Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Freakin' graphics programs!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Machu
Righter, a person who rights wrongs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Freakin' graphics programs! Reply with quote

I need something old-school yet limitless for a pixelating program. Something like OHR's graphics editor, only not specifically for OHR. Most specifically, I want a pixeling program that relies as much as possible on the keyboard! I want to move a cursor with the cursor keys; and then place a pixel with space. I want the tools to be hotkeyed and I want to move between pallette colors by using , and . or even shift+, and shift+. . I'm really twitchy, you see. I grew up playing video games and practicing piano, so I'm swift with my fingers, but I can't draw a straight line and my handwriting sucks if I'm not resting my wrist right next to the surface. In other words, I hate using the mouse or touchpad for things as precise as pixel art. Gimme a pixel program that uses buttons! I like buttons!
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try NeoPaint. It's a program that Orchard linked me off to back when I was stuck with a Win95 computer. I think it's as good quality/old school as you can get with a pixelating program.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Machu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: http://lexwrong.ytmnd.com/

I don't see any of the functionality I asked for in this program, or even a way to zoom in, or even a way to draw one pixel at a time. This program has absolutely nothing to do with pixelating, and I bet you just posted it without reading my post and just saw "graphics program" in the subject title.

Unless, of course, we are talking about two different things. I'm talking about the demo I downloaded at that site, and you might be talking about a different, older program that they don't have anymore or has the same name. If that's the case, then it's your link that's WRONG!
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find anything cool, be sure to add it to 'Graphics Utilities'

EDIT: Hey, try out GraphicsGale. It looks cool, but I can't test it on my Linux box or my Mac or my other linux box (or my other linux box, or my other linux box,or my other linux box...)
Machu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've tried Graphics Gale. On more than one occastion, if I recall. Limited time trials are my least favorite kind of demo. It took way too long to get used too, but what's there is decent enough. Maybe the animation might be easier, but I didn't have that kind of dedication. It still isn't the super keyboard program I wanted, though.

Damn, I'm going to post a reward soon for finding it. I seriously NEED this.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machu wrote:
Yeah, I've tried Graphics Gale. On more than one occastion, if I recall. Limited time trials are my least favorite kind of demo. It took way too long to get used too, but what's there is decent enough. Maybe the animation might be easier, but I didn't have that kind of dedication. It still isn't the super keyboard program I wanted, though.

Wait, did you use the free version or the shareware version? Was the free version time-limited? The shareware version's extra features are pretty irrelvant.
Machu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to let you kids know about the closest I could find:

Paint.NET appears to be decently featured, and it's got keyboard shortcuts and most importantly, the cursor keys move the mouse pointer to the next cell while zoomed in. However, there isn't any keyboard button to act as "left mouse click", but I'm getting used to having one hand on the cursors and another on the mouse buttons, though I have to be careful not to actually move the mouse. That's kinda annoying, but it's the closest thing I could find (and free, yes).
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're that desperate, you could use the general purpose version of the OHR's tile editor... which might be useful if upgraded to run in anything higher than 320x200. Alot of people around here seem to like the interface and can't find anything similiar, which makes me think it might be worth doing.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very fond of Paint Shop Pro 8, although for working with OHR, I just use OHR itself.
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a function that allows you to use keys to control the mouse pointer? With that, you could use the keys to draw.

If you do that, I suggest that you try Graphics Gale (The free edition. It's not a trial.) because it has really easy palette functions for a free program. Other than that, the GIMP could be a good choice.

I haven't used Paint.net, though I hear it is a big step up from the original Paint.
Valigarmander
Bye-Bye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the OHR itself. Works good enough for me.
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is old as time itself, and I'm not sure if you come here anymore, but I believe that I may have found the answer to your prayer:

http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/features.html

I'm about to download it and see how it does.

EDIT: And I see it's been on the Graphics page since its inception. Not sure if you tried it.

It has all of the functions that you wanted. the Directional buttons control the cursor, Enter places a pixel, and [ and ] change the palette. Since it has palette keeping abilities, it should be easy to import stuff into the OHR and out of the OHR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: