Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What became of FFG?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The songs I've finished are on the songlist now:

Beach Final (This is the beach I sent to you earlier, but now it's finished. I don't know why I couldn't create the songname Beach.)

Chocobo Ride (I still think this one is lacking.)

The Chocobo in Jazz (I'm not sure if you need another Chocobo theme, but I composed this one recently. You might replace Chocobo Ride with this one. Sorry for the pseudojazz.)

Is that list you gave me then still accurate as to what's needed?
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds sweet :D

No links though? I'll look to see if you posted them in BAMtastic or something and I missed it.

But yeah, the list should still be right. At work, I'll post tommorow specifically which midis I need for the demo portion of the game and a little bit about what they will be used for.

EDIT:
I just found the songs section :O Never knew about that :D

So, about your songs:
Beach Final; This one is perfect for that area. :D Excellent!
Chocobo Ride; Pretty good :) I like how it started with some vibraphone or somthing like that, and then worked into a drum rythm. I was sad to see the drum rythm disappear soon after though. It was catchy. Any chance you can add some of that rythm to the rest of the song? :3
Chocobo Jazz Mix; A little too slow for the chocobo ride theme but too neat of a song to go to waste. Originally the battle colleseum and big chocobo race sign up counters were going to in the same room, but I could make a seperate section of the colleseum for chocobo race events. This music would be great for a chocobo races signup lobby. :D
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, your spriting doesn't involve photoshop or anything other than skill, and it has improved dramatically and I can't wait to see everything work in harmony. Those are all individual enimies though, and not pasted onto a backdrop right?
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RMZ
Yeah, they are indavidual enemies. The larger ones consist of 2-7 seperate untargetable enemies with a targetable boss enemy. When the targetable dies the entire thing disappears. There are a few enemies that are built into the backdrop for specific story battles, but thats like 3 out of 300.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the first grass battle bg because the perspective is better. The one one will look extremely weird with the heros standing on it.
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right fyre. I'll leave it how it is for now for the teaser demo. If you think it looks awkward when you play it, I'll redo the BG. :)
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KainMinter wrote:
You might be right fyre. I'll leave it how it is for now for the teaser demo. If you think it looks awkward when you play it, I'll redo the BG. Happy

You should make sure it looks right now, because everyone will get their first impression from your first demo.
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see your point...

I have several BGs to redo then, since this one as well as many others started off on the same perspective stensil. This time through, i'll place a BG-less screen shot as an overlay so that I can make sure the perspective is right. Redo-ing these may take a pretty long time, so I guess nvm on having battles in the teaser.. maybe just the ability to play the card game, explore the world map, and look at the games current beastiary. Or I can hold of on releasing any sort demo I suppose. Ah well.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KainMinter wrote:
Ok, I see your point...

I have several BGs to redo then, since this one as well as many others started off on the same perspective stensil. This time through, i'll place a BG-less screen shot as an overlay so that I can make sure the perspective is right. Redo-ing these may take a pretty long time, so I guess nvm on having battles in the teaser.. maybe just the ability to play the card game, explore the world map, and look at the games current beastiary. Or I can hold of on releasing any sort demo I suppose. Ah well.

I honestly would rather you not release a demo and let people wait for the finished thing. Creating a demo (as you may have noticed) actually requires more work and stress than just working on the game "as usual".) There are people that still (Yes, Charbile still ribs me for this) judge Sword of Jade off a demo that came out 4 years ago. If you really want to release a demo, go for it. Just make sure it's a demo you want to release and not a demo to meet a deadline.

Also, never ever ever announce a release date until your game is done, so you positively can't miss it Razz
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA! That tickles me, because you're definitly the one with experience. Wise words, Fyre.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kain, I'm wondering what things do you do in photoshop to make the sprites that...good.I mean I usally do my graphics in custom so I can be sure it'll import right.What can you do to keep the colors the same but still use the effects?

O and as for the backdrops.Have those already been imported or what? They look a bit...too...spiffy.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's quite easy, actually.

http://hamsterrepublic.com/dl/ohr_palette.zip

That's the default OHR palette in various formats. You can use it to index your image (Image->Mode->Indexed Color...). In the indexed color window, under Palette, choose Custom... Then, in the palette window, choose Load... Then, select that .pal I linked above.

Or, even better, you can make your own master palette, so you have complete control over the colours. But, that's an exercise for the reader Wink

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backdrops import pretty well. All of the colors are OHR friendly, so there are minimal 'uhoh's when importing them. I'm going to be redoing them again probably though.

About what things I do to keep sprites the right colors;
When I am drawing something in photoshop for the OHR, I keep an image of the palette open next to what im working on. That way I can use the eye dropper to grab w/e color I need quickly w/o having to worry about it not being a part of the OHR crayon box.

Here's the palette image I use if you'd like to use it.

You'll have to play with the Dodge and Burn tools settings to get them to shade in tones that are available in the palette. For most colors, I set them to Highlight mode. Some colors, such as cyan/sky blue/pinks/pale greens/etc, do not work correctly in this mode, so you'll need to switch to mitones or shadows mode and see what works. You can always stop to index your palette to the one that Mike provided there now and then to make sure you are still on track and no colors are off.

One advice I have for you if you make shaded sprites using dodge and burn tools; When designing the monster and choosing what colors to make it, remember that the fewer the colors the better. Having more than 2 or 3 color types will impose problems when it comes to switching to a 15 color palette when you have all that shading to account for.

Hope that helps :)
LongeBane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice improvements. I remember reading about this game the day before you posted this topic, interesting coincidence. I was sad that it had dissapeared, and the next day you prove me wrong! I wouldve posted earlier but I couldn't login until recently.

I am keeping my eyes out for this one.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.Although I'm not too sure how to use color indexing in the GIMP.But I'll figure it out.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: