Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Let's debate God's existence!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does God exist?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add:
Just because this good/evil spectrum exists, this doesn't mean that an objective good doesn't exist.

I've spoken with many people who are aware of the relativity of good and evil and they conclude that there therefore is no such thing as true goodness, and that the idea of "good" is entirely a human invention.
In other words, they believe that murder is bad and heroism is good only because most people tend to think this way.

While I can't prove them wrong, I don't think it's necessary for them to arrive at that conclusion. An objective good very well can exist as an ideal, while everything on the spectrum is approximating that ideal.

Quote:

To re-start the whole discussion yet again: Can we prove there ISN'T a supreme being(s)?

Maybe. If you described to me a consequence or quality of this supreme being's existence, then we might be able to build an argument.
The "problem of evil" is one such argument. It goes roughly like this:
I assume God to possess some qualities:
1) God is good
2) God is all-powerful
Then I observe that
3) Evil exists
Now, a good God would not permit evil to exist, but since evil exists, God therefore cannot be both all-powerful and all-good.

As I argued in an earlier post, 3) is not true. Rather, it should state:
3) Things exist in varying degrees of "goodness"
and it is considerably more difficult to argue that God is blameworthy for this state of affairs.
As for me, I actually think it is a good state of affairs.
J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. With everything. Yes, I believe GOOD exists. I, personally do NOT agree with the concept of EVIL, though.

I believe murder is not GOOD, obviously. But does that make it EVIL? Well, if the world was going to explode and only you held the secret to save it (just an example...) and somebody was going to kill YOU, would it be EVIL to kill them? I believe not. Obviously, killing one person would be more desirable than letting the world exploding and intrinsically killing everybody.

Ironically, Star Trek had this theory to a degree. For those of us who've seen it, remember 'The many over the one'? I believe that was a Vulcan concept (go figure) They were considered the most logical beings in creation. Does that mean they were evil for even considering killing one/less over killing many? Not in my opinion.
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJHunter wrote:
But a more relevant question: Why would God allow bad things to happen?
I'v been waiting for someone to ask this question, but we've kind of gone off topic, no matter how yummy the results (ice cream and omletts... :liplick: )

I don't know any scientific way of approaching that question.

However, I do remember from going to church with my Dad, that question was covered quite often. The answer usually given was something along the lines of, "God allows evil to exist so that we have a choice between good and evil. If there was no alternative to being good, then we might as well be robots, and if God wanted robots he would have created robots instead of humans" (the preacher rarely actually used the word "robots", I am paraphrasing)

Personally, I am inclined to say that no such thing as objective good or objective evil exists. Big emphasis on "objective". Good and evil in a cosmological sense are relative concepts. is what is good for an electron is bad for a positron? However from a HUMAN perspective, a reasonable consensus on what is good and evil is not hard to imagine at all (Note that I said the consensus was easy to imagine, not that the consensus was easy to come to)

The question "Why does God allow evil to exist?" is a good question, but I think and even more interesting and difficult question is "Why do Humans do evil things to each other?"

I don't know the answer to that, but the first place I would start looking is in the subjective nature of good and evil.

For example, Many people think that a doctor who helps terminally ill patients commit suicide is doing something evil, but a doctor who does such a thing probably feels that he or she is doing something good by stopping their suffering.

Or to take a more prosaic example, the RIAA thinks I am doing evil when I download the Torrent to [Bandname]'s new album, but I think that they are doing evil to fix prices at $0.99 a track when I wouldn't pay more than $0.15 a track.

Some evil is easier to come to consensus about than other evil. Some things aren't hard to agree on. Other things are insanely hard to agree on.

I have a feeling that most people intend to do good most of the time. Some evil comes from people failing to do what they know is right, but I suspect most of it comes from people disagreeing on which is which.
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracon wrote:
Two words, Free Will.

Wow... got to that quicker than expected. I'm gonna have to ask deeper questions... Huh?

AHA! Here's one:
Why, if God is all powerful and whatnot, why doesn't He force us to believe in Him? (I got this one from a book Big grin I can read Big grin Big grin )
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! Ooh! I know!

2 words: Free will.

Somehow I think I'm copying my brother...

Oh... I didn't mention that, did I? Well I will now. Dracon and I are brothers. Just as an FYI, in case you guys notice similarities in the way we talk.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJHunter wrote:
AHA! Here's one:
Why, if God is all powerful and whatnot, why doesn't He force us to believe in Him? (I got this one from a book :D I can read :D :D )

I think the standard answer to that is "Forced belief isn't belief". But that seems a bit oversimplified.

If God suddenly appeared in the sky and said "Hey, everybody! It's Me, God!" would we be forced to believe in him? ("Hi God!")

Does the Sun force us to believe in it by being in the sky every day and shining on us? I guess so... and that doesn't seem like a problem... The sun forces me to believe in it, and it still feels like belief. Gravity forces me to believe in it, and it still feels like belief...

"All Powerful" is an interesting concept too. Here is a metaphor to chew on. Which of the following is more powerful?

(1) The King of Venus is so powerful he can make or change any law he wants at any time, no questions asked.
(2) The King of Mars is so powerful that he can make laws that can never be broken or changed, not even by himself.

Which one of those types of All Powerful is God?
Camdog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found it strange that people insist on god being both all-powerful and all-good, and then jump through all kinds of logical hoops to explain how the current state of the universe jives with that idea of God.

A deist might say god created the universe, but now does nothing to influence it, either by choice or inability. I guess some might say a being must be all good and all powerful to be termed god, but it seems to me that a being that created the universe and decides the fate of my soul could be reasonably called god, even if that being exerts no control over the physical world.

Philosophersnet.com has a neat quiz about ideas of what god is and how well they stand up to logic. It's thought provoking and pretty fun, even if you disagree.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have reached the end!

Congratulations! You have made it to the end of this activity.

You took zero direct hits and you bit zero bullets. The average player of this activity to date takes 1.39 hits and bites 1.10 bullets. 468608 people have so far undertaken this activity.

The fact that you progressed through this activity neither being hit nor biting a bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and very well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. You would have bitten bullets had you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, you avoided both these fates - and in doing so qualify for our highest award. A fine achievement!

Interesting site.

It raises a question that I was just thinking about: no matter what your views on God or omnipotence are, there is no way God can alter the fact that 1 + 1 = 2 or that the circumference of a circle divided by its diameter is pi. There must therefore be certain irrevocable laws (of the universe/nature/what have you) to which even God is beholden. "All-powerful" must mean that God has all the power that can be had; to say that it means he can do literally anything is already self-contradictory (create a rock he cannot lift, etc.).

And at this point we're straying dangerously close to personal religion and away from the original question. But the site does a good job of revealing whether there is any cognitive dissonance in your conception of "God," which I think is very relevant to the discussion.

And, yes, it is possible. I'm interested to hear what other people get on the test.
It's been real.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bit one bullet; but when I went back and picked the other answer (just to see), I was hit by the bullet, so I couldn't win. Huh.
I took no hits, though. Really cool test; I enjoyed it.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
It raises a question that I was just thinking about: no matter what your views on God or omnipotence are, there is no way God can alter the fact that 1 + 1 = 2 or that the circumference of a circle divided by its diameter is pi.

I can't resist mentioning nonstandard number bases and circles mapped to non-planar surfaces, but I only bring those up to be a smartass, not to disagree with your excellent point, which you have stated very well :)

I played the game on that website too. I took two hits and no bullets. I had a problem with the way some of the questions were phrased, and I felt they were making true/false questions out of things a little to complex to be reduced thusly.

One of the questions was (I pharaphrase)

that website wrote:

If there is no evidence that the Loch Ness Monster exists, it is reasonable to believe it does not exist.

I answered TRUE, because I think that is reasonable.

I took a hit later when I answered a similar question about belief in God, saying that I thought it was reasonable to believe he existed.

The problem with that question, is that if they had asked this instead:

that website did not wrote:

If there is no evidence that the Loch Ness Monster exists, it is reasonable to believe it does exist anyway.

To which I would have ALSO answered TRUE

If they had asked:

If there is no evidence that the Loch Ness Monster exists, it is unreasonable to believe it does not exist.

I would have answered FALSE

and to

If there is no evidence that the Loch Ness Monster exists, it is unreasonable to believe it does exist anyway.

I would have also answered FALSE

My point in all this is that the "does/doesn't exist" and the "reasonable/unreasonable to believe in" are both logical pairs, but they are NOT identical to one another. All four statements are about the ABSENCE of evidence, therefore by my estimation everything is reasonable and nothing is unreasonable.

Does any of that make any sense to anybody else?
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You took zero direct hits and you bit 2 bullets. The average player of this activity to date takes 1.39 hits and bites 1.10 bullets. 468623 people have so far undertaken this activity

You have been awarded the TPM medal of distinction! This is our second highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity without being hit and biting very few bullets suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. The bitten bullets occurred because you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, because you bit only two bullets and avoided direct hits completely you still qualify for our second highest award. A good achievement!

Apparently my logic is erroneous because I believe people can believe whatever they want. Interesting quiz. Thanks Camdog!

Bagne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ James
I think I follow you.

I too took a hit on the Loch Ness.
And I too was frustrated with the wording.

My problem was this:
They said something like "After considerable investigation, you find no evidence of the Loch Ness ..."

And this was regarded as analogous to "Without a compelling argument or evidence for the existence of God ..."

I don't think it is - and this misunderstanding is basically what triggered my long debate with Moogle. If you're engaging in "considerable investigation" I would assume you're testing hypotheses and so on. If you test your expectations, and get nothing, I would consider this evidence that your expectations are wrong.
This is different to simply having "no evidence" for the existence of the Loch Ness, or "no evidence" for the existence of God.

Am I just trying to force an unintended meaning to these statements?

Last edited by Bagne on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bagne: No, I don't think you're trying to force a meaning into that. I got that impression, too. Quite irritating, actually. but it was an interesting quiz.

Bagne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That quiz was neat.

Are there others about other cool philosophical issues?
msw188

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with James about the wording. I didn't realize it until I tried taking it myself. They use the word 'justified', not reasonable, and I think James' compaint about the Loch Ness is perfect. Indeed, in the lack of evidence, I find both belief and non-belief to be justifiable, which is why I answered that God becomes a matter of faith. I don't see why this would be a logical contradiction.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: