Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

48 Hour voting:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: 48 Hour voting: Reply with quote

I see little point in this. Only two entries, but nevertheless, vote for your favourite:

The Dark Dungeon by Twin Hamster
http://castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=834

Jimmy's Vacation by SDHawk and Sew
www.stellarx.org/sdhawk/jimmy.zip

PM me, or post vote here. Voting ends friday night.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I guess I should have tried to throw something together for this. Then again, both entries are so cool that mine would have been nothing compared to them.

It's a hard decision for me. I'll PM you what I decide.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These games are AWESOME.
Dark dungeon made me laugh so hard, I decided to draw some fan art of what happened to me in the game. Don't worry, I tried not to give away any spoilers...

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really a toug moral quandary. Do I vote for Darkness, with it's great dialogue, and the fact that I won, seemingly at random?

Or do I vote for Jimmy, with the delicious voice acting of Hachi-Roku, my BFBF? Not to mention the plot, which i was unable to detect or advance to any effect at all?

Sorry, Hachi. I know it might put a dark cloud over our trip to Paris, but I'm gonna give this vote to Darkness/
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. It's a tough choice.
Jimmy had graphics and some butt kicking animations, albeit he looked like a walking Penis (heh). Dark Dungeon had slightly more content (all of it text), but it was visually stunted, shall we say. I love D'n'D, though.

I'm probably going to go with Dungeon, but only because it didn't just stop abruptly at a locked door and it really played with my imagination.
+ vote for Dark Dungeon OHR.
An honorable mention goes out to Jimmy. I loved how after taking a bath I get to make the house all wet and the video game cheats were great info. (No spoilers, sorry). I just wish it was longer. I guess you can say it's a good thing to make your audience want more. Ha ha ha!

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SDHawk
Silent One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeRoy_Leo wrote:

I'm probably going to go with Dungeon, but only because it didn't just stop abruptly at a locked door and it really played with my imagination.

:| sounds like you missed the secret area, we were worried no one would get it because it's pretty obscure. Little teaser below, but if no one finds it in a few days we'll reveal how to get there.

LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I'll keep searching for it. XD

---msw188 ---
Charbile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master.

We are in a tight spot!

Voting for Jimmy's Vacation. My BFF Hachi's voice acting is hot! Whoaaaaoaaaaoooooooooa! Turbo gamer. The fanfic (I think?) reading was hilarious.

SDHawk, who I assume scripted it all, was neat. Now I finally have that game where I can move lamps. I have issue with Sew though. SEW

In the name of Harman...
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a tasty buffet (in spite of the extremely limit selection!)

I really loved the look and feel of Jimmy. I did not figure out how to do anything other than walk around Jimmy's house and use/move things, but I thought it was very cool. I would be delighted to see a larger game using this interface-- so much so, that you now have me thinking about what kind of engine features could be added to make this sort of engine interface easier with less scripting required.

If I had any suggestion it would be to try and take advantage of the feature that remembers NPC locations and tileset modifications to make the things that jimmy moves and manipulates persist even when he leaves the room.

Dark Dungeon made me laugh out loud, and that is not just because I was drunk when I played it (I think...) I give you points for replay value. As soon as I beat it, I immediately played all the way through again. Great parody of the text adventure genre.

If I had any suggestion, it would just be to add more, more, more.
An inventory of collected items might be cool too.
Chenzi
User was banned for this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slap a vote down for Jimmy for me, will you? Sew is my seekrit lover.
SDHawk
Silent One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:

If I had any suggestion it would be to try and take advantage of the feature that remembers NPC locations and tileset modifications to make the things that jimmy moves and manipulates persist even when he leaves the room.

That was actually the original plan (and even had carrying NPCs between rooms), but for whatever reason we couldn't get the state saving stuff to work right and didn't have enough time to dedicate to tinkering with it. I don't think it was a bug, probably just didn't figure out how to use the commands properly.

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDHawk wrote:
That was actually the original plan (and even had carrying NPCs between rooms), but for whatever reason we couldn't get the state saving stuff to work right and didn't have enough time to dedicate to tinkering with it. I don't think it was a bug, probably just didn't figure out how to use the commands properly.

There could certainly be some bugs lurking in the state-saving. If you pursue that feature later, do let me know how it works out. If there are any bugs there, I am eager to squash them.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't found the secret area. I'll check the Bathroom again! Smokin'

---msw188 ---
djfenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last day for voting
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for me, because with the current flow of votes, this will tie the score.

Making Meatballsub's secret vote the tie-breaker.

Of course, Hawk and Sew could easily double-vote on their entry, but I think it'd be cooler if they let my idea work :(

Quote:
If I had any suggestion, it would just be to add more, more, more.
An inventory of collected items might be cool too.

I might decide to add more content in the future, and I definitely thought that I was going to have equipment slots show up on the screen. Whoops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: