Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

The value of effort
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom-Fighter wrote:
The overall value of the game equals the effort put into it.

No. No, no, no, no, no. No.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
Freedom-Fighter wrote:
The overall value of the game equals the effort put into it.

No. No, no, no, no, no. No.

Wait, what?

Are you disagreeing with him? You of all people should know that it's true effort and time, to make a game great. How can you disagree with it so easily? Or am I assuming too much and you're just being sarcastic, silly Moogle, we all love? Either way, I agree with the Freedom-Fighter's comment.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatzi, get the fuck off of this forum and NEVER post here again, or I swear to God I'm going to kill you. A great game is great because it is FUN to PLAY. Not because it took you 10 years to make it, not because you even had to try hard to make it, but because somehow, the sum of it's parts make it fun to play. Not good graphics! Not good music! Not even a god damn story or a neat battle system make a game great, unless it's got the fun to back it up.

And cut that "Moogle who we all love, maybe you were sarcastic" crap, it sounds like you're ODed on happy pills.

Freedom Fighter, I might help you, but I'm not about to go into any project without knowing what I'm getting myself into. If you want examples of my graphics, and don't mind that I have the worlds worst sense of humor, you might try Halloween No Ingles as an example of what I can do. Mind you, even if you like that, I want to hear the idea for this game before I commit to anything.

We're just trying to tell you, you don't get anyone to sign up for a project marching in here, and saying you want somebody to do all your graphics, and that you have a good idea, but won't tell anybody what it is. You could PM anyone who's interested with a brief overview of the plot. If the idea's any good, you can tell it in a way that will pique our interests without spoiling the whole thing.

And Hatzi, seriously: Quit TRYING to be nice. Just be your self, and see what happens. We might not like you, but it sure can't be as bad as you are pretending to be friends and Happy McClambake to everyone.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Giz, for maintaining a certain level of sanity here. Hatzi, does that look like it's sarcastic? It's been proven time and time again that effort does not a good game make.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effort and fun games can easily go hand and hand. Look at Sword of Jade. That game took grueling effort and almost about two years to make, am I right? It was a great and fun game. I could easily make an awesome game without any effort, but it would be a total mess and fall a part.

I’m sure you don’t want to play a game that’s very fun and enjoyable, without any backgrounds or good scripting, one that falls a part and looses player interest. (Magnus anyone?) Anyone can make a fun game, but it takes time, sweat, tears, and blood to make a fun game with effort. And that is what Freedom-Fighter is trying to do here. At least I think?
Gizmog1

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They CAN go hand in hand, but it's not a dead lock. I can't tell you how many games came out, even professional ones that had allegedly been worked on for 5 years that sucked, and how many games that pop up in a span of two months, and do great. Sword of Jade bored me, so it's not the greatest example. I personally find that the 48 hours contest usually spawns two or three really good games. Look at Tarot Master's Seizure Inducer. 48 Hours, and I played it so many times that today I wear glasses.

And actually, if it were fun, I wouldn't care if it had no scripting or backdrops. You don't even need graphics to have a good time. I'd rather play a FUN game with no graphics, than the prettiest game in the world that bored the hell out of me. Good graphics that fit along with the idea can make a good game better, but there's very very few games that would suck without their graphics.
Zypher

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Dan's games? They sucked on graphics, beyond belief (no offence Dan). But were awesome and fun, and no one bothered to play them because they weren't appealing.
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Dan the Man Entertainment? According to CP, he doesn't have a single game here. And in any case, you're hardly one to judge whether or not a game is "awesome and fun".
Zypher

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one; I apologize for bringing him up and cutting him down like that. He's a really good friend of mine. For two; he left and asked IM to delete his games. And finally; I don't see how you're one to judge as well. This guy comes here asking for help, and all you did was cut his attempts down. Now can you please stop spamming this thread and wasting space with you're pettiness?
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zypher wrote:
For one; I apologize for bringing him up and cutting him down like that. He's a really good friend of mine. For two; he left and asked IM to delete his games. And finally; I don't see how you're one to judge as well. This guy comes here asking for help, and all you did was cut his attempts down. Now can you please stop spamming this thread and wasting space with you're pettiness?

Stating that few people would want to commit themselves to a project before knowing what it was isn't cutting him down, nor is it spam.

And, actually, it's a bit high and mighty of FF to just come here, demand help, and then attack everyone who has the tiniest bit of criticism.

Asking for help isn't wrong, of course. I highly encorage that. But, if you can spare some details, you might get some more people willing to help out.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gizmog1

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatzi, almost NO ONE downloads game around here anymore. It's nothing personal against Dan. The community's DEAD. Also, as a matter of speaking, I had the misfortune of playing one of Dan's games, and it was NOT awesome.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zypher wrote:
Effort and fun games can easily go hand and hand.

Yes. If you reread, you'll find I never said anything to disagree with this.

Zypher wrote:
Anyone can make a fun game, but it takes time, sweat, tears, and blood to make a fun game with effort.

Yes, that's what effort is. The argument at hand is that effort is quality, which you yourself are pretty much contradicting here. Here is what you said earlier:

Zypher wrote:
You of all people should know that it's true effort and time, to make a game great.

This is completely untrue. Besides, I'm hardly one to talk to about spending time on a game. SCHMP and Daleks were made in under a week; Darkmoor Dungeon, Sheep Rancher, and Scary Game were made in under a month. QED? Yes.

This is not to say that I put no effort into those games. I suppose that to a large extent, good games are not effortless. But there is not a necessary correlation between effort and quality.
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zypher wrote:
Effort and fun games can easily go hand and hand. Look at Sword of Jade. That game took grueling effort and almost about two years to make, am I right?

off topic reply: 6 years. And effort is directly related to how good a game is. You can't put no effort into something and make a good game. Nothing is laid to chance.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And effort is directly related to how good a game is. You can't put no effort into something and make a good game. Nothing is laid to chance.

This is true, but what I think Moogle and the others are arguing against is that effort necessarily makes a game good. If someone who knows absolutely nothing about game design puts a lot of effort into their game, it will still be bad. Effort is essential, yes, but sit has to be effort that's applied skillfully.
Freedom-Fighter

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, allow me to say that I believe a game is valued depending of effort not because of the amount of people who pour work into it, or the time it takes to make the game. I mean wholehearted effort. If a game is not fun, then it's because not enough effort was made to make it fun. That is my standing. I do not wish this to be argued on my post, it is perfectly natural for different people to have different ideas.

I don't know what history Zypher has had here with you all, but please, don't bring it here.

I AM NOT RIPPING, it is frowned upon, I don't believe it gives a satisfying result either. I am not attempting to hand over all the graphics responsibilities to others, I am in fact making all the hero and attack graphics. I just do not have time to dedicate to the rest of the game along with the composition and scripting. I am not asking anyone to dedicate him or herself to the game before they see it. It's a Sonic Fan game, and it has very good concepts behind it. I have seen previous Sonic games for both the OHR and other engines alike, and I promise this one will be nothing like those. I will not post any more information regarding the game, OR my identity due to the fact that I do not want people joining this project for biased reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: