Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Calehay's Hero Sprites Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Calehay's Hero Sprites Thread Reply with quote

Here's a Cloud sprite I put together, using the Kingdom Hearts: COM Cloud sprite as a guide. I hope to place in this thread progress of my spriting, and ween off of the things in which I did for this one.

What I did (Mostly just for my own sake.)
1: Choose colors off of the KHCOM sprite
2: Used a lot of the sprite ideas for my sprite.
3: Not an original sprite.

Tell me what you all think.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest complaint is that his arm is totally out of whack. A lot too long.
Good shading job, though. A huge improvement over Verdimea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shading on the hair is excellent. The face is a little wide for my preference, and as Unc said, the arm is long. He can almost reach down to his feet. Speaking of the feet, they look a bit odd to me. I'm not sure what it is though. It's a bit hard to tell details in the armor. There are so many little pieces, you might want to cut down on some of the outlines in there. It'll make it easier to tell what's what.

Overall, I think it's a good sprite. Much better than the Verdimea ones. Great job!
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated:

I shortened the arm.
I turned the face into the classic FF looking forward face.
I attempted to help the boots. I'll still work on it.

Are there anyone other character sprites anyone recommends that I make my own rendition of?

Which piece of armor are you talking about. The only one that I put in was his arm plate and his glove. There's a belt as well. Edit: (The thing that normally holds his sword is there too.) Are you just saying it's too dark in general?

Which brings me to my next topic. Does anyone here like colored outlines? Personally, I think black pops more, but I've seen many sprites that I like with colored outlines.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which piece of armor are you talking about. The only one that I put in was his arm plate and his glove. There's a belt as well. Edit: (The thing that normally holds his sword is there too.) Are you just saying it's too dark in general?

I was talking about the armor on his body and legs. At least, I'm assuming it's armor. That's what it looks like to me (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know what the original sprite looks like). What I was saying is that I think you used too many interior outlines on his legs and torso.

Quote:
Which brings me to my next topic. Does anyone here like colored outlines? Personally, I think black pops more, but I've seen many sprites that I like with colored outlines.

I think colored outlines can work well. Depends on the style you're using. You appear to be going for an FF-ish style (makes sense for an FF character) so I think black works better.
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what your talking about. That was my attempt to emulate KHCOM's use of folds. That's a really dark blue that looks almost black.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..wow!good job!..keep it up,Calehay!..i was remaking Crescent Dream for over a month or so,and we have something in common:using almost all the space for battle sprites Ha ha ha! ..oh,and im sorry bout my arrogance before..maybe im just insecure or something..hope to see your game soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
im sorry bout my arrogance before..maybe im just insecure or something

Don't worry about it.

How everyone is reacting to this makes me want to start my game right away... but I'll keep practicing a bit more. I haven't even gotten to other elements yet.

Thanks for the comments.

Edit: Just wanted to note that my avatar is the sprite I worked off of.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... lesee... (you image enlarging java doesn't work in the topic review, by the way)

1.) His head looks like a tube with a scarf around it. The hair is fine, but that head seriously looks messed up.
2.) I don't see how anyone can balance with feet like those. I don't doubt it's hard to make them better with your limitations, but it looks like he's standing on the edges of his feet.
3.) If this picture has knees (I'm not really sure) they're way too high.
4.) He looks like Carl from Sling Blade the way he's standing.
5. His arm is much too thin, it's in a very awkward position, and his hand looks like a claw.

Other than that, this picture is fine. I like it.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is supposed to be a Hero thread, but I really see no reason in making another for walkabouts.

I've been making these for my new game, and I had a question about the way I'm doing the hair pixelation.

Is the hair ugly? I've been looking at these too long to really know anymore. The other 4 that I've done have hair in a similar style.

Tell me what you think.[/img]
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Those are gonna look really good walking around maps in the OHR.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hair is the best part. It is very detailed. The light effects in the hair on a couple frames in particular strike me as fairly well done. It would be sweet if you could get the hair to bounce as he walks (especially on the walk left and right frames). That would appear more fluid. Of course, that's just an opinion.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit too much black outlining, but that looks decent for walkabouting around on OHR maps (as mentioned above) depending on your maptiles, of course
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shading on the hair looks kind of random to me, and not really that good. The way he holds his hands on the right-facing walking frame looks really feminine (if that makes any sense).
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two types of shading. Which one do you like better? I have to know because I have to start mass producing these.

I like this one a bit more than the other.

Tell me what you think.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: