Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Yo Ghost
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you miss Yo Ghost?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
no
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

DragonBlood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he did, to some degree, intend for it to be funny. That degree ends(-ed)
at the word "yo ghost". Unless you consider his attempt at giving his characters personality funny.

Whether or not Fyroa decides to make a joke out of his game, he will release it. And as it will probably have a lesser impact on newbies, if it is taken seriously. that would allow for greater games, like Vikings of Midgard, to lead in example. And if his game still continues to get attention, it would still set a far better example if it proved to have had effort put into it, then if he tossed it around to make a joke out of it.

And, his decision to stand ignorant to the review offered doesn't mean you should give up on offering him constructive criticism. Maybe, he doesn't know how to do most of the things suggested, or, he's never even read the review.

At first, he DID intend for his game to be funny, and nothing more. But, seeing as it was the first Ohr game he made, that was actually playable, he decided to takei t seriously.

If, any of that explains why he took an idea as stupid as ghosts that scream "Yo" seriously.
LongeBane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know what to say now. My mouth trembles every time it utters something like... yo
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonBlood wrote:
Unless you consider his attempt at giving his characters personality funny.

Goddammit, you had better not be implying that a comedy can't give its characters personality. I'd also like to point out that if not a majority then at least a large number of the games considered "classic" around here were always comedic. Wandering Hamster? Powerstick Man? Lolsidothaldremobine?

I'm pretty sick of the attitude that a game can't be good unless it's boring. Fyroa could make some cliché serious high fantasy borefest and fade into obscurity like the countless droves that've come before him, or he could make a game with character, something people enjoy, and be remembered fondly for as long as the game is available. Which is really better?

Besides, he said he's still working on the other one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncommon wrote:
DragonBlood wrote:
Unless you consider his attempt at giving his characters personality funny.

Goddammit, you had better not be implying that a comedy can't give its characters personality. I'd also like to point out that if not a majority then at least a large number of the games considered "classic" around here were always comedic. Wandering Hamster? Powerstick Man? Lolsidothaldremobine?

I think DB was emphasizing "his attempt" at making funny personalities.
In that, they weren't very funny without being taken out of the proper context.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even so, the guy's still advocating Fyroa give up comedy to make serious games, which isn't something I can get behind. I say let him learn his footing first, or we'll just get something boring (we might get something boring either way, but give the kid a chance at least).

If "his attempt" at personalities was so sad, wouldn't it just be worse in a dramatic context?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncommon wrote:
Even so, the guy's still advocating Fyroa give up comedy to make serious games, which isn't something I can get behind. I say let him learn his footing first, or we'll just get something boring (we might get something boring either way, but give the kid a chance at least).

If "his attempt" at personalities was so sad, wouldn't it just be worse in a dramatic context?

The way I read it was that Blood wanted Fyroa to take game-making seriously (You can put serious effort into a funny game, right?).
I think that I can stand behind that.

I would much rather see someone trying put some honest effort into a TGC entry than someone shoddily putting together anything else.

Quote:
Seriously, though.. at first, you seemed as if you wanted to make a game, - a serious one.

Now, you seem to be wanting to make a joke out of it... most likely because of the loads of attention presented to you by Longebane and Surlaw.

On second thought, it seems like everybody is getting confused.
Lord Fyroa
Behold...the mighty Triforce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Ghost is still a serious game, yes it may seen like a comedy but the base of the game is serious.
DragonBlood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was indeed implying that Fyroa should take making his game seriously, not that he should leave it void of anything comical.
Lord Fyroa
Behold...the mighty Triforce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do attempt to throw comical stuff in my game.
LongeBane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be the local comedian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: