Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

ATTN: Virus in Blob's Tale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: ATTN: Virus in Blob's Tale Reply with quote

See Calehay's posts in http://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7988, or just know that you should not download this game. Admins, please remove it ASAP. If you've already downloaded the game, you should run a thorough virus check.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh dangit.

Better check my computer...

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, blobtale.exe (The namesake of the game) is the virus. The .msi also installs Blob Story.exe and Blob Story.rpg, which is the game.exe and an actual .rpg file. Those two are safe to use, but as the name of the game is supposed to be "Blob Tale," and the name sake of the virus file is such, one can only assume what KnightAdmin's intentions were.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calehay wrote:
To clarify, blobtale.exe (The namesake of the game) is the virus. The .msi also installs Blob Story.exe and Blob Story.rpg, which is the game.exe and an actual .rpg file. Those two are safe to use, but as the name of the game is supposed to be "Blob Tale," and the name sake of the virus file is such, one can only assume what KnightAdmin's intentions were.

Can I ask what virus scanner you used? I've moved the file so you cannot download it from the gamelist, but had some inconsistency when verifying the presence of a virus.

ClamAV identified 922/922.zip: Trojan.Delf-624 FOUND, however neither Norton nor McAfee (latest versions, fully updated) identified the file as a threat. I have a feeling it is a false positive as a result of the MSI creation program used by KnightAdmin. I highly doubt KnightAdmin was maliciously attempting to distribute a virus.

In any case, I'll look into having ClamAV scan every file uploaded prior to adding it to the game list. Thanks for the warning.

~IM
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inferior Minion wrote:
Calehay wrote:

Can I ask what virus scanner you used? I've moved the file so you cannot download it from the gamelist, but had some inconsistency when verifying the presence of a virus.

I used Avira Antivir, Free Version.

http://www.free-av.com/
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calehay wrote:
Inferior Minion wrote:
Calehay wrote:

I used Avira Antivir, Free Version.

http://www.free-av.com/

OK, I actually ran the MSI and both Norton and McAffee identified the same virus. I guess neither program is as smart as ClamAV when it comes to scanning the MSI contents prior to extraction.

Given that I have the fully extracted contents minus the virus, I could create a proper .zip file for download. As Calehay pointed out, though, the actual contents of this game are quite sparse.

Thanks again,

~IM

Edit: Should have read the Slime Salad thread prior to my initial post. After looking at the actual contents of the game, I agree with Calehay's assessment regarding the creator's intention.
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned in my thread that he was in IRC. He appears as Anonymous at the end of this log, and I don't know if there's any information that can be gleaned from that. http://castleparadox.com/logs/castleparadox/2008-09-08.log

(Warning: Typical IRC antics involved. It's the Wild West in there. Look at your own risk)

In hindsight, it seems like a pretty obvious trap. Do I need to install an antivirus program, or do you think Spybot Search and Destroy would take care of it?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed it from the monthly mirror. I'm also adding automated scanning to the mirror script.

I do notice that ClamAV identifies "The Crystal Globe" as containing Trojan.Agent-55637 ... but that zip file contains only a text file and an rpg, no executable at all, so I kinda suspect a false positive.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does, I have no knowledge of it.
Maybe that virus program is interpreting .rpg files as a virus of some sort? That would be something worth checking out.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there an issue a few years ago with Sword of Jade rpg files registering a false positive?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there was an issue with Sword of Jade registering a correct positive. Sad...
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-scanned the Crystal Globe again today on the same machine, and it came up clean. I am pretty sure that it was a false positive caused by a bad over-general signature, which was removed since then.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
No, there was an issue with Sword of Jade registering a correct positive. Sad...

A virus that didn't exist in the wild until 2 months after we released the game in fact
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a clever child. Unfortunate that everyone here is so computer savvy.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My antivirus scanner is claiming that the zip file for Crescent Dream (which contains an exe installer) is infected by Trojan.Banker-151

I have a feeling this is a false positive, but I would appreciate it if somebody else could check with another virus scanner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: