Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Want to laugh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zetes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Want to laugh? Reply with quote

This is a quick, terrible sketch done by bellwaks and myself. I did everything but the moon man.

http://www11.brinkster.com/yupples/g%F6dsvin%20f%E5nig%20kolgruva/Sun%20and%20the%20Moon%20Man.jpg

I think my guy is okay, but geez. anyway, comment and critique, because I want to become a better artist.

edit: copy+paste the url.
Royal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey zetes! good to see youre uploading pictures too, ok here's my thoughts since you stated out that you want to improve I'll go hard on ya Wink

First, don't post pictures with this resolution, it's gravely annoying since you can't see the whole picture, the high resolution is good for printing and for details (I always paint in like 3000*3000 but only post in say 700*900) and since this is obviously a very fast sketch the oversized image isn't necessary.
(I put up a more suitable res)

For composition I think it's a good tip to do thumbnails before you actually go into details, this way you know where to put stuff and you don't have to worry about things like focus and perspective, I don't think you did that here. I can't really tell what's going on in the pic, there are two guys but what is the story? the background is really confusing since it lacks depht.
Work from reference alot more and study some general rules for perspective, there are alot of good books out there. Also try to narrow down youre picture focus, there is alot of empty space in this illustration which is quite boring to look at.

Another thing you should practice on is to get rid of "the chicken lines". It seems like youre scrubbing your way through a line instead of making one smooth, this is a common mistake many people do. You have to have confident in what you draw or else the image will lose volume and looks cheesy.
For the guy, there are several mistakes in anatomy that you can easily avoid by dividing up the body in primitives (quick&bad example but you get the general idea)

you should also try to make more interesting poses if this is a picture with action in it, go for a much more dynamic pose.
Hope I made some sense with this, keep on practicing and study some art books it will do you alot good Happy
zetes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thanks for the comments.

about the thumbnail, the only reason I did not do that is because I did not know how to, heh.

Also, I am planning to start working through a perspective book this summer. That will help muchly.

whee. Happy
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice to to you Zetes.... Draw. Draw draw draw draw. Draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw. Until it HURTS. Repeat for next 10-15 years of your life.
Komera

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I bother trying to critique when Royal is obviously going to get there before I do? And it's a good thing Royal bothered to post the smaller image because I'd hate to think this comprises the entirety of your picture.

Quote:
HTTP1.1 STATUS 403 Remote Access to this object forbidden This file cannot be directly accessed from a remote site, but must be linked through the Brinkster Member's site.

That was even with copying and pasting the url.

A good rule of thumb is to only post images at 72dpi (or 75), that being the standard monitor dpi... though lately most programs only do 72dpi as a custom dpi, with 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, etc being presets. And normally I make sure to make the width no more than 400 pixels... because it's more of a hassle to scroll horizontally to see a picture than to scroll vertically.

On the other hand, if you intend to work on a picture... much less PRINT the sucker, by all means scan at a higher resolution. Most of my in progress works (read: psd files) are at 300dpi, though publishing houses like working with 600dpi. As my work is just submissions and not actual illustrations yet, I can get away with this because editors are understanding of the limitations of home printers... and mine quits adding details after 300.

Rather than give you the catch-all suggestion of continuous drawing... I suggest choosing a particular subject or theme and practice with that (though I suspect Rolling Stone would disagree with me)... I don't mean draw the exact same picture over and over (for we all know of those girls who try to impress others with their amazing drawing skills by drawing the exact same stylized dog peeking over a flat surface every time)... I mean whatever you like, draw that in a variety of ways. And if the subject bores you after a while... pick a new subject. While this might sound like the same ol' keep at it speach, continuous drawing with no focus amounts to as much as a mindless doodle.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Royal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More art so we don't have to compete about critiques! Big grin
Hehe
Good suggestions Komera
Misteroo
Castle Guard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it many times before. Continuous practice will eventually make you better at what you do.

I can't say anything else that Royal hasn't already said ^_^;;

Rpeanut
Chop Chop

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: What, all you peoples have scanners??? Reply with quote

What' you people have scanners, .... no wonder you guys are good,
I'm 2 poor to get a scanner, and another paint program.....

But still, MS PAINT ROCKS, VIVA LA MS PAINT!!! :flamedevil:
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, MSpaint is one of the most god-awful programs ever. Times 5. Have you even used any other art programs? MSPaint has the most terrible palette management I've ever seen, for starters, you can't have multiple pictures opened on the screen at once, and there's no apparent 'soft edge' that gives the feeling you're actually DRAWING something. It's incredibly hard to use, and you can make something that looks much, much better using another art program in less than half the time it took you in MSPaint.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving dead threads is evil. Hint: Don't do it ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*agrees reviving dead threads is evil... but this is a nessisary correction*

Correction to my above post about monitor dpi:
Most new monitors display at 96dpi. Older monitors display at 72dpi. The standard for the web is 72dpi, and thus programs that make graphics for the web only (yes, there are some specifically for that) normally only make graphics at 72dpi. However, most people (who bother to resize an image) post graphics at 100dpi... which is just a little above that 96dpi that new monitors can do.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Rpeanut
Chop Chop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dead Threads"???... anyways, i do use another program, idraw, and Ultimate Paint, though it's gonna run out in say 10 more times I use it. Oookay... but still Mspaint is fine with me still, except it's ^*(^*()^*()^*() Pissed off! palette is so hard to change from 24 to 16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: