Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Check out my latest attempt at drawing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ysoft_Entertainment
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Check out my latest attempt at drawing Reply with quote

Recently I stumbled upon a really cool site that teaches you how to draw, so I followed the tutorial and here is what came out. The drawing was done using Gimp 2.4(I love this software:))

Opinions anyone?

ps: Here is the site, check it out, you might learn something. I know I did
http://www.drawingnow.com/how-to-draw-sakura.html(this is the tutorial I followed)
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I guess that looks pretty close to what the tutorial told you to do?

Now you should try taking that lesson to make your own stuff.
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the neck is a bit too long, and the chin is pointy, but good start. keep at it!
the fool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those eyes are seriously freaking me out.
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Those eyes are seriously freaking me out.

Well, if those freak you out wait till I draw Ino(if I ever will), that girl doesn't have any pupils. And they kinda freak me out too.

Oh and about the neck, I noticed that it was too long after I completed the picture.

But for the first try, I am pretty proud of this picture.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-it's the nose. The fact that she doesn't have one, but how close the nostrils are to the mouth certainly adds to it.
I think the biggest problem with the eyes is that they're too far apart.
These elements together give her a very...alien appearance.

Okay, so the eyes are the reference pictures fault, but if you'll notice, he put some shading around the nostrils to imply the nose's shape.
Your drawing's missing this and it shows. There are reasons you don't just make nostrils and call it a nose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty cool.

I like the method that tutorial website uses.

I would love to see some step-by-step videos like that for pixel art.
Ysoft_Entertainment
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncommon wrote:
I-it's the nose. The fact that she doesn't have one, but how close the nostrils are to the mouth certainly adds to it.
I think the biggest problem with the eyes is that they're too far apart.
These elements together give her a very...alien appearance.

Okay, so the eyes are the reference pictures fault, but if you'll notice, he put some shading around the nostrils to imply the nose's shape.
Your drawing's missing this and it shows. There are reasons you don't just make nostrils and call it a nose.

Perhaps it would be better to just use a "<" for the nose like all the other manga characters have. With the shading of the nose, the picture looks even uglier for some reason, so I just thought that the 2 dots were better.

As for the eyes, the reason that they are too far apart is because I haven't grasped the the whole size and distance of the lines yet(not sure how to correctly put it into words). Besides, the distance between the eyes in my picture is about 10th of the eye longer then the reference picture so I don't think its that bad. Truth be told, I don't like the way the author draws eyes, but hey, at least he or she is willing to share the knowledge.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*flies to the rescue*

I looked at references for Sakura, ignoring everything that is fan art.

1. You have to draw the holes differently to suggest a more human shape. The tutorial uses two very large holes drilled into her face, making her look like a pig.

Reference pic as to how Naruto does it. They used two curved, tiny lines, then they used shading to suggest shape*.

2. The eyes should be one eye-length apart.

3. The eyes were obviously meant to be shaded, so I used tiny lines to shade it since I don't get color to do so.

------

*I ended up using traditional manga nose style for my edit.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, before attempting to continue further in drawing anime characters, learn how human proportions work, and how humans are shaped. I've been trying to improve on this myself.

Anime are just cartoons. They have limitations to them that make them difficult to learn fundamentals from.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Ysoft_Entertainment
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Its definitely better then my pic. I know that the eyes have to be at least an eye apart from each other, and also the reference I used wasn't that accurate but hey, beggars can't be choosers.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nice. Its definitely better then my pic. I know that the eyes have to be at least an eye apart from each other, and also the reference I used wasn't that accurate but hey, beggars can't be choosers.
Alright, but how do you respond to the rest of my (and especially TwinHamster's) advice?

Ysoft_Entertainment
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to twinhamster: I plan to do my own drawings after I do couple of the tutorials to get the feel of things.

In response to newbie power: I happen to like manga style approach to drawing, thats one of the reasons I wanted to start drawing in the first place.

Here is the modified picture, I think it looks better then the first I did.

As you can see, I somewhat followed newbiepower's advice. I tried to shade it the way that it looks in the original naruto reference, I think it turned out OK.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In response to newbie power: I happen to like manga style approach to drawing, thats one of the reasons I wanted to start drawing in the first place.
You can learn anatomy of real people then apply it to anime/manga, because then you'll learn how to make things look correct without having to sacrifice your style. You really shouldn't rely on insta-tutorials as your final answer.

LongeBane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey so what did you learn from this tutorial?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: