Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Requesting a Review for Champagne Challenge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time Traveler
Time Galactic Power!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Requesting a Review for Champagne Challenge Reply with quote

Hey Everyone!
I was wondering if anyone would like to do a review of Champagne Chalenge. Go ahead and take your best shot. Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger... or gradually kill me. Big grin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make a deal with you. I'll review Champagne Challennge if you'll review Kidworld II.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviewing's not about dealing; it's about reviewing.
And if you want Kidworld II reviewed so badly, then remember that you can review it to yourself(Could say the same to TT). As long as it doesn't include your Autumn Dream styled review.
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There. It's finished. And MCW, if I were to review my own game, that'd be like Squaresoft owning ESRB.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you enjoy your own game, then I wouldn't care.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on whether or not you had any big-time attachments to your own game. Take for instance TS1, if I reviewed it, I would have to be completely impartial about it, which is somewhat of an impossibility (though it could be done). I would review my own games, given there was a function to not make the final grade count towards the game's final score.
zetes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time traveler: I wrote a review of your game for ohr cookbook. You can see it soon, when the issue is released in a week or so.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next issue comes out in a week? You're kidding! Gah, I need to get back to work then...
Time Traveler
Time Galactic Power!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for yor support

I'll try to do some reviews.
Kidworld will be on my list... just the thought of kids+world= potential chaos! :flamedevil:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errmmm...I was always under the impression that it was kinda shrewd (if I'm even using the word in its proper context) to review your own game. If so, I'd talk about how awesome I thought Hoshima was......except for the fact that I never finished it after Episode 2, so I'd get a pie thrown at me....

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that I am my harshest critic. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who can relate.

With that in mind, a review of a game by the author could be very interesting to read. Using a review simply to praise yourself and your game might be shrewd, but I've never been able to complete something and say, "Yeah, that's exactly what I envisioned when I started." There are always unforseen problems that put a kink in the original idea.

However, as Fenrir pointed out, there is an emotional attachment. If writing a review for your own game, you have to step back and say to yourself, "Yes, those are my best graphics yet, but how do they compare to the community's standard?"

Authors reflecting on the outcome of their project, that could be an interesting read.

Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huurrmmmm....ya know, I suppose you're right, Inferior Minion (..if that IS your real name...) Big grin . Hoshima surprised me, because it turned out a lot better than I originally planned.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inferior Minion wrote:
Authors reflecting on the outcome of their project, that could be an interesting read.

Like I said, it could be done, but it would be difficult. I would jump on the opportunity to review my own games, explain what I wanted to acheive in this part, or what I didn't like about this, and so on. It takes a critical mind to be able to do something like that, and stay impartial at the same time.

Take for instance my first game, LoC1 (Legend of Cale 1). Graphics were horrible, story was pathetic (by FFH standards), and you can't even download it from the OP:Ohr archive so it's lost forever (Thank God). But looking back, I really liked that game, enough to make a sequal. And then another. It's mostly the characters involved, Kyle, Nevok, Etc. Gralcus's bumbling attitude and the "yes my leige!" statements... Siva and Nightsilver(Hati)'s immortal lines of "You're a dick" when speaking to Alex... Nevok's whole "I'm the leader of a rebellion against a dictator who everyone kinda likes, but I'm French/An Elf/A total BADASS so it's all cool" stikch... Everyone involved had a defining personality, and they changed so much from flat characters, as they clashed with eachother and had to put their problems aside to save the world. So that was my inspiration for making games... telling stories of how people change when faced with tough decisions.

You wouldn't get that if people couldn't review their own stuff. Before that, they should wait a while, say a year before doing it. Still, if I could go back and explain reasonings without my grade having an effect on the game's TOTAL grade... then by all means I'd do it.

Coincidentally, I'm sure loads of people would like to hear other game creator's own feelings about their games. What they would have changed, what they disliked, etc. It would give a whole new side to the review process period. Besides, artists are expected to give their own thoughts about what they do, and game design IS a form of art nowadays (don't disprove it, I'll send my ninjas after you).

So what do you say? A worthwhile goal, or one that should rot?
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done and Done!!!!

When an author writes a review for his/her own game, it will look just like a standard review. The author must give the game a grade, however this grade does not get counted in the "Average Grade."

I'll be waiting for some interesting reflections.

I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never review Destiny's Cruelty... not because it is necesarily bad (that's an opinion), but because I doubt even in digital format that it would be able to withstand my mindless cynicism about anything I make... plus there's really nothing to review except the intro, which isn't enough to draw ANY conclusions from whatsoever(except graphics? I don't know...).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: