Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

More weird designs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: More weird designs... Reply with quote

Ok here's some more weird stuff, they're a bit old but I'll put em up anyways Happy

For a contest were too lazy to do a background.

Just a colored sketch

Ben the bunny

Tell me your thoughts
zetes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1: awesome. I like the tenticle style. True it lacks from the loss of a backround, but it is great all in all.

#2: my least favorite of the three, simply because I don't like the style as much. But that doesn't make it any less incredible. the facial expressions wierd me out. Razz

#3: my favorite of the three. Ben the bunny is sooo cyutt! Also, the man has a lot of personality. Thats awesome. Ben the bunny just may become my avatar... woot.
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I conclude that Royal spent all his time away from the OHR community dropping acid and playing with an erector set. I just have to say that if I ever lose a body part, I'm gonna have Royal design my prosthetic part. I'd offer some criticism, but these characters exist in a world that I don't think I'll ever understand, so it's best to just admire how pretty and insane they are.

Seriously, you've been doing drugs haven't you?

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
zetes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha... look at my avatar. I may minimise it though... thats honking huge.
Royal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zetes; Thanks man, I'll keep em coming

Rolling stone; Ha ha ha! Youre funny man!
About designs, I know these are whacked beyond reckognition, but I came to point where the only things I could draw where guys with huge swords and mangacharacters (umm may be the same thing) so I just started to dig in on the most weird stuff I could imagine just to try my limits. I know alot of ppl don't like the motives, find them scary or offensive but what the hell, I just like adding a bit of my twisted humor in them. Oh yeah...I also took some acid Really confused

Edit; Next time I will make a more "traditional motive" Ha ha ha!
Komera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know it's coming... my turn that is. I'm a little pressed on time right now, so if the cretiques seem a little short, that's why.

A background would have been nice of course, but because of your lighting, it looks rather like he's in a photographer's studio posing for a portrait. It looks like there is one strong yellow light source and one weaker blue one, but the shadows are only visible from the stronger one. When multiple lights are used, especially in different colors, it is quite common for the shadows to be colored. The traditional classic view (I'll insert appropriate book here when I unbury it from ye stack of books) of shadows says that shadows cast by colored objects tend to be the color's complimentary.

That a monster would pose in a photographer's studio is kinda whimsical. I personally would have put a beefier head on it, but the one you have given it works well... though it reminds me of something one would expect to see on the old TMNT cartoons. The sole hand does not seem meaty enough to go with the rest of it, though.

Probably not finished. The larger looks like a stupid (I mean inteligence wise) lacky of a uberbad space antagonist in a space-cowboy cartoon. The smaller... fish-monkey? That's what it looks like anyway... It feels remarkably unfinished and drags the rest of the picture down.

You would fit remarkably well in the Leonardo portion of the birdman competition, I suspect. It looks to me like an unlucky prospector who's been tinkering around in his garage a few too many nights. The velvetine rabbit (such as I have personally dubbed it) is a cute addition. There seems to be a blue lightsource just off the picture, and personally I'd like to see what it is (a staticy videoscreen he's been working on?). Is there only four fingers (three and a thumb) on his right hand? Or is it the perspective hiding a fifth? And doesn't he seem just a little remarkably clean? I can see filth, yes... but it doesn't seem to be enough for a personality like his (or a personality as I see in him, rather).

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a movie series where they wait 5-10 years between sequels and come back with something refreshingly and dangerously different than the first movie. I got into a similar funk too. As a gigantic fan of Amano Yoshitaka, I got to where I couldn't draw anything that didn't look like an androgynous character David Bowie had played. In fact, the art I'm doing for my game is still like that in a lot of ways, but I've taken lately to drawing 'ugly folk'. More troll like than elvish. I need a damn scanner, and you need to send me some tabs of whatever you been takin'.

BTW, no. 2 is my favorite.

Edit: I like the lack of a visible light source in 3. It reminds me of the corny B movie and comic book tradition of putting an eerie glow into all of the mad scientists closeups. I think he should keep that glow even if the rest of the picture is pitch dark.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620

Last edited by Rolling Stone on Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Komera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had a scanner, too... I accidentally stepped on the last one when we were unpacking after coming back from the Rodeo-Chedeski wildfires evacuation. The glass that holds the paper flat is shattered.

And no, Rinku, I am NOT going to wrap it in saran wrap and try to work it that way!

Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 12:16 PM, and I check Castle Paradox forums. "Oh look! Royal put up new art work! Sure, that one with the guy and the guinea pigs was cool, but there's no way he can whip out that kind of stuff all the time"

Looks at art.

Faints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Misteroo
Castle Guard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... VERY nice work, Royal!

Royal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops forgot to answer your comments...

Komera; #1 Heh photostudio, never thought about that, good point about the shadows, my first intent was to make him with king kong type size in the middle of a city, but as I said, too lazy.

#2 it's finished but also the oldest of the three, the monkey should been spent more time on as well as the other creature.

#3 Leonardo competition?, tell me more. Cool thing I got you to start wondering about his personality, that makes me happy Happy Want to do this guy in 3d some day.

RS; Heh good point

Squall&Misteroo; Happy
Komera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Birdman Competition is held on some pier on the coast of England every year... the exact details elude me- as it's been many years ago when I first heard of this. Someone set aside a large portion of pounds (maybe equal to $10,000 in US dollars, or maybe just $1,000... I dunno) for whoever could fly a non-machine powered, one man, heavier than air craft from the end of the pier for a pre-determined distance (something like 100 meters). The last I heard, the prize was still unclaimed.

There are three catagories. Kingfisher, Leonardo, and Man Powered.

Kingfisher is the least serious of the three. Participants dress up in costumes and jump off the pier in costume. The object is to get the most laughs. Money from this catagory goes to charity.

The participants of the Leonardo catagory try to fly unlikely crafts- such as things that Leonardo himself might have designed. The point of this catagory is (of course) ingenuity.

The Man Powered catagory has the most serious people. These are the ones most likely to succeed- though evidently no one has done the entire 100 meters (or whatever the distance is) yet. These guys build what pretty much amounts to man powered kites.

Chaz VanLanden
I believe its a Cat god...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh... That guys missing an arm.....Hee hee hee... All in all very good.... VERY good....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: