Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Round 1 Over!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfenix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Round 1 Over! Reply with quote

Well, at the time of me typing this, there's technically 20 minutes left.

But, anyways, this is the time to post up your entries for the first round.
haappy-aardvark
aka Eagtile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I clearly don't understand time zones... or maybe the contest wasn't midnight to midnight like I thought...

I read the theme at 1am Saturday and posted my finished game at 11:50pm Sunday my time. CP says I posted it at 9:52pm, whatever time zone that is. Sorry if I missed the deadline, I suppose that's my own fault for not figuring out the time difference. I'll understand if disqualification is necessary, but I'm still pretty happy with the game.

I don't know if this is place to post the link, but my game, "Catacombs", is now posted here:

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=842
djfenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. i guess Haappy-aardvark wins by default
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Retro-OHR Graphics.
It's been a while since I've seen a game with those.

Anyways, Congrats on the win :p
haappy-aardvark
aka Eagtile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm.... cool?

No other entries? That's depressing... looks like I could have won with just a title screen... wasn't RedMaverickZero going to enter a game?

Well, maybe subsequent rounds will see a greater participation rate...

I'm pretty sure there were 10-15 entries in the last 48 hour contest I was in. Bagne and I took last place in that one with "Boartok's Eggplant". Ouch.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I didn't even realize you were Eagtile until I saw the screenshot. This was going to be a question, but then I saw your custom title. Anyone else remember Help Wanted? That wasn't a bad game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMZ dropped out of this round.

I want to say I played Help Wanted. All I can remember, though, is that it was a 48hr game with an amusing storyline.
aka Eagtile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Help Wanted is up on the CP game list...

Yes, the storyline was full of random (not terribly clever) absurdity... but my personal favorite part is the stupid end boss fight against the happy face.

It's kind of weird how people remember this game from 5 years ago...
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I died on the last boss because I didn't watch my health. Sorry, I couldn't be bothered replaying that whole section. The random dungeons was an interesting feature, but the battles (especially the slimes when I only found a weapon right at the end of the first section) were a bit repetitive.

I remember Help Wanted as that 48 hours game I played half of, but always wanted to finish (lazy gamer).

And I just finally came up with an idea for this contest, with a bent interpretation of the theme, of course. Looks like the world will never know Mystery Tetris

Looking forward to next week.
haappy-aardvark
aka Eagtile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the slimes are an issue... as are some of the bosses. I noticed that on my most recent playthrough.

Balancing is difficult when you find items randomly... In fact, the two times my brother played through during its creation, it was far too easy.

There's definitely a couple things I'll change when the contest is over:
-summons are too weak
-bosses healing themselves is frustrating
-not being able to return to the save point before bosses

If there are any other comments, I'd like to hear them. Thanks, Cacti.

Last edited by haappy-aardvark on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
djfenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be really into dungeon crawlers recently, so this was pretty cool to play. Although, getting the "target" spell three times in the first dungeon was a little frustrating Ha ha ha!

I think you did a really good job
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I really really wanted to enter this time. But like, with being sick, not being motivated enough, and having to work like 15 hours out of the 48 I just couldn't do it. Hopefully I'll feel better for the next round, cause I wonna enter.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the game was mostly too easy (with too many enemies). Certain pieces of equipment, especially the weapon, and I think also the armor were much more vital than others, and not encountering them was a problem (could that be smoothed out?). But don't make the bosses too easy, their challenges were fun. Do they have unlimited MP for healing?

You could add a random save point, somewhere near the boss. Admittedly, the game already has save points closer together than most RPGs, but they have save points before bosses.

Randomness in more things would be very nice. Random statues and things. The map layout was pretty cool.

I was often cornered by enemies and had to kill all of them. Do different rooms have different numbers/types of enemies? I know that they move about during the game, but what about keeping crowds to open areas (freezing enemies until you get close to their room)?
haappy-aardvark
aka Eagtile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, fenix, I'm glad you liked it. I'm definitely looking forward to the next round (not that I'll have nearly as much time).

Cacti, I had just finished typing up an interesting and lengthy discussion about the things you brought up, but our wonderful friend, the phpbb software, all of a sudden decided that I was not logged in and deleted my post. I guess that will have to wait for another day, but you gave me some good ideas for when I touch it up. Thanks.

Edit: Here's a summary of the stuff I never said yesterday. Having all of the equipment is pretty vital. It's hard to notice, but the treasure you find in the boss room of each dungeon is always the same. That way you always have a weapon by the end of the first dungeon, decent armor by the end of the second... etc. Maybe I could look into changing that around a bit though.

The bosses don't need MP for healing because they use the same attack the healing items use. I was trying to save time... but unlimited healing for bosses is pretty silly.

I thought it would mess with the scripting to put a save point in the dungeons, but now that I think about it, it wouldn't be all that hard. I think I would prefer allowing you to warp back to Limbo (and heal and save and stuff) prior to a boss. Then when you played the chapter again, you'd be right at the boss (although the dungeon would be different).

Other maptiles and rooms would definitely be cool. Like some Diablo-esque rooms like libraries (where you always find spells) or armories. Maybe rooms that heal you or 'shrines' that mess with your stats.

As for the enemy movement, they just use the engine's 'chase you' AI (but they move towards you no matter how far away you are from them, so crowds are formed), so it would be a lot of work to rescript their movement. I think what I'll do is put some invisible step-on don't-do-anything NPCs at all of the entrances to keep enemies in their respective rooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: