Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

DJ's doodlez (teh "z" is 4 teh 1337n355)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: DJ's doodlez (teh "z" is 4 teh 1337n355) Reply with quote

From oldest to newest...

C&C welcome
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe I've seen that second one.

In any case, incredible costume design on the first three. The last one is obviously not human so I'm hesitant to critique his anatomy; still, his left arm is malproportioned and his fingers look askew on his left hand.
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all over-all excellent. Let me pik at them for any trifle I may find that might help you. I would like to say, first off, that the designs of some of your characters is impecable.

First one. Her left thigh is chunkier than her right. I hink the chnage starts at the knee and the curve there is just barely swollen. The illusion I see is created. It looks unproportional and asymetric in comparison to the other leg. Nothing terrible, but noticable. That claw rocks, all things considered.

Seconds: For something, which I assume is newer, the position of the legs and feet seem less precise than the first illustration. The heel of the left leg is coming out past the heel of the right leg, yet the right leg is bigger, as thoughit were in front... I like the outfit design. Certain elelments of it, the sidebag for one thing, are very practical.

Third: Ok. Those weapons Pwn all ass to the extreme. Balanced design, man. I can't see anything wrong in accordance to the style. I like the method you used to illustrate its depth by darkening the parts furthest from the eye. This is my favorite method, from what I've seen so far, because of the simplicity of it, beautiful and unspoiled. I think it wouldn't hurt if the parts closer to the eye were emphasized with a little more detail, but again, that would change the simple style a bit. I suppose the KISS rule applies to this.

Fourth: Well. I love how well you've cought the light. The light and shadows are so vivid, it really screams awesome. I can see a few areas around his chest that it wouldn't hurt to touch up. Specifically on rounding the shaded parts. Honestly, that is only speculation. The forearms might be too thick or too short. I can't quite put my finger on it. It appears that way, maybe, because the wrists are covered by his bandages.

So good to have such a fine artist/game designer return to CP. We've been getting an unusual amount of such reappearances lately. This one probably takes the whole cake, though. Big grin

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overall looks great.

the first one: looks like she's randomly holding her hand out there and her left foot looks uncomfortably placed. her right pants looks to have disappeared and I love the claw, but wow... HUGE.

the second one: I love the detail of it. A little misproportioned on the arms, and her feet looks a little big, but other than that I don't know what else to say, but looks good.

the third one: Nice weapons, I love the shadow textures on the ground, shows where lights are possibly placed than a "general all round" light. Looks a bit incomplete to say much else.

the fourth one: I like the shade of lighting used, gives a "I AM GOING TO INTERROGATE YOU UNTIL YOU CRACK" feeling to it. the foot looks miss angeled and a little uncomfortable to hold like that. the back hand looks great, the front hand looks like his fingers were short and stubby. His back has a hump on it, might be part of it, I dunno. the lighting at the top of his body is a little too bright, compared to the light hitting the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Joe Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with how anime girls in RPGs can only have half their bodies armored while the other half must be barely dressed? Is it so the artists can get away with both? That is weird...

Anyway, the fourth one has a baby hand on his screwy arm. And he has painted cardoard boxes for feet.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there's been a lot of criticism on the fourth one. Just to clerify, I think the hand is alright, but it lacks a wrist from what I see. The fingers might just appear short due to the angle of perspective.

I'm not trying to criticize anyone's criticism, I just want to clerify that I didn't notice that at first. Oookay...

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of unarmored legs, it really makes good sense. A decent skirt is much better than anything else on the battlefield in terms of agility. Ask the ancient Celts. They fought in the nude, to allow the greatest agility. Plating your legs just makes you slow and easy to knock over. For the most part your legs are moving as well, which makes it hard for them to necessarily get hit by archery, especially in the kind of terrain RPGs have, where forests and hills and caves are to be explored, it's a much more useful outfit for all around situations.

I suppose however, that isn't necessarily very helpful in critiquing the art, so allow me to add my opinions.

In the first one, her feet strike me as odd: Her sandals soles look about two inches thick, and her right (furthest away from the camera) leg seems to jut out from her hip peculiarly, and seems twisted funny.

Something about her face and eyes doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the drawing either, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I really like the hair and armor, and she strikes me as a pretty girl.

2nd one is pretty unremarkable, in terms of excellence or badness, except the knee on our left side (Her right) could use some work.

Third one reallly could use some more texture to it, it's just too smooth and plain. I like the design of his swords, though I question whether or not the pointy parts at the top would really be that useful in combat, to the point that they may even be a hindrance to the weapons usage.

4th Guy's back is pointy, and his face seems like it's not quite facing the right direction. His eyes are placed peculiarly, and at a bit too much of an angle. It's kind of dark to tell much else.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmog1 wrote:
In the case of unarmored legs, it really makes good sense. A decent skirt is much better than anything else on the battlefield in terms of agility. Ask the ancient Celts. They fought in the nude, to allow the greatest agility. Plating your legs just makes you slow and easy to knock over. For the most part your legs are moving as well, which makes it hard for them to necessarily get hit by archery, especially in the kind of terrain RPGs have, where forests and hills and caves are to be explored, it's a much more useful outfit for all around situations.

Gizzy is so right. I'm only making Nude characters from now on. You go, girl!

Sorry about jumping off topic like that. Gizmog's on to something. I'm done here. ¬¬

---msw188 ---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: