Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Boundless Ocean + Release
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Boundless Ocean + Release Reply with quote

I was planning on releasing the game under a gimmick account like what I did with CoD, but lethargy strikes and I’m at the point where I just want to release the game and get working on another project. So here’s a good old-fashioned teaser/advertisement styled after the old nintendo game ads. The graphical layout for these ads is pretty simple, but it appealed to me nostalgically. It was fun reading the outrageous exaggerations in the writings.

Retrogamer once told me that Boundless Ocean is an accumulation of what I’ve done so far; it has elements from Purgatory, CoD, and even some things from Motherland. He sums it up nicely: it’s an old-fashioned OHR RPG with some adventure/exploratory aspects to it.

You can find the game here along with a screenshot and a brief story description:

http://orchieluv.castleparadox.com/

I also put all the extras available neatly into one ZIP package. It’s a big file though, 23mb zipped. Here’s a photo montage of the extras available for the game:

http://orchieluv.castleparadox.com/feelies.jpg

Acknowledgements –

James "SPAM" Paige - a very special thanks to the man who made the engine. There would be no Boundless Ocean without OHRRPGCE.

Setu Firestorm – Thank you very much for past and present contributions. Your music set the mood of my games, even with the limitation of the BAM format.

Retrogamer - The rambo playtester. Knows what's he's doing and overall was a good advisor in all aspects of the game: from music selection to visuals to gameplay.

Januk – reliable proofreader and playtester.

Inferior_Minion - One of the few reliable playtesters and occassionally gives general advice for the game.

Charbile - Reliable playtester, went for the extra work to check for the more tedious things and obscure errors. Great to talk to in all aspects of game design.

Rinku – Helped with the proofreading, but alas! He lacks the pen. Also thanks for the custom palette.
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend

Last edited by Friend on Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
chris98

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Will download it as soon as norton antivirus finishes it's work. ^.^
Retrogamer
Trailblazer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Boundless Ocean Talkabouts... Reply with quote

Dare I say it, but this is one of the few OHR games that feels like an authentic "game"... a product that actually stands its ground against classic hits such as Dragon Warrior and Phantasy Star.

Visually, Boundless Ocean blows Purgatory and City of Dreams out of the water. You wouldn't be able to tell that picture to picture... but who goes by static shots? Through graphical means, BO promotes a greater sense of believability through its characters and environments.

The cutscenes and animations, while stylish, are presented in a professional and purposeful manner. More importantly, characters actually demonstrate visual expression this time around (a factor severly lacking in Purgatory). Playing textbox tag isn't always the best way to show life in your characters, as Orchy proudly demonstrates.

The battle system is also a huge improvement... primarily since you aren't punished for engaging in combat (Purgatory). Here, battles are balanced to the point that they cater to individual preferences... Are you a speed demon? A powerhouse? A spell fanatic? Each configuration has its share of strengths and weaknesses, so don't expect to just walk over your foes. City of Dream fans have no need to fret either, since puzzles in this game are numerous, and never unfair.

I'd go on, but I think you get the point.

Verdict: Highly recommended.
chris98

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game is very difficult without being tedious. I'm currently levelling up before I do the first 'Mission' as I found out the hard way how powerful the lost souls are.
May still be a bug.
In Judas's Lair in the room where you must kill enemies to advance, 2 of them trigger up to 20 battles at once.
One of these appears to be infinite. This may render the game unbeatable.
Help!
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris98 wrote:
This game is very difficult without being tedious. I'm currently levelling up before I do the first 'Mission' as I found out the hard way how powerful the lost souls are.
May still be a bug.
In Judas's Lair in the room where you must kill enemies to advance, 2 of them trigger up to 20 battles at once.
One of these appears to be infinite. This may render the game unbeatable.
Help!

Judas's Lair is a direct throw back to the first Purgatory boss. You don't kill enemies to advance, doing so is infinite and you will die. Try to avoid the rushing guards and focus on Judas.

When playing this game, may I suggest actually talking to every NPC you come across. Orchie has created a vibrant world full of character. The NPCs aren't just filler like you see in many RPGs. It's an exploration game at heart. Simply leveling up will really dissapoint you as your stats don't change dramatically like your standard RPG. If you haven't bought armor...do so quickly. Potions and herbs are a must at all times.

While playing the game, I found that the enemy occurrence and battle difficulty was almost perfect. There wasn't a time where I was mindlessly walking along the beach trying to level. Once I explored the Shores of Redemption, talked to all the NPCs, and bought weapons and armor, I was strong enough to finish the first "mission" just thanks to the random battles on the beach.

The other thing you'll find is the game isn't explicitly linear. On more than one occassion I found myself asking "where should I go?" Not because I didn't know what to do next, but because there were many options open to me. Running from battles is a very good sign that there's something else you should do. I should probably add that there is a single "linear" path that will get you to the end wihout extreme difficulty, but you can take alternate, though harder, routes through the game and end up in the same place. I'd explain further, but finding out for yourself is so much more fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if you meant the two NPCs spawn endlessly or if they put you on a continuous loop of battles (ie. another battle starts right after a battle ends.) If you meant the first one, the two NPCs are supposed to spawn infinitely; you have to avoid them. If you meant the second one... you ran into a bug that I thought I have gotten rid of long ago. The bug sometimes occur when you're being flanked by two lost souls at the same time. I have no idea why this still happens... technically, it shouldn't. Anyway, the best way to get around this problem at the moment, is to avoid being flanked by two NPCs at the same.

If you've gotten to as far as getting to Judas Lair, I don't think you have to level up to get past that part of the game. Stock up one or two herbs, and maybe 5 potions and you'll be fine.
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played this game for about 10 minutes but I can tell I'm going to love it. The surreal atmosphere matches the music perfectly, and the dialogue and style are incredible. I'd say this game is worth downloading for the atmosphere alone.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very sexy game. I'm wrapping up the cave of trials thingy and I'm about to go wrangle up some lost souls.
banned...but not really.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dis game da most awesome eva! The graphics are freakin' insane (in a good way) The atmoshpere automaticly sucks you right into the game, and the story is great!

Also, OMFG, this is probably one of the first OHR games where I actually like to battle people!

The Above Statement Is False
JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... it's alright. Very pretty, good music too. I don't care for the main character's sprite, but the rest of the walkabouts are nice. The battle bg style doesn't do much for me either. (Is it supposed to look like FF1 without the bar separating the sides?)

I got confused and ended up being killed by someone so I stopped playing, but I'll definitely give it another go sometime. It's certainly better than the average OHR game.

Great work on the maptiles, they're extremely good.
Leonhart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maptiles are absolutely gorgeous! Great work!
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a powerful atmosphere! Happy The dialog is definitly more mature as well. This will be an excellent guide for me to look off of for my own tiles. God knows I need to learn how to make map tiles this great.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris98

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just realized where I went wrong - No structure.
I will make Silhouette powerful, at expense of her speed.
At level 10, about to enter the forest, first saving to buy the cool sword from Buddha.
rpgspotKahn
Lets see...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What amazing gameplay! This game really has me hooked - Its one of the first OHR games to do so besides purgatory and CoD... great game.

Graphics are amazing and everything just blends so well...

2nd Edition out now!
chris98

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried buying the Scimitar for use against the Guardian of the forest.
I beat Judas, but any tips to beat him easily, as if I can take him out with No problem, then it will mean I can survive the forest. I'm at level 13.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: