Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

The beautiful maptiles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: The beautiful maptiles Reply with quote

one of reasons for hating Newbies(like myself) our games suck. But I still need a few pointers on making those really cool houses that take multiple maptiles. Does that take just a lot of precision or is there some trick I don't know about?

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Hunter Green
About to beat this double head with a pipe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick is to not post tons of worthless messages on the boards like this. You're spamming like crazy.
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, not to be mean er anything, but Hunter is right, Battle.

Don't worry about your games and whether or not they'll stink or not, `cause it's a part of becoming a game maker that your first several projects won't be that hot; it's all about the learning experience.

The best thing for you to do if you want to know about things that other people pull off in their OHR games is to either study their form, or PM them and ask them how they did some things. Granted, not everyone will be willing to share their secrets, but if you keep posting like this, you're eventually gonna get nailed hard. Just letting you know.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Stop hunting me! Reply with quote

Damnit stop posting sumthin everytime I post! Green hunter er whatever! Ur like a feakin stalker!

Pissed off! Lemme alone!

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. You are now one of the dumbest people I know.
Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blaze... honestly, you do need to stop spamming the boards...
and if you've been following the helpme board at anytime, you should know that you should not worry about things like this to much and follow what setu says.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hunter Green
About to beat this double head with a pipe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven' followed you up on even a third of the spam threads you've posted, Jack.
Lost In Emotion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to relax battle, practice makes perfect... or at least experience makes the master as the say in Germany. Anyway I don't think you should be so concerned about the games you make... at the very worst you could learn from your mistakes.
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The beautiful maptiles Reply with quote

Battleblaze wrote:
one of reasons for hating Newbies(like myself) our games suck. But I still need a few pointers on making those really cool houses that take multiple maptiles. Does that take just a lot of precision or is there some trick I don't know about?

There aren't really any pointers that you can go by except for the fact that you have to take your time. If you want them to look good, only time will make them better.

GENERATION-EDGE.COM
The new generation of Ford Ranger
Quinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was like dead, and you just revived it. Ahh

Game Progress:
Emoticons-25% graphics(75%), story(50%)
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: Make horribly sprited newbie game. Finish it. Beginning to end. Don't just drop it, make it actually able to be beat. Aim for 2-3 hours of playtime.

Step 2: Make another newbie game, except try to use plotscripting if possible, and try to do well at least on your walkabouts, hero graphics, and some weapon attack graphics. Finish this game as well, from beginning to end. Make sure it can be beat as well, without dropping it for another game. Try to make it about 5 hours long, if possible.

Step 3: Screw over making your own maptiles and enemygraphics. Rip. Do all your own hero graphics, attack animations, weapon graphics, walkabouts, and go heavily on the plotscripting if possible. Aim for a good 12-15 hours of playtime, and be sure this game is beatable as well. Add multiple subquests, puzzles, etc.

Step 4: Remake a famous RPG on the NES, Genesis, or an obscure japanese console. Go for a professional look to everything, with your own walkabouts, heroes, attacks, etc, but do the same as the last game and rip enemies and maptiles. Finish this game.

Step 5: Do a whole bunch of smaller games and hire out your walkabout skills to other OHRers. Do plenty of enemy graphics, since now you'll be good at them. Your maptiles mysteriously will have improved as well.

Then you shall be as good as I am.
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot "draw thousands of furry pr0n pics."
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aim for a good 12-15 hours of playtime
::Fenrir

<minireview>

Just a comment (this is directed towards Timestream Saga), when you finished making it did you know that the player would spend all those glorious hours leveling and gaining small amounts of cash? After playing TS, I felt like I was playing &And that took itself seriously. Seriously, all I did was fight for literally HOURS to afford the $#%in initial equipment, and then I fought one boss and there was another town with more expensive equipment. ARGH!

</minireview>

Erm, that was out of the blue, I just wanted to get it off my chest. If you are wondering why you don't have a TS review yet, Fenrir, it is because of that.

Erm, for BB, rather then worry about graphcis, worry about making your game have good gameplay and be FUN. That is what really matters. If you game looks like crap, I'll still play it if it is fun to play.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and almost nobody is willing to play a single OHR game for 15 hours. And it's no more repeditive than Secret of Mana. Spend an hour just to BARELY afford the next weapon/armor upgrade, and lo and behold there's better stuff in the next town. Since it's a game literally BURSTING with cliches, having to actually level up seemed appropriate. Or you could go due east of the first town and kill pandas in the forest. Yes, pandas. Big ones. With microphones.

Though all that levelbusting is good for you. Too bad you don't actually get any HP per leveling up. But yes, make your gameplay the core focus of an OHR game. Though if it looks like crap, it'll probably play like crap, which has been my experience for a long time.
Rinku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That and almost nobody is willing to play a single OHR game for 15 hours. "

objection: wingedmene is just about exactly 15 hours long, and it's only 25% finished. and from its position (current and previous) in the top 30s, i think people are playing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: