Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Endless Saga

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfenix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Endless Saga Reply with quote

I just had to post this up, cuz I've been working on it so much lately that I'm getting all giddy and excited! So far school/work hasn't hindered me this past month, and i've been getting lots done.

But, anyways. A bit of info on the project:

I've worked on Endless Saga for 10 years now, starting off with my crappy ass "Slayers" game, then being renamed later to Endless Saga. The second version (and the version that is available for download) was made available since 2001 i think? And that version was pretty much abandoned shortly after release.

About 3 years ago, after mingling with a bunch of other failed projects, short-lived contest entries, and other sorts of experimentation, I decided to go back into my original venture into the OHR. Looking at it back now, I realized that it wasn't total garbage. In fact, now that I've matured so much, I'm sure i can boost up the presentation 100x better, and rework the story to make it more realistic (like, why was there a military base 10 steps away from a village that it just attacked).

So, the story is not much different from the original 2 stories. In fact, I tried to retain the original story as much as I could. You still start off with Leo and Terry trying to get the sword, and you're still returning it to the village where Leo is reunited with Lynn. A little later on, you'll join with Reina (from the original Slayers game) and try to retrieve the treasure that was stolen from their kingdom.

On top of the story telling, i've tried to incorperate little things that i thought would make the default battle a little more interesting, which probably isn't very interesting to mention until it's seen in the game.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic. I never played the original, but if you put as much work into the rest of the game as you did with the graphics, it'll be an incredible game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are among the best maptiles in OHR games. Looking very promising.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

I love the text box borders. I did a double-take, thinking for a second that I was not looking at an OHR game :)
djfenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
That looks fantastic. I never played the original, but if you put as much work into the rest of the game as you did with the graphics, it'll be an incredible game.

My story presentation usually isn't so good. But i've repeatedly reviewed the story and try to come up with something polished.

With the gameplay, I kinda modeled it after Darkmoore Dungeon with that type of strategic battle in mind. Leveling doesn't really help all too much (and thus, you could probably get away with avoiding enemies altogether), but battles are heavily dependant on how everybody's equipment it set up and how abilities are used. Of course, not so much in the beginning of the game, but i hope to get more strategic in future battles.

I hope to churn out more shots soon.
LongeBane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the graphical presentation a lot!
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djfenix wrote:
Moogle1 wrote:

My story presentation usually isn't so good. But i've repeatedly reviewed the story and try to come up with something polished.

With the gameplay, I kinda modeled it after Darkmoore Dungeon with that type of strategic battle in mind. Leveling doesn't really help all too much (and thus, you could probably get away with avoiding enemies altogether), but battles are heavily dependant on how everybody's equipment it set up and how abilities are used. Of course, not so much in the beginning of the game, but i hope to get more strategic in future battles.

I hope to churn out more shots soon.

This sounds really cool.

I've said it before, but it's possible to make engaging battles that don't require a variety of abilities. Consider having the first boss battle rely more on timing and target.

As an example, FFIV and FFVI both have starting bosses (Mist Dragon and Whelk) of this type. Chrono Trigger does something similar with the Dragon Tank, though I think that was the second boss.

It's not a bad idea to ease the player into all of the abilities he'll eventually acquire, but you don't have to make the game boring in the meantime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: