To be fair Rya, when you ask about complete JRPG-like games, you casually overlook that Wingedmene was never even close to complete (unless something has occurred lately), and I think a couple others on that list were not completed either... did Royal's graphics end up in a completed game? He was a little before my time.

I forgot to mention before that I was one of the library->floppy->home people up to about four years ago, but that's no longer true of me.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a dying breed.

Rya.Reisender wrote:
I didn't base my list on nostalgia, I really think the 'good old games' excel any of the newer games except in plotscripting and music. Name me some games you think are better than those I mentioned graphic-wise and length-wise.

I think they did. Try Boundless Ocean for a perfect example.

On a tangent, I really didn't like FUABMX's graphical style. You don't mention when the last time was you played it, either, which was, you know, the point.

Quote:
In fact showing what you can do WITHOUT plotscripting seems to be important to me especially in this case.

Why in the world. Like you said, people outside the community won't know anything about plotscripting. I don't understand why you would deliberately avoid it.

Quote:
I mean really, how many complete, JRPG-like games with rather good graphics have been released the past years that you could consider a game you would pay for?

There's not a single OHR game that I'd pay for.

Quote:
- hundreds and hundreds of parody games or games that are intentionally bad usually with a sense of humor only OHR members can consider funny

Yeah? Name me ten.
WUT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:

SoJ, which I *did* donate/pay money for. Granted, it's leagues above most OHR games though. If James finishes WH, I'll use that as my default answer instead.

I agree with Boundless Ocean making the cut, but the lack of sound effects is REALLY glaring. I'd like to see games that take advantage of more of the engine's features, which by necessity will mean they'll all be recent (unless someone goes back and adds them in {good luck, the file's passworded.})

Also, Final Fantasy H served its purpose admirably. May it rest in peace.

In response to TMC, Vampire's Curse is getting several bugfixes for Halloween. MAYBE some extra content if I feel like it. More weapons would certainly be welcome.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be fair Rya, when you ask about complete JRPG-like games, you casually overlook that Wingedmene was never even close to complete (unless something has occurred lately), and I think a couple others on that list were not completed either... did Royal's graphics end up in a completed game? He was a little before my time.

Yeah most of them weren't finished, but they are well decently long (>5 hours).
That games never get finished is a general problem in RPG Maker communities and was a problem in the OHRRPGCE community since forever.
So yeah I might be a little unfair in that regard saying "complete". EOTE, EOTE2, Orchard's games and Bloodlust are the only complete ones that come to mind currently, if I don't count those that pretend they are complete but have an open-end which is like "End of Chapter 1, wait for Chapter 2!". There's also Moogle1's games and Surlaw's games, but I'm having a hard time considering them JRPG-like. And I guess there's SoJ2 (which somehow got removed from the public, though) and Fenrir's games which I didn't mention above (I'd agree to add them but about FFH, I just consider other games in that genre better and about Viking of Midgard - it was filtered since it was said we don't need to include that one).
So I'll take back "complete" and exchange it with "decently long". Honestly it's just my frustration that spoke there because it's so rare to see a game I'm looking forward to, to be actually finished...

Quote:
I think they did. Try Boundless Ocean for a perfect example.

I said a game which I didn't mention and Boundless Ocean is certainly on my list.
Other than that there's also Bloodlust, which is also on my list. And Orchards other games.

Quote:
On a tangent, I really didn't like FUABMX's graphical style. You don't mention when the last time was you played it, either, which was, you know, the point.

Well I still keep looking at the screenshots and think it looks pretty awesome. Though as I mentioned in my list the style is pretty unique. When I showed my friend who is a professional game artist screenshots of FUABMX and screenshots of one of Royal's games (the re-worked Memoria), he says that the guy who made FUABMX has really bad skills in pixel-art while he considers Royal as someone with a high potential. But when I showed the screenshots to TMC (it was like 2 days ago!) he said that White Owl's graphics look amazing except for the walkabout sprites, while he thought Royal's graphics "aren't all that special". Ask TMC if you don't believe me.
It's not like the graphics are FUABMX used to be good and are now below average after several years. For me they were amazing and still are amazing compared to most OHRRPGCE games and even TMC who didn't even know FUABMX(v3) until I showed him, thinks they are amazing.

Quote:
Why in the world. Like you said, people outside the community won't know anything about plotscripting. I don't understand why you would deliberately avoid it.

Because if this is for a starter pack we should show people what you can do without having to do additional coding. An RPG Maker's purpose is after all to take the programming work away from the game designer. I'm not saying we should completely remove games with plotscripting from the list, I'm saying we should show the game designer both "What you can do without plotscripting" and "How much you can achieve with plotscripting". And FUABMX is a good example of the former while one of your games is a good example for the latter.

Quote:

I'd pay for quite some of the old games if they were actually finished.
Apart from the fact that I don't buy stuff over the internet, I'd probably pay for the following games (if I saw them at a shop after having played a 25% demo):
- a finished FUABMX
- a finished Wingedmene
- a finished Saga of the Mystics
- a finished Phantom Tactics if it was possible to disable perma-death on higher difficulties or normal would at least be a bit easier
- a finished Babel
- City of Dreams, Boundless Ocean, Missing
- Bloodlust
- a JRPG-like game with graphics made by Newbie_Power (like his dropped game), assuming I liked the demo as much as I liked the screenshots
- a finished Wandering Hamster
- there were some other games I don't remember now, but I anticipated them a lot and they never got a second release, if you dug out my votes for the top 30 OHRRPGCE games you'll probably find various of them on that list

Usually I'd go "2 hours enjoyable gameplay is worth $1", so if the game was only 5 hours long I wouldn't pay more than $2.5 for it, but if it was 30 hours long I had no problem paying $15 for it.

I personally wouldn't pay for SoJ2 because I hate the timer system and I wouldn't pay for Fenrir's games because their stories seem too generic to me (sorry).

Quote:
I agree with Boundless Ocean making the cut, but the lack of sound effects is REALLY glaring.

I don't think a game really needs sound effects to be good. In some games they are just annoying and most people I know play most games with sound off if the soundtrack isn't really extremely good. I mean there are games that really need sound effects for example Bloodlust. It wouldn't be the same without them. But games like FUABMX don't need them at all and Boundless Ocean would only need them for some cutscenes and even there it isn't really needed.

Quote:
In response to TMC, Vampire's Curse is getting several bugfixes for Halloween. MAYBE some extra content if I feel like it. More weapons would certainly be welcome.

Wait a moment, are you really talking about Vampire's Curse?
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
I'm saying we should show the game designer both "What you can do without plotscripting" and "How much you can achieve with plotscripting".

But that's transparent to them. They don't know what's plotscripting and what's not (unless it's done poorly). The point is to show off the engine. For that, you want a wide variety of high-quality games. Game length really doesn't matter for that purpose, but finished games are obviously preferable.

I think the problem is that you're approaching this as a "Favorite Games" bundle rather than a "Check This Stuff Out" bundle. The point isn't how much you like the games, it's how good they'd look to someone who knows nothing about the OHRRPGCE.
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I take out all of my personal preferences, I still would say it's important to show non-OHRRPGCE people a game without plotscripting. It's neither about personal preferences nor about "showing off how good those games are". It should be more of "With that little effort you can do something like this" and "With a little more effort, something like this is possible too". I know you love plotscripting like your own child, but really, I can imagine that most of the game designers that look for an RPG Maker do not want to do additional scripting and for that you need to show them what they can do without it, too.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing the point. They don't know by looking at a game how much plotscripting or anything else is required. To an outsider, FUABMX looks just as hard to program as Timpoline.

More to the point, games have already been suggested that use little or no plotscripting. It's still important that they have polish, and nowadays that might include sound effects, portraits, and more. Looking at FUABMX now, I might wonder why all of the cutscenes are displayed via pictures. Can the engine not handle simple NPC movement? The engine's core feature set -- even excluding plotscripting -- has advanced considerably in the last five years, and those are features you'd want to expose to new potential users.

And it is definitely about "showing off how good those games are." This is my third time saying this, but there is no concept of how difficult it is to make a certain game unless you're already familiar with the engine. Throw plotscripting out of the equation and analyze the games based on their own merits.
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can always include a file that explains why each game was picked as an example and in which area. Then you can simply write something like "This game was made completely without additional coding effort".

Also whether you like pictures in cutscenes more or portraits is mostly a personal taste and you can't say that one thing is bad design and the other isn't.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Additional coding effort" is probably meaningless to them too.

And your pictures/cutscenes/portraits remark is completely ignoring the larger issue.
WUT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Wait a moment, are you really talking about Vampire's Curse?

Yep. Not Curse of Vampire, which is another fabulous game, I might add - but the one where you play as a Nosferatu.

Also, having the file that explains WHY certain games were picked does sound like a fantastic idea.

Moreover, I've never played FUABMX, Babel, Saga of the Mystics, Spellshard, EOTE2 or any of the so-called "greats". I did get a kick out of Walthros though, which is fantastic.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Moreover, I've never played FUABMX, Babel, Saga of the Mystics, Spellshard, EOTE2 or any of the so-called "greats". I did get a kick out of Walthros though, which is fantastic.

Sounds to me that you should play more OHRRPGCE games.

Quote:
Yep. Not Curse of Vampire, which is another fabulous game, I might add - but the one where you play as a Nosferatu.

Oh yeah I guess I got those two mixed up.

Looks like Moogle and me could go on discussing forever about everything. Would be cool if he was like my real life friend and sits next to me in class and then... jeez I watch to many animes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: