Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A few sprites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jes42
Tourist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: A few sprites Reply with quote

Here's a walkabout from my game (still in design phase)

Comments please! There will probably be more to follow.
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I noticed is the perspective seems a little off. It looks more like we're viewing him straight on as opposed to slightly three-quarters. This will become obvious when you try to put him in a three-quarters map.

I made a quick little edit to give you a few ideas about how you can acheive this:

As you can see, there's a few problems I didn't really bother fixing (The black in the eyes mixing with the black in the bandana (which you might think about removing anyway. I didn't really finish the waist. etc. The idea is that you have to think a little more rounded as opposed to flat because it's not looking straight at the person.))

The general idea is that you have to do when doing sprites like this is to think that the player is looking at the character in a raised view and not directly at them.

I don't know if I like the walking animation. I think again that you're thinking too flat-planed. The arm not in motion seems to be at the side of the body while the other is doing some sort of odd elbow bending. I also think that the legs might be going too far to the side, and it will look like the character is shuffling his legs even more than if they were closer to the body. (I know that it will always look like the character is shuffling when you're dealing with 2 frames for walking, but it is the job of the OHRRPGCE artist to embrace this limit, as it can be exaggerated.)

Overall, I think this is a great start.
Mr B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look, but you're going to end up with some very frustrating visual effects.

The left, right, and down sprites (I couldn't tell for the up sprites, but perhaps they also have this problem) have the arms matching the motion of the legs. Arms are supposed to do the opposite of the legs. That is, when my left leg is stepping forward, my left arm moves backwards.

Also, what Calehay said.

Good start -- keep working on this guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: