Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Towns
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Towns Reply with quote

How often do you explore towns in games? I mean, how often do you explore towns thorougly, as in talking to NPCs and exploring houses.

Personally, I check to see if there's treasure and then leave. I never talk to useless NPCs unless the game calls for a search. The only game I've played where I enjoy talking to the NPCs is Final Fantasy IX, which has some of the best towns in any game ever made, not to mention interesting dialogue.

So, do you wander around towns regularly or move on quickly?
Dan the Man Entertainment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually explore towns thoroughly since they may contain hidden spells, weapons, armor, etc.

Often, I find talking to the people in towns (at least one of them in a CERTAIN town) will contain something of key importance or something helpful. I also find surprises (E.G. the pig woman in FFIV)
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the game. If a game has interesting enough NPC dialogue or if there's stuff to find everywhere then I will. I'd walk all over Earthbound towns cause some of the NPCs were pretty weird and interesting. And I'd always search towns in Lufia cause there were items to be found in nearly every building. I hardly ever search in OHR towns, cause usually they're boring and the only useful things in them are shops.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never search around in OHR games, mainly because I don't like movement in the OHR. However, I do tend to do it in most commercial games. Why not? It's not like I try to do speed runs through FFVII like some crazed Gamefaqs fans like to.
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most RPGs, I do not do a good deal of heavy exploration in the towns; I simply try to locate the shops & inns. However, some games have interesting towns, like FF9. In FF9, there's a more...I dunno...real life feeling to the towns? Like, the NPCs aren't just NPCs, they are little people inside the game?

Unfortunately, most OHR games I have played have not had really good towns. Many people, including me, often make houses with one room and stick in an NPC with one text box.

For my game I am currently working on, I'm considering putting a lot of time into the towns with minigames, sidequests, and, of course, rewards/treasures.

Should I spend a lot of time to embellish the towns? Or are towns in OHR games never going to be worth exploring and simply a place to rest & purchase items?

~Worthy
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually talk to every npc I can find.
Also, in simpler games, like Final Fantasy IV, I tend to talk to every other thing, too, since items are often in pots, bookshelves, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me, it depends on the game. If I'm really into what's going on in the game, or I have to find a certain person in a town, then I go exploring. In most cases, though, like with Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, I don't talk to anyone that I don't have to talk to because I hate every moment that I'm not in battle with that game. (I personally think the battle system is what makes that game any bit worthwhile...well, that plus Darc's absolutely awesome, but that's beside the point).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
msw188

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: talk Reply with quote

I like to talk to NPCs in towns. To me this is usually the most interesting part of an RPG. I think that a lot of the older RPGs had cooler townsfolk. I'm not sure why, but the main reason I liked the DW's so much is that the world felt bigger and wilder (more empty space between towns, something I pretty much failed at in my game) and the townsfolk seemed more interesting. I can't quite put my finger on what was more interesting about them, they seemed more old-fahioned or something, I don't know. I've begun trying to make my npcs more like that (they have stories about the country-side that is usually helpful, in that it will give the gamer ideas about where they may have to go later), but I'm not sure how successful I am.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never talk to NPCs in OHR Game towns, because 98% of the time they just say "hi" or "The evil wizard murlock has traveled south through the forest of illusions, east towards gabralter castle. There the priness hotstuff resides, maybe you'll get to meet her if you bring the three gemstones located in the three towers north, east, and west of here. But I'm just a townsperson, what do I know?"

Ie: OHR NPCs are either complete idiots, or geniuses who should be questing instead of you. So I don't bother. Oookay...
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Ha ha ha!! Well said.

~Worthy
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To comment on something Shadowiii said, I have realized the utter unimportance of NPCs in towns. So that's why I pretty much added on the whole point of them saying funny stuff and making them useful by telling you where stuff is or handing out cool items. So maybe it's closer to 75% of my game's town NPCs are useless.

But in the course of OHR games and games in general, I have a 90% chance of talking to them all. It's funny to see how many of the same NPC are wandering the town. Heh. It shows creator laziness too.
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of just making towns point-and-click. (in OHR terms, pressing a key to go to different places) That's why I brought this up. The game I'm working on is designed mostly to be speedy, so I'm thinking of killing NPCs altogether. I've already implemented scene skipping.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about you just implement killing NPCs? They do it in a few games, some of the Ultima games come to mind for me, and that makes towns fun.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about you just implement killing NPCs? They do it in a few games, some of the Ultima games come to mind for me, and that makes towns fun.

I'd like to see the Rockstar Games version of Ultima. Raspberry!

Quote:
I'm thinking of just making towns point-and-click. (in OHR terms, pressing a key to go to different places) That's why I brought this up. The game I'm working on is designed mostly to be speedy, so I'm thinking of killing NPCs altogether.

This can work. It's certainly better than having to slowly walk through a huge town with nothing really worthwhile in it. But, it's also not as much fun as a well-designed and interesting town. It really takes away from the amount of exploration you can do in towns. If this is a game where towns have no use other than places to sleep and buy stuff, then it might be a good idea. It could really speed things up and a visit to the town won't seem like a chore to the player. But then, it won't be a fun visit either. So it's a trade-off. I'd say only do this if you're unable to make interesting towns. If you can't, then your method could be a good alternative to the standard kind of town.
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not do point-and-click. Personally, I would rather navigate and explore a really big town than quickly point-and-click. I mean, if the town is so boring that there is no enjoyment out of exploring the big town, then I don't think the solution should be point-and-click because that will be just as boring.

Solution: Make interesting towns! Make more than one text box for some NPCs! Give the townspeople personalities!

~Worthy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: