Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

New OHRRPGCE palette in the works.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoTA
Idiomatic Nomenclature

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's even more 'fantastic'. very lush palette. I'll give it a try when my GIMP is working again.
I did notice that the 7th color in the bottom row is *very* similar to a flesh tone on the fifth row. Also I am somewhat puzzled about the 9th color in the purple row -- there is a rapid change from mid-brightness to high-brightness in that area, whereas in all your other rows, the change is smooth. Is this intentional?

Geez, I need to write a program for this type of thing. Making a really well optimized palette is no small feat, just as making a really useful font. connect ramps, optimize out too-similar colors, suggest new ramps based on dropped images, show self-organizing network based on color relations, estimate ramp crossability percentage.. hmm.. it's a fun idea. need to get my pel library organized and then I can look at that, I think.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you put the green-yellow ramp back. Looks good. But could you post it without that grey grid between the colours? Maybe it's my slight colour blindness, but I can not tell the lightest and darkest 3 colours from most ramps apart at all.

I guess I might complain that there's a smaller variety of greens - and in nature plants all come in slightly different greens - and the green end of the green-yellow ramp appears quite dark (might just be that grid)

James Paige wrote:
Wow! that is awfully cool! I was just trying it out on my 8-bit game. Looks like I accidentally used several colors from the second palette row. it is a good thing I used a master palette with only 16 colors Happy

I did notice a bug. If you switch modes while displaying meters instead of counts, it crashes:

[...]

Must be something to do with the limited number of colours, though I specifically took that into consideration!

NeoTA wrote:
You might find the numbers could be more meaningful if you made them logarithmic

Ah! That could be good for the bars. I think the numbers aren't as useful, except for concrete statistics.

NeoTA wrote:
Pepsi-Ranger: Altering TMC's program to remap colors is not too difficult; We could sort of combine the two functions, and do the remapping and then mention which graphics were effected (to help with any adjustments). This kind of thing does warrant a utility of its own, cause it could be made quite powerful really

Funny! Suddenly I am reminded of the utility CHGPAL! Must be obsolete by now...
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did notice that the 7th color in the bottom row is *very* similar to a flesh tone on the fifth row.

Looks different to me. Can probably be useful for characters with pinkish skin.

Quote:
Also I am somewhat puzzled about the 9th color in the purple row -- there is a rapid change from mid-brightness to high-brightness in that area, whereas in all your other rows, the change is smooth. Is this intentional?
It is. The ramp is cut in half where the lighter colors in that row are becoming more lavender/pink.

Quote:
But could you post it without that grey grid between the colours?

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
NeoTA
Idiomatic Nomenclature

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:

NeoTA wrote:
You might find the numbers could be more meaningful if you made them logarithmic

Ah! That could be good for the bars. I think the numbers aren't as useful, except for concrete statistics.

NeoTA wrote:
Pepsi-Ranger: Altering TMC's program to remap colors is not too difficult; We could sort of combine the two functions, and do the remapping and then mention which graphics were effected (to help with any adjustments). This kind of thing does warrant a utility of its own, cause it could be made quite powerful really

Funny! Suddenly I am reminded of the utility CHGPAL! Must be obsolete by now...

haha... yes. Well I was thinking of a GUI, cause when you change master palettes you usually lose some quality (and often the number of colors used after conversions is reduced). I would want to be able to automatically search for bad/redundant color fits and customize them to look better, with a realtime preview of the result. would be good practice for a more general color-remapping filter.
(no rest for the imaginative!)

Newbie_Power:
Oh lol. I rather suspect that what TMC was asking for was something like this:
(GIMP zealous crop is awesome -- I just erased the irregular parts and ran it to get this.)
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Helps me see what colors need slight alterations.

EDIT: Slight update on 5th and 9th (8th on the cropped version) ramps.

EDIT:

Taken a lot of suggestions from Shizuma.

EDIT: As requested by TMC, maptile version.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of Lord Shizuma's suggestions + alterations of green.

binoal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this is a dumb question, but how would i implement a new pallette? i have always used the built in master pallette just because im not good enough at pixel art to really know what colors i should use

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=963

Legend Of Zelda: Reptilian Warlord Demo

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=961
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choosing colors is not always an easy task. I tried to make sure even simple colors look good in this palette though, so hopefully that helps.

When this is finished, it'll be a 16x16 .bmp that you can import as a Master Palette.

Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update:

Made some ramps to go relevant light colors.

Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added some neon light colors (as suggested). Fixed the yellowish tan ramp. Oops.

Also added contrast to the red -> yellow ramp now that I am better at controlling the ramps.

Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This palette will be finished soon. Turns out really light colors are useful for highlights, and I started over.

NeoTA
Idiomatic Nomenclature

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that why all of the more recent palette images are broken? (403 forbidden)
Am just finishing up arranging my own palette (which is genuinely generic, in the same sense as the web palette is generic, but considerably better quality)

What are you using to edit the palette? I'm using Grafx2.

EDIT:
I ended up optimizing my palette further, so it's not fully arranged yet. However, here it is:
http://dgowers.livejournal.com/140003.html

Last edited by NeoTA on Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I deleted the images because I know people don't care about old useless versions of the palette.

I'm using Graphics Gale, which isn't getting enough love.

EDIT: Current version, if anyone is interested.

Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy to see orange!
Hi orange, I'm using the current default palette, and I miss you!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered: I met to ask if you have any finished palettes to contribute for Ypsiliform. Not as a new default master palette (we can always decide on that later), but for the import folder.

I just ran into a lack of orange when using the current default as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: