Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Newbie needs helpful hints! X) (New ones up!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoonweaver: I heavily disagree with your decision to make the divide down the middle of his shirt black.

Black is just too strong of a color for that thing. In real life, when you look at a shirt that's divided, when buttoned up the line will be thin. In pixel art, you need to represent thin lines that would usually be hard to notice from the viewer's distance with ligher, less contrasting lines, not hard, dark ones like BLACK.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But he still needs his hood! Mario has his red hat, Sonic has his shoes, Oliver has his hoodie. Without a hood, it's just a sweatshirt.

In all honestly, Hats and Shoes are a lot easier to represent on something this small.
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it was more of a color limit choice. I'd change it in the OHR if it was my game. Anyways, It's meant mainly as a guide to what I though might work, and not what he should use as his finished piece.
But, the middle line should still be a darker line then any of the random folds.

Also, I disagree with the fact that you guys went and got him to lop off his hero's hoodie's hood.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But, the middle line should still be a darker line then any of the random folds.
He could still use the same color as the folds and it would still register as a divide in the shirt. And even then, it was already a darker color than the folds.

If you're saying he shouldn't use black for the final product, then DON'T USE BLACK IN AN EDIT.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'm not exactly saying that he shouldn't use a black middle line on his final product, I meant that looking at it after you said that I agreed, but basically he makes the final call.
Second, I kind of think whatever he does will be fine. Graphics don't make the game, gameplay does. I just got sort of got into the thread to give the pumpkindude some of the activity he was begging for.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Second, I kind of think whatever he does will be fine. Graphics don't make the game, gameplay does.
He is also asking for tips to improve his sprite, so the goal should be to help improve his sprite for this thread, so I should be able to disagree on an aspect of your edit.

Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He is also asking for tips to improve his sprite, so the goal should be to help improve his sprite for this thread, so I should be able to disagree on an aspect of your edit.

lol, you act like I'm not letting you or something. You seem really offended that I agreed with your point. I'm really confused right now.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I am offended, but not of you agreeing with me, but rather when excuses are made.

All I am saying is that the black down the middle of the shirt doesn't work too well for what its purpose is serving. I don't know why you didn't just use some other color (which is available from the sprite itself), but I'll edit your edit.

Now, I didn't edit anything else (though the contrast could improve a bit more for the skin and some banding can be rid of in the pants), I wanted to edit specifically what this argument is about.

Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you leave those tiny line pieces there at the top and bottom? Looks weird.

Also:
Quote:
I wanted to edit specifically what this argument is about.

we weren't really having an argument. When one person says something and the other person agrees, that's called a constructive conversation.

Now this, this is an argument. ...about arguments

...though since I'm techniquelly acknowledging that we're currently having an argument it's not anymore. But by saying that it is.... BOOM. oh no My brains has exploded.

Last edited by Spoon Weaver on Fri May 01, 2009 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the bottom doesn't make sense, but the top can, since it implies a v at the neck.

Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the bottom kind of looks obscene in a way.
Pumpkinbot
Rock beats scissors! >:D

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that that's out of your systems...
TwinHamster wrote:
Not that you have to use them, but with 2 blues, 2 browns, 5 grays, and a background, you have 6 colors left.
Heh, that does look good. I may do that. But also remember that my walkabout graphics use the same palette, so it may not work out.
EDIT: Nah, it won't work. Sad...
EDIT2: Hm...After a bit of tweaking, I gave him two colors for the pants so he could have a better color for his mouth.
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to playing your game
Pumpkinbot
Rock beats scissors! >:D

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon Weaver wrote:
looking forward to playing your game
Thanks! Big grin Actually, if you want to know more about it, there's a (dying) thread about it in the Announcements board.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just give him a different palette for his walkabout?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: