Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Work in Progress: Blasted Earth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If that is the case then i will have to document each ta carefully to think im making a lot of sidequests, hmmm....
Usable only once tags use tags 1000-2000 instead of user defined tags, so you don't have to worry about them making your tags disorganized.

Quote:

BTW, is there a version of ohr or an add on that allows more layers of maptiles for a map? I mean, i want to use different full tilesets to make a unique large map. Like four 320x200 drawings combined....
TMC is working on adding more map layers. The fact somebody needs more will likely encourage him.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastedEarth wrote:
If that is the case then i will have to document each ta carefully to think im making a lot of sidequests, hmmm....

You can name the normal tags already. I found that usually enough documentation. Like when I do a sidequest I would have something like this:
Tag 12 - Food Sidequest Started
Tag 13 - Food Item GET
Tag 14 - Food Sidequest Cleared

Quote:
TMC is working on adding more map layers. The fact somebody needs more will likely encourage him.

On the other hand the one screen = one map concept is pretty interesting too.

@BlastedEarth
Try out the game Grief if you haven't done so yet.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a quest log easy, just make a menu called quest log (btw, each menu can only have 20 items, so I'd suggest having a back and foward item at the top and bottom of every page, here...instead of explaining, I'll give you this test RPG file as an example:

http://rs302l3.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/upload.cgi?rsuploadid=325950082498895939

this'll give you the basics, feel free to open up the RPG file to see how I did it, and how it works, for a 3 part quest it takes 3 tags, a start, collection, and end bit, its pretty simple and needs no coding :p
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Newbie_Power: Really? Now i feel relieved....

@Rya.Reisender: That approach seems handy il definitely resort to it. And i tried the grief game, it was pretty engaging but i couldn't finish it because im working on my game....

@NeoSpade: The rapidshare link has no file but i checked what you were talking about and it was really great. Now im really making lots of quests.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really convinced now that loading an rpg file is a good idea, can it be done? I was planing to make an rpg file for the intro and the game will be loaded from another rpg file is that possible
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastedEarth wrote:
I'm really convinced now that loading an rpg file is a good idea, can it be done? I was planing to make an rpg file for the intro and the game will be loaded from another rpg file is that possible

No, that is not possible.

Why does keeping the intro in a separate RPG file sound like a good idea?
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking of cycling some maps to make an intro animation and then proceed to a character selection screen. then il make an rpg file for each character and load it when a character is chosen, what do you think of this idea?

edit: specifically a battale sequence because i saw in battle formations maker that yu can cycle frames and make captions as well, maybe through this an animated intro can be arranged?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to animate a sequence of screens is with a plotscript showing a series of backdrops.

Suppose your animation has 20 backdrops, and you import them in backdrop slots starting with number 8

Code:

plotscript, intro sequence, begin
  variable(num)
  for(num, 8, 27) do(
    show backdrop(num)
    wait(3)
  )
  show map
end

You could do it with a battle also, but that is going to be really hard to get right. You would have to hide the status bars, and blank out the hero graphics, and use blank enemy graphics, and although you could make text appear using chained attack captions, you would have a hard time making the timing of them match the animation.

With a plotscript you can use text boxes together with show backdrop.

Code:

plotscript, intro sequence, begin
  variable(num)
  for(num, 8, 17) do(
    show backdrop(num)
    wait(3)
  )
  show text box(5)
  for(num, 18, 27) do(
    show backdrop(num)
    wait(3)
  )
  advance text box
  show map
end

As for putting each hero's story in a separate file (aside from the fact that there is no way to load one RPG file from another), I think that is a bad idea because the characters are going to be able to meet each other over the course of each story, right? And they are all in the same city, right? So you will be re-using character graphics and location graphics in each different game. That means that if you change graphics in one, you have to copy the changes to each other rpg file. The same goes for items and attacks and enemies that need to be the same in all storylines.

The only way I see multiple RPG files working is if you create each story one-by-one and treat them like sequels or episodes.

I think you are better off keeping everything in one RPG file.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, good point, il try this, i hope i can make it work though im not so good with scripting^^

As for putting each hero's story in a separate file (aside from the fact that there is no way to load one RPG file from another), I think that is a bad idea because the characters are going to be able to meet each other over the course of each story, right? And they are all in the same city, right? So you will be re-using character graphics and location graphics in each different game. That means that if you change graphics in one, you have to copy the changes to each other rpg file. The same goes for items and attacks and enemies that need to be the same in all storylines.

I was thinking of cloning the first rpg file i could finish and just tweak the main plot but if thats its really not possible to load files il just consider a change of approach or maybe the sequels like you are suggesting. thank you....
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest using the same RPG file for all and then make all NPCs talk depending on the characters in your party (you can check for this condition). That's basically how SaGaFrontier does it too.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to change the walkaby's because the outline really is quite disturbing. I drew in the OHR to because it turns out it's easier than to try to make the imported graphics work. But the fight sprites still retain their outlines because it looks quite good....

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those walkabouts look great!

Virtually everybody uses fat wide walkabouts in a style similar to the SNES Final Fantasy games. You and Pepsi Ranger (in Powerstick Man) are the only ones I have seen doing realistically proportioned walkabouts.
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks!

If a character has a +1 Hit on level one, and has +5 on 99, when does she get the additional hits? Is it at random, if random, how frequent? If not is there a pattern?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's spread out over all 99 levels. You'll never realistically reach 5 hits if the stat max is 5, to be honest.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
BlastedEarth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean? That the character wont get all attacks? what's a good number? Can it be possible to be higher that 4?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: