Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Sprites: Walkabouts vs. Big Enemies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Sprites: Walkabouts vs. Big Enemies Reply with quote

I've noticed something lately. I've been investing a much larger amount of time into Walkabout sprites than any other sort. I couldn't help but laugh when I thought "20x20 sprites are hard work!" On the other hand, I feel like I can churn out those big ol' 80x80 enemy sprites every half hour or so.
Why is this? Let's find out!

VS.

It's obvious! Walkabouts are the best source of animation in the entire OHRRPGCE, and really add to the flavor of game scenarios. Big Enemies are big, sometimes thoroughly detailed, but always static.

I conclude that walkabout animations make for harder work, but which type looks better? This is the new question.
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work on the attack animation, but I'm not too fond of the walking portion...

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably because the power of a single pixel is much greater in a walkabout.

The downward movement animation is fine, but if this were Pixelation, I'm sure they would tell you that for the horizontal movement attack swing, there needs to be more build up in the swing. He just kinda pumps his arm back then the resulting swing is more extreme.

You can look at your downward moving sprite for reference. He pulls the sword back behind him much farther, so he has the proper buildup for the downward swing.

My only other critique is that these smaller sprites need more contrast in the shades, because they absolutely need them to show volumetric detail, otherwise it just kinda blurs together like a color blob.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*laughs* I imagined this would turn into a debate (VoM battle sprites vs. Phantom Tactics or something), but a critique is fine too.

The smaller sprites were made with a more limited palette - their cloaks have only 3 colors, which are pretty similar. I'll experiment with the colors and see what happens.
EDIT: Fixed this. Turns out those 3 colors were right next to each other in the palette, which is never a good idea.

As for the 2-frame walking animations, I guess they need to be more subtle, but I'm hesitant to change much because almost all of Viridia's walking frames are built like this.

EDIT 2: Here's a retry of the side-attack animation. It's also got the updated palette and is even reversible.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconlabs wrote:
*laughs* I imagined this would turn into a debate (VoM battle sprites vs. Phantom Tactics or something), but a critique is fine too.

That would be a pretty bad debate -- VoM doesn't have animated battle graphics. Happy Of course, I'm biased: I think Twinhamster has done a tremendous job with the Phantom Tactics battle animations.

<-- I mean, look at that guy go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: