Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What I Would Like to see in the next OHR update
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: What I Would Like to see in the next OHR update Reply with quote

That other topic is pretty huge so I'm starting a new one. Fairly sure James watches this forum, so here goes:

- A quit button in battle. It's annoying having to close game.exe with ctrl/at/del.

That's all I've got.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A command that allows you to pause the game, not a script, but a command, like press 'P' to pause or something. That way you know you're not gonna die in battle while you make a sandwich or run into an annoying NPC that starts a battle.
Dan the Man Entertainment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can already pause in battle by pressing the pause/break button on your computer.
RedMaverickZero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the pause is able to be implemented (I found out the hard way, heh) I suppose I'd ask for more music files and maps. Those are the real things that hinder a game for me in terms of creating one.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More maps is impossible without lowering the limits on something else drastically. The OHR uses just about every scrap of memory availible to it (which something tiny like 256 k), so it's pretty amazing it can do what it already does. Also, you can bypass the 100 map limit in a couple ways; you could split the RPG file (Aeth wrote a tutorial on it, it's in the much-neglected Articles section of CP), or you could use the "change tileset" function in Hamsterspeak and take advantage of the 32767 tilesets you are allowed.
RPGCreations
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 100 map limit actually is not due to memory (as all maps are not loaded into memory simultaneously) but the internal file format. I think James might change it someday, last I saw him say something about it, he was either considering dropping backwards compatability at that point with older games and new game.exes or it'd take a lot of work to make it backwards compatible.

But I'll let him clarify.
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm? Game and custom each use about 540KB of memory, I believe, out of a total of 640kb of conventional in DOS. Normally the full 640kb won't be free due to other programs, drivers, DOS itself, etc also loaded into that memory of course.

Also, the limit of 100 bam songs is also caused by internal naming schemes.
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am to be correct the 640k barrier isn't actually a DOS problem , it's a language one. Although with use of .gen files that could be over looked.
RPGCreations
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, the QBASIC compiler only allows you to stay in the system's onboard 640k of RAM. I do believe DOS can use something around 80 megabytes of memory.
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPELL DESCRIPTIONS!
http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2033

0_o

Thank you...

/me runs

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RedMaverickZero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright well, since you guys obviouslly know more than I do about the topic, what is the maximum amount of EVERYTHING you can put into the game? This may help other OHR users as well. Like, walkabouts, attacks, enimies, etc. etc.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What are the limits on various things?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people ask me about the various limits on different features. Here is a more-or-less complete list of all the limits as of the time of this writing (May 2001). Ill try to remember to keep this updated, but I cant make any promises Happy

Graphics-- All 16-color paletted graphics, including Heros, walkabouts, enemys of each size, weapons and attacks are limited to 32767 graphics sets.

Backdrops-- You can have up to 32767 backdrops (battle & textbox backgrounds)

16-color palettes-- You can have 32767 16-color palettes (before the March 31 2001 version, there where only 100 palettes)

Maps-- You can have up to 100 maps. This limit is imposed by my internal naming scheme.

Tilesets-- You can have up to 32767 tilesets, although making that many would be pretty silly, since you can only have 100 maps.

Songs-- You can have up to 100 BAM songs. This limit is caused by the way I handle the Song's names. I might be able to remove this limit at some point in the future.

Heros-- You can have 4 heros in your active party at a time. You can have 38 heros at a time total, including both active and reserve heros. You can have 60 heros defined in your whole game. All of these limits are imposed by memory restrictions.

NPCs-- There is a maximum of 36 NPCs defined per map, although you can place more than one copy of the same NPC in different places on the map. There is a maximum of 200 total NPC "instances" per map. These are both memory limitations Sad...

Doors-- There is a maximum of 200 doors per map. Another memory limitation.

Attacks-- You can define up to 32767 attacks

Enemys-- You can define up to 32767 enemys

Enemy Formations-- You can combine your enemys into up to 32767 formations

Enemy Formation Sets-- You can combine your formations into up to 255 formation sets. This limitation is because the formation set number has to be stored in an 8-bits of data.

Items-- You can define up to 255 items. This limitation is because items are stored in 8-bits of data. You can have up to 200 types of items in your inventory at at time. This si a memory limitation. You can have up to 99 instances of each of those items in your inventory. That is just a screen-space limit, plus it is longstanding RPG tradition.

Tags-- There are 1000 tags. (tags 0 and 1 are special, 2-999 are customizable) This is a memory limitation.

One-time usable NPCs-- You can have up to 1000 one-time usable NPCs. Memory limitation.

Plotscripts-- Your game can contain up to 16383 numbered plotscripts, and 16363 autonumbered plotscripts. The plotscript interpreter can handle up to 128 scripts or 4098 bytes of script code at a time (normally, the script code buffer runs out first). You can have up to 1000 global script variables.

Text boxes-- You can have up to 32767 text boxes

Shops-- You can have up to 32767 shops defined, and each shop can contain up to 50 items/heros (memory limitation)

Spells-- Each hero can have up to 4 spell lists, each containing up to 24 spells.

Vehicles-- You can define up to 32767 vehicle types, but the number of vehicles you can actually place is limited by the number of NPCs per map."

Courtesy of THE FAQ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RedMaverickZero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa thanks. That will help me with my in production game. I really don't have any thing I want for the OHR now that I know all that.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What I Would Like to see in the next OHR update Reply with quote

JSH357 wrote:

- A quit button in battle. It's annoying having to close game.exe with ctrl/at/del.

You can already press PgUp+PgDown+ESC to exit GAME.EXE instantly

jabbercat wrote:
If I am to be correct the 640k barrier isn't actually a DOS problem , it's a language one. Although with use of .gen files that could be over looked.

640k is a "Real Mode" DOS limit, which means a 16-bit DOS limit. Such thing as "Protected Mode" or "32-bit DOS" exists, but The OHRRPGCE cannot use it because of the limitations of the quickbasic compiler, and because all the assembly language code I use is written for a 16-bit memory model.

Speaking of the next update, Some of you might be curious about how it is coming. Very slowly. I haven't done a lot on the next update yet. At a minimum, I want to change the password storage format, and add plotscripting commands for bringing up the main menu, and each sub-menu such as items, spells, etc. I have also been working a bit on fixing some of the oddness about NPC and wall behavior on the edges of wraparound maps. Beyond that, it is just a question of what mood strikes me :)

The main reason that the next update is coming along slowly is the high level of real-life distractions that keep well, distracting me-- and that I am spending some of my free programming time to practice with python+pygame which I think will be my language of choice for future projects.

Anyway. Although I certainly can't implement everything people suggest, I am glad to read your suggestions, as it always makes me feel happy and motivated :)
JSH357

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James: It might just be me, but that doesn't seem to work in battles. I've always used that outside of battles, though.

Testing it again...

Nope, still doesn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: