Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A speed bar??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphawolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: A speed bar?? Reply with quote

I have an idea for a speed bar- a bar that will appear on the top left side
of the screen, that increases every second or so, when a button is held
down it will decrease and the player will dash (but when the bar is empty
the player cannot dash)

Any ideas of how to implement this? I'm assuming it will get deep into
plotscripting, timers, conditionals, etc, but I'm okay with all that Ha ha ha!

http://societyofdreamers.webs.com/ <-- poetry forum, visit if you'd like, it's almost as dead as this forum (hehe) but it's just started.

##Contact at cckisby-SPAM@gmail.com#
#Remove the -SPAM above to prove you're# #not a spambot :/##
##AlphaWolf Studios##
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the scripts from Escape the Wolf if you want. they do something very similar to what you are trying to do.

Making a button that lets you dash is pretty simple. There is an example script here: http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Scripts:Dash

You just need to add a meter, and make the meter shrink when you are dashing, and disable dashing when the meter is empty.

Really this is just a global variable. Maybe you start it off at 50, and subtract 1 each time you take a step while dashing.

The meter is just a few slices that visually display the value of the variable.

I suggest you start off without a meter, and just use the "show value" command to display the variable. That way you can get the dashing part working correctly before you worry about the meter display.

For the meter, I would suggest two slices, one for the outside border of the meter. it's size and position never need to change. The second slice is a child of the first one, and it represents the colored part of the meter.

You can use "set timer" to make a meter display script update once every tick. The meter display script simply checks the global variable, and adjusts the size of the meter slice.
alphawolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch Big grin
I will certianly get on that! And I already had the original dash script (but not being able to find an inbetween for speeds 5 and 10, I wanted to still give the player a challenge while dashing)

http://societyofdreamers.webs.com/ <-- poetry forum, visit if you'd like, it's almost as dead as this forum (hehe) but it's just started.

##Contact at cckisby-SPAM@gmail.com#
#Remove the -SPAM above to prove you're# #not a spambot :/##
##AlphaWolf Studios##
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum