Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

OHR Update "rusalka"

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: OHR Update "rusalka" Reply with quote

Earlier today, James released the new version of the OHR engine (with a great deal of help from 3rd party developers). Go to the official OHR site to download it and read more about it.

Notable new features include:

Map limit changed from 100 to 32767
Poison/Stun indicators
Tons of new plotscripting commands
-system hour, system minute, system second, system day, system month, system year, get enemy name, set enemy name, get enemy stat, set enemy stat, get enemy appearance, set enemy appearance, get enemy rewards, set enemy rewards, get map tileset, get ambient music, set ambient music, allow minimap, allow save anywhere, set map edge mode, get map edge mode, set harm tile damage, set harm tile flash, get foot offset, set foot offset, get instead of battle script, set instead of battle script, get each step script, set each step script, get on keypress script, set on keypress script, draw npcs above heroes, map width, map height, skip title screen, skip load screen, pause on all battle menus.
And tons of new stuff with strings.

This isn't all, either. Check out the main page to see everything, and discuss the features you feel are most useful or don't fully understand in this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you people!!! Hooray!!! Big grin
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thread was not good enough Crying

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, YES! Beautiful!

I have a few questions:

Quote:
"No reward for targets killed" bitset (useful for monsters "running away") [Yuriy]"
What exactly does this mean? How is this not equivalant to just not giving an enemy any XP or GP in the rewards submenu?

Quote:
Commands to display strings on the screen:
show string at (string, x, y)
center string at (string, x, y)
hide string (string)
string style (string, style)
string color (string, color, background color)
position string (string, x, y)
string X (string)
string Y (string)
[James Paige]
Are these "x,y" coordinates in tiles or pixels?

Do the global strings work like global variables, where they are refered to by ID number? If so, I can't seem to find a "set global string" matching the "get global string."

This is all beautiful; I can't think of anything I wanted that we didn't get. Thanks for all the great work, James and developers!
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The no rewards bitset is an attack bitset; monsters targeted with that attack will not yield GP/XP/items. Useful for an "Exit" spell.

Strings are displayed by the onscreen pixel x/y (0-319,0-199), not to be confused with the map x/y. At least, that's what I understand from it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great; thanks!

Mr B wrote:
This is all beautiful; I can't think of anything I wanted that we didn't get.
Er...except modifying item stats and hero bitsets...which I just now remembered. But how can I complain? This is great stuff!
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no "global" strings. All strings are global, in the sense that they can be used anywhere. The whole ID thing is that HamsterSpeak doesn't directly support strings. Internally, they're stored in an array. But, when you write something like:

Code:
1 $= "ABC"

HSPEAK.exe translates it into"

Code:

clear string(1)
add ascii(1,65)
add ascii(1,66)
add ascii(1,67)

That's why you cannot pass a string literal directly.

Also, there's a bit of a debate going on as to whether we're going to do more "lump modifying" commands, as modifying heros and items would require. The whole thing is that since lumps are not saved (and thus changes to them are lost when you quit, you have to mod it every time).

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkmnfrk wrote:
Also, there's a bit of a debate going on as to whether we're going to do more "lump modifying" commands, as modifying heros and items would require. The whole thing is that since lumps are not saved (and thus changes to them are lost when you quit, you have to mod it every time).
Oh, that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I rather expected it. Saving changes would be a relatively simple issue of storing data in global variables, and we have an effective infinitude of them, now.

Mainly I want to be able to implement weapon upgrade systems. Heck, even just a sort of FFVI Ultima Weapon thing, that increases power when its equipper levels. Lots of gnarly uses.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr B wrote:
Do the global strings work like global variables, where they are refered to by ID number? If so, I can't seem to find a "set global string" matching the "get global string."

"get global string" was probably a poor naming choice.

What it does is read a caption from the "Edit Global Text Strings" menu in CUSTOM, and places it into a plotscripting string.

Mr B wrote:
Oh, that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I rather expected it. Saving changes would be a relatively simple issue of storing data in global variables, and we have an effective infinitude of them, now.

Are you refering to the increased number of global variables in the Battleless version? (which has not been updated yet)
Mr B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay.

James Paige wrote:
Are you refering to the increased number of global variables in the Battleless version? (which has not been updated yet)

I meant being able to look at and modify the global variables in other saves slots, and since we have a large number of "invisible" save slots who's (which's?) global variables can be planted and harvested at will... That's what I meant.[/quote]
JSH357

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pause on All Battle Menus is the best new feature since target:stat.
Cube
Dimensional Traveller

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think the Pause on all Battle menu is sorta from my suggestion of making the ATB fill instantly for the next action, and pausing while all menus are open. I wanted turn based battles for a game I'm making, and this is getting there for sure so I'm happy to see it in there.

There's a problem though. When a menu comes up for a character and you hit ALT or whatever other keys that let you switch to other characters, the ATB bar still continues to fill up while the menu isn't present.

So! Would it be possible to disable character switching as well? Then we'll have turn based battles, technically. And besides, in FF4 and FF5 you couldn't switch between characters even then Oookay...

(I'm assuming the instantly calculated "next turns" is impossible then? Well, "possible", but not worth it maybe?)

Anyways, thanks for putting this in. This is literally one of the best OHR updates period in my opinion, heheh.
JSH357

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I kind of like that 'glitch.' It lets you save a character's turn and slowly fill up the ATB. Kind of adds a strategic element to battles.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I would have locked this topic in the first place, so we wouldn't have two parallel rusalka threads going on. For the sake of sanity, let's move all rusalka discussion to this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: