Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

JOIN DISCORD IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: JOIN DISCORD IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT HELP! Reply with quote

Here's the invite link to the Discord server

https://discord.gg/wsz9pnMc

Discord is the new OHRRPGCE forum
The Discord Channel is in charge now
Castle Paradox is a relic of the past.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, avoid actively hostile Discord communities and find some more general purpose independent game development circles to discuss your works in.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Charbile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double alternatively, go hermit mode and work on your game without the distraction of social novelty.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feedback from players is always more useful than feedback from fellow developers. Feedback from completely new players tends to be the most useful.

Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a discussion that should be happening on the discord channel.

https://discord.gg/BRD4SEyj
Charbile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's amazing how discord and other chat programs are killing forums

it's equally interesting how everyone imagined in the future, all communication would be video voice chat, and we have that, yet it's hardly used
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Textual messaging is superior in a lot of ways
But I think one thing a lot of people didn't foresee were shared videos
A lot of the times we want to communicate a large amount of information without being interrupted and voice to voice really isn't good for that

But if you look at youtube vlogs, I think we can see what actually happening to video chatting.

Also, last year a TON of people started video chatting, so there IS that
the future is now
Andrew-David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people born in or after the early 2000s don't even know what a forum is. Reddit is probably the closest thing to a forum some of them have ever experienced – if anything. I think everyone's just on Discord now.

And as I type this, I realise how old it makes me sound. Soon, I'll be yelling "Get off my lawn, damn whippersnappers!"
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know one time, it must have been about 10 years ago now.
There was a bunch of kids on my lawn.
Well actually it was my stoop, as that's what I had at the time.
Anyways, I was walking up to my place and this group of kids was just hangin out on my stoop.
I'm not sure why, but I can just assume they were out riding bikes and had randomly decided to stop and rest on that stoop that so happened to be mine.
Now these werent really teenagers but they weren't tiny children either. They may have been middleschoolers. Anyways I just walk up to them and sort of gester to get by and so they shift to the side and I walk by. But I look back and my girlfriend at the time, this wasn't my now wife, but a girl before that. I dated her for about 2 years and even lived with her for a few months. Anyways she just stood there not wanted to walk by, so I ended up having top walk back down and reach and grab her hand and guide her past them.
She looked annoyed which I sort of understood. It was a little annoying that the children picked my stoop of all the stoops, but it wasn't what I considered a big deal honestly.
So we get inside and my girlfriend at the time started saying all this stuff about how I should have stood up to the gang of children. I was pretty confused. I hadn't seen them as equals at all and wouldnt think of raising a hand to a child. I wasn't really all that bothered by children on my stoop, any more than I may have been if there were a pack of squirrels on my stoop. Thats when I remember starting to think about what would happen if there was a group of squirrels. I would scoot them off and walk past, like I did. Would she have still been angry?
That's when it dawn on me though. It was because I was dating someone younger than myself. When I met her she was 18 and I was 23. Looking back, it's not that big of an age difference, but that 5 years made all the difference. She had seen gang bangers or something while I had seen children. I think I began to understand things werent going to work out then, but I continued to date her for maybe about a year more. I regret having stayed with her longer, but I guess everything ended up ok.
You can't ever know what decisions led you to the place you are now, so it never makes sense to regret something. It's possible if you made a different decisions, things might be bad now instead of good.
And things are good now. I no longer have a stoop, I have a lawn and on my lawn are my own kids, and I'd never tell them to get off that lawn.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon Weaver wrote:

I've never found a way voice communication is superior to textual communication. The worst thing is voice without a live body present - expressions and body language are hard to read in general, but voice inflections without them are worse somehow.

Text is a lot easier to be clear with. Text-based miscommunication is usually the result of someone trying to read meaning into the text that isn't there, then getting angry at the extra meaning that existed only in their own heads. Sometimes it's the result of not explicitly including information the sender had taken for granted, sometimes it's poor composition or using the wrong word for a situation.

Speaking to or listening to a person talk is extremely exhausting. Being expected to show interest if they're droning on for a long time about unimportant things even more so. Reading large amounts of text can tire the eyes and the brain, but is a lot easier to absorb and a lot easier to revisit later if need be.

Or maybe that's just me.

Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:
Spoon Weaver wrote:

I've never found a way voice communication is superior to textual communication. The worst thing is voice without a live body present - expressions and body language are hard to read in general, but voice inflections without them are worse somehow.

Text is a lot easier to be clear with. Text-based miscommunication is usually the result of someone trying to read meaning into the text that isn't there, then getting angry at the extra meaning that existed only in their own heads. Sometimes it's the result of not explicitly including information the sender had taken for granted, sometimes it's poor composition or using the wrong word for a situation.

Speaking to or listening to a person talk is extremely exhausting. Being expected to show interest if they're droning on for a long time about unimportant things even more so. Reading large amounts of text can tire the eyes and the brain, but is a lot easier to absorb and a lot easier to revisit later if need be.

Or maybe that's just me.

Different people prefer different things, as usual.
Social skills are more important when face to face.
You can't just turn someone off or exit the page if they are talking to you, so you need to use social skills to gracefully handle that sort of thing.
On the flip side, you can get away with a lot more textually. Even the worst online flamewar doesn't affect someone as much as someone screaming in your face or punching you for what you just said.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon Weaver wrote:
Even the worst online flamewar doesn't affect someone as much as someone screaming in your face or punching you for what you just said.

And yet people still act like having unpopular opinions is worse than literal murder. Go figure.

Swordplay
Be All End All

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoon Weaver wrote:
You know one time, it must have been about 10 years ago now.
There was a bunch of kids on my lawn.
Well actually it was my stoop, as that's what I had at the time.
Anyways, I was walking up to my place and this group of kids was just hangin out on my stoop.
I'm not sure why, but I can just assume they were out riding bikes and had randomly decided to stop and rest on that stoop that so happened to be mine.
Now these werent really teenagers but they weren't tiny children either. They may have been middleschoolers. Anyways I just walk up to them and sort of gester to get by and so they shift to the side and I walk by. But I look back and my girlfriend at the time, this wasn't my now wife, but a girl before that. I dated her for about 2 years and even lived with her for a few months. Anyways she just stood there not wanted to walk by, so I ended up having top walk back down and reach and grab her hand and guide her past them.
She looked annoyed which I sort of understood. It was a little annoying that the children picked my stoop of all the stoops, but it wasn't what I considered a big deal honestly.
So we get inside and my girlfriend at the time started saying all this stuff about how I should have stood up to the gang of children. I was pretty confused. I hadn't seen them as equals at all and wouldnt think of raising a hand to a child. I wasn't really all that bothered by children on my stoop, any more than I may have been if there were a pack of squirrels on my stoop. Thats when I remember starting to think about what would happen if there was a group of squirrels. I would scoot them off and walk past, like I did. Would she have still been angry?
That's when it dawn on me though. It was because I was dating someone younger than myself. When I met her she was 18 and I was 23. Looking back, it's not that big of an age difference, but that 5 years made all the difference. She had seen gang bangers or something while I had seen children. I think I began to understand things werent going to work out then, but I continued to date her for maybe about a year more. I regret having stayed with her longer, but I guess everything ended up ok.
You can't ever know what decisions led you to the place you are now, so it never makes sense to regret something. It's possible if you made a different decisions, things might be bad now instead of good.
And things are good now. I no longer have a stoop, I have a lawn and on my lawn are my own kids, and I'd never tell them to get off that lawn.

YOU ARE THE LAWN CHAMPION (and also stoop hero)
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swordplay wrote:
Spoon Weaver wrote:
{things I said}

YOU ARE THE LAWN CHAMPION (and also stoop hero)

Stoop Hero sounds like a great title for a contest game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum