Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe is intentional and young woman has funny accent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
Neutral

Neutral ?
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a problem when the dimensions of a text box get too small.

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drizzle wrote:
I've noticed a problem when the dimensions of a text box get too small.

Let's see, that is in the equip screen, right? *goes to fix* Try tonight's nightly, and let me know if you find anymore. Basically the problem is that depending on how you draw your borders, there may be some crappy-looking box sizes in the range of 0-15 and 17-31. 16 is the only small border size that can be trusted to always line up, so small boxes like those headers in the equip menu need to be readjusted to 16 pixels high (they were 20 previously)
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
*Laugh* that is awesome! Okay, you have pushed me over the brink. I am making real text box portraits a release goal for Xocolatl. I think I have cleaned up the text box related code that it won't be too hard to do now.

..hmm..
http://lists.motherhamster.org/pipermail/ohrrpgce-motherhamster.org/2008-September/008051.html
..err,somewhat. Oookay...

Thank you very much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROBLEM

This happens when I move the image around with the CAPS and arrow keys.

Also, creating a new graphic will cut the picture above (the correctly colored one) in half (on the right side).

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Laugh* That is a great portrait :)

So I found the problem. I had a couple numbers transposed, so it was overlapping the sprite data on the screen page. I gotta rewrite it to not use screen pages at all, but for now the problem is fixed. Try tonight's nightly builds.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that this feature is available (the hero portrait thing), i do believe that the arbitrary sprite drawing should follow; so that the hero portrait (or any graphics) can be displayed anywhere in the screen using custom or plotscripting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But this brings up an interesting point I'd like to address. The majority of spelling errors come not from my mistake, but from what appears to be the OHR's inability to process my typing correctly. Word processors and such pick up my keystrokes fine, but often times when typing faster, the OHR will skp lettrs and mak me end up havng a bunh of annying typos tht mak me lok bad. :/

The text editor could use some improvements to begin with like being able to move the words to the next line automatically, a spell checker and the ability to paste a text copied from a text file outside the OHRRPGCE (or something similar). Also some way to edit the format of various / all text boxes at once.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several People wrote:
Various issues related to typing.

I agree the typing processing speed could be increased--a lot--though I think the current speed encourages proofreading, which seems to go unheeded in some games.

I wholeheartedly support a text import feature, as that would make keeping a master document of dialogue more easily accessible (not to mention the pain and time devoted to transcribing At the Risk of Manipulation's dialogue from a 26-page document to mere boxes a lot less painful and time consuming).

A spellchecker seems like vanity, though. I don't think James or the other developers would have the time to implement a lexicon of 20,000 words or more just to give people a chance to let their dictionaries collect dust. Plus, we come back to the proofreading issue here.

Character portraits seems like a great feature. If it can be attached to text boxes, I might use it to identify key NPCs, which as of now they seem to blend in with everyone else.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camdog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
A spellchecker seems like vanity, though. I don't think James or the other developers would have the time to implement a lexicon of 20,000 words or more just to give people a chance to let their dictionaries collect dust. Plus, we come back to the proofreading issue here.

There are plenty of dictionary files floating around the web. The time spent implementing this feature would be coding, not putting together a word collection. And frankly, I think it would be a great addition.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
Now that this feature is available (the hero portrait thing), i do believe that the arbitrary sprite drawing should follow; so that the hero portrait (or any graphics) can be displayed anywhere in the screen using custom or plotscripting.

I have to resolve some layering issues before that can happen. Currently we have menus which can be rearranged to different depths. Should sprites draw over menus? or should they draw under menus? What if they should go under one menu but below another? What about strings? Should they go under or over? in between?

I need to design a system of controlling the layering of all possible floating things (menus, sprites, boxes, strings) so that we don't end up with three or four different incompatible layering systems that can't be merged without breaking existing plotscripts.

As for text boxes, yes, i definitely want to have an import/export to plain text feature. Then you will be able to export to a text file, spellcheck in your favorite editor, and then import back in.

Export will be extremely easy, but I want to think about the format so that we can have sensible IMPORT too.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
Several People wrote:
Various issues related to typing.

I agree the typing processing speed could be increased--a lot--though I think the current speed encourages proofreading, which seems to go unheeded in some games.

No, it does not encourage proofreading. It causes typing up text to be much more annoying, because the error made is right there and you have to stop, pause, delete delete delete delete or arrow arrow arrow arrow back to the word, fix, and then go back.

I proofread anyway, and I do this with playtesting, and when I go back to reread dialogue for errors and fixes, but not while I'm currently typing and I know I spelt 'Superfluous', and then immediately seeing it got typed as 'Suprfluous'.

EDIT: I'm against a spellcheck feature. Kinda going with Pepsi on this one.

Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could paste my text from a Word-Document into the OHRRPGCE a spell checker wouldn't be needed actually. Whatever is easier to implement. :p
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: