Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Map Night Effect - Best Method

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyDew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Map Night Effect - Best Method Reply with quote

Hello.

I'm currently working on a part of my game that I would like to take place "at night". I was doing google searches and searches on wiki for night effects. I saw this:

Code:
variable (i)
for (i, 0, 255) do, begin
   write color (i, color:red,   read color(i,color:red)/8)
   write color (i, color:green, read color(i,color:green)/8)
end

In one of the articles. It's definitely good for a quick way to set all the tiles to looking like they're night-timey but it also changes the color for battle, the menus, etc. I was wondering if here was any other way, even if it's more complicated and time-involving to set some tiles as night-time but leave the rest of the game in the default palette settings.

At present what I was planning on doing was screen grabbing a shot of the tiles set to "night time" with the scripting code above. Then I was going to import the screen into the editor, cut the tiles, and have a "night time" set. This way I could control which tiles were dark, and which ones were normal as I want t have bright burning lanterns, etc over top of the dark blue night tiles. Then maybe I could do a hide layer command or something (not sure if there is one) to switch the map from night to day.

I'm still trying to do my best to research all the scripting commands for things, but I was just wondering if there was something I was missing or any easier way to convert pre-existing tiles I have to "night" effect.

Thank you.

-KS
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a command to switch tilesets. If you want to go the extra mile, you can also switch around all the heroes' and NPCs' palettes.
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just export the tileset, run it through some filters in Gimp or another graphics editor, and reimport it. You could even add dithering while you're at it if needed. The script you posted is very simple; you could probably get a much better effect.

Also, there's currently no way to hide/unhide a map layer via script. Instead, just set the layer's tileset to an entirely transparent one to hide it.
HappyDew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, there's currently no way to hide/unhide a map layer via script. Instead, just set the layer's tileset to an entirely transparent one to hide it.

I don't understand what you mean. How would this work for going from daytime to night time? Using a transparent layer.

Also Gimp is a totally foreign land to me. I watched a youtube video fo James Paige drawing a shark to see how to reduce the color palette and save the image as somethign that the OHR would accept for importation. That's pretty much the only thing I've used it for so far. I'm a lot more comfortable drawing sprites in the editor which is primaril what I'm working on right now. So was just wondering what I would do when I run the exported tile set through Gimp. Thnks.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I was just throwing in that information about faking hiding of layers because you mentioned a "hide layer" command.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Gimp too, but the filters are easy to use. Just look in the 'Colors' menu of a loaded image's window, and you'll see lots of options like 'Hue-Saturation', 'Colorize', 'Levels', 'Curves', 'Posterize'. Each provides a different way to change the colours of the image. Of course, I don't know exactly how to get some specific effect I want, but I just play around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum