Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

48 Hour Contest: Once Upon Another Time...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: 48 Hour Contest: Once Upon Another Time... Reply with quote

Yes, it's here. The 6th (or maybe 7th?) annual 48 hour contest~! This year, dubbed "Once Upon Another Time", the contest will be slightly more challenging (well, in my opinion). I cant release any of the details of that yet, but I can put up the rules for this year.

WHO: Anyone can join! But before you enter, you must private message me with you and/or a partner's name. There is no more than 2 people per entry. If you don't message me with a name, I wont accept your entry.

WHEN: Weekend of the 24th-25th, July 2004. Contestants can begin making the game as soon as it hits the 24 (Eastern Time), and ends at the end of the 25th. I will allow an extra hour for people to submit their games.

HOW: On the morning of the 24th, I will release all necessary information and a .RPG file that must be used in the creation of each entry. As soon as the .RPG file is released, contestants have 48 hours to make a game that has some playable content. After 48 hours are up, I will give another hour to each person to submit their entry. Contestants are free to submit their game ahead of time, but late entries will result in deducted points.

After the games are made, people from the community have an opportunity to vote for their top 5 choices, and ultimately, choose a winner for this years contest. The only prize is knowing that you've contributed to the community ^^. The rest of the information will be posted on contest day. So look forward to it ^^.

BTW... Please, please, please, PLEASE dont just reply to the thread saying that you're gonna join. Please message me. It'll be easiar for me to keep track of who's in and I wont be looking around to see if people entered or not. Oh... and please point out anything that seems like a mistake. I'm only human Oookay...
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe last year you allowed us to use premade scripts, djfenix. I have a general concept for my entry, and I was wondering if you would allow us to use the premade scripts this year.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extending that question, will you be limiting the gameplay mechanics of the games we produce? Or can we plan ahead and stick on a theme later?
djfenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer both questions:

I'd like so that everything is limited to 48 hours, which would generally include planning, plotscripting, etc. So I'm trusting that people would follow, and not make anything ahead of time. If people do make stuff ahead of time, there's no way I can really check.

Kinda long-winded... but I hope that in one way or another answered you're questions Ha ha ha!
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay. I might actually be able to participate this time. Raspberry!
Dan the Man Entertainment

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NUTS!!!!!

I always wanted to join one of these contests, but, now that I have a chance, I'll be busy with college things. The next time you hold a contest, make sure you contact me, because, one of these days I WILL JOIN ONE OF THESE CONTESTS, AND THAT'S A PROMISE!!!!!

If my schedule's clean for those two days, however, I'll PM you DJ.
Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww nuts... university starts the monday before that weekend. I'll be too... busy (or drunk Oookay...)... to be doing much.

we'll see... maybe Giz would like to give this a shot with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will you announce the limitations of the theme?

Because...I...want to know...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ssalamanderr
Simply too strong. Simply too beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the morning of the 24th, I will release all necessary information

I'm looking forward to the contest. So far the 48 hour contest is the only time I've done ANY work.

Ukelele no good!
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap it! The morning of? That means I can't do any cheating at all...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jjkaybomb
Brunettes have more hair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brothers birthday is on the 24th!!!!!! I wonder if I'll be able to do this...
and I have a question, when you say morning, do you mean sixish or tenish? or is it midnight?
RedMaverickZero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jjkaybomb, I remember last year, Fenrir made Rampaging Gineau Pig in like 2 hours. The whole damn game in 2 hours. Some people needed every second of their 48 Hours. It all depends on the concept of the game you are working on really. Either way, this is a challenge and it tests your skills with the OHR. Heh.
rpgspotKahn
Lets see...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with that question... Must I stay awake the whole night until I get the instructions at midnight, or what other set time are you thinking?

2nd Edition out now!
RedMaverickZero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest, like what we did last year, to start the contest right when it begins. That way you can optimize the amount of time you'll have altogether. I know some of us will need all the time we possibly can for this contest.
djfenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information will be released as soon as the day becomes the 24th, which does indeed mean midnight (which also means that it's morning ^^)

People every year just stay up til midnight, and some of us stay on IRC until the moment that I release the info. And some people start the games right at that time, some people start the game a little later on in the day. Either way, results are mostly exceptional, whether or not people use the full 48 hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: