Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Have you downloaded the Deadly Illusion demo yet?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Have you downloaded the Deadly Illusion demo yet? Reply with quote

I just want some feedback from people who have played it thus far. Did you encounter any bugs? Did you encounter anything that I did unintentional?
I know of one bug that is currently in version 2, please ignore it. At the end of version 2 Hex is in your party for some reason, and he's not suspossed to be. The bug is already fixed and will be forgotten in version 2.5 coming soon.
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about good and evil bored me to death, the thing about wanting to leave the island to have an adventure but his father being scared of the outside world was interesting. It was all well written, the character's have seperate personalities.... I just didn't care. I've seen so many RPGs that one is just like the next. Even an RPG written by Mark Twain would bore me to death if it were just an RPG. I think that my game Bastard.GUNS 1982 is closer to a light gun game than an RPG, despite it's lack of a light gun. I think Evil Dead: Timeline is closer to a survival horror. Powerstick Man is closer to a comic book than an RPG.

So maybe your game is good, it may even be great. But... I don't care. RPG's are boring. You can use the RPG interface to make an interesting game, but do something I haven't seen before. Excite and surprise me. If you have a good story, write a book. If you have a good video game idea, make a video game. But I've already played Chrono Cross, Xenogears, FF7, 8 and 9, I've played Suikoden, Wild Arms, I've played more RPGs than I'd care to remember, and they're stale. They're entirely stale, like fighting games, like platformers. Give me your own game, give me the game you want people to play. Don't give me FF4 with a new story. Give me something I've never played before.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
RPGrealm5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I intend on doing. Something no one has ever seen before in an RPG. I'm going for originality, as well as inspiration. Just hold on a while until I get a finished product. The pretty world that you see in the demo won't last for long...
Gnome
Trix Bunny Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: me 2 Reply with quote

I agree with Rolling Stone, all RPG's pretty much have the same sort of story and concept. "Good VS Evil" or "Person VS Self" sorta thing. I get bored to death reading the smae old story.

My website
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the Good vs. Evil things has been old for a long time....along with the fact that your character sprites look like they were made with a 16 color palette. I would definitely tweak that up if I were you, unless you purposely did that. Otherwise, you could take your story in an original direction.

I'll be watching for that!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sprites in ANY ohr game are made with a 16 color palette.

I haven't downloaded v2, but in the first one it looked as if you used the default palette zero. I didn't get far enough to care about the story, and now I'm playing destiny of an emperor (NES), so it might be a while before I download another ohr game.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, Iblis, I was talking about the choice of color applied.

The crappy old RPG Toolkit only allows 16 plain colors, just like NES used to run on. That's what I meant.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RPGrealm5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Hey. That thing you saw in the beginning is just a useless piece of crap I originally put up to throw people off. I, too agree with your thoughts of the good vs. evil, and my game, when you get far enough, will be very FAR from that. I also plan to take out that "ancient prophecy" crap that you see in the beginning in a later version, most likely v2.5

2. I just can't make AWESOME character sprites because there are no characters out there I want to model them from. My grahpics were selected, and I was able to draw them down on paper and color them in and all that stuff. Very painstaking...Can't do that with characters though. Lars though was modeled after someone from Romancing SaGa 2...

3. Enough about the story already, you don't get any in the demo so far. How was the gameplay? How far did you get? If no one beat the demo, then I obviously have to make some adjustments.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played the demo, but I'd like to comment on a story thingy... not necesarily from your game. First off, the good vs. evil thing was old before the Bible was written. Second off, ancient prophecies in stories can still be original. I've made something where there's an ancient prophecy that says the heros will LOSE. Is it entirely original? No. Must've been done before, even if I've never seen it. Still uncommon.
RPGrealm5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with you Battle Blazes Inc. Good vs. evil can turn out good. It was the topic of one of my first projects, Forsaken Sides. Two groups were at work, one with evil intentions and one with good intentions. You got to choose who would win.

But too many of those can overwhelm you. Originality is lacked in lots of games these days. I hope to change that.
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plain NES actually ran with 54 colors I think. I dunno why everyone thinks it was 16, simply count them on Castlevania 3 sometime. That, or look in the pallette control on an NES emulator.

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Didn't download it yet.
Ihateu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHR Sucks. Making games is a nerd thing to do. First of all u cant make a game that is even close to good. Graphics suck u are limited 2 what u can do. Let me tell u that this is a stupid ass place to belong to. U should play real games good ones. People waste their time. The game amoun to shit.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up Eggie or person posting from Eggie's computer or a computer Eggie once posted on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up, ihateu. For your information I like being a nerd. It's me. Plus it's a bigger waste of time to be an ass to people who have a hobby you hate than actually having the hobby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: