Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Man you guys are good.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awful Waffle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Man you guys are good. Reply with quote

I've been checking out the games that everyone makes, and on average they are very very good! Do most people just make a game by themselves like I am because if these games I've seen are made by one person its even more incredible! Seriously its almost depressing me looking at the quality of some aspects of games compared to mine, although I may be looking at the best of the best and being to hard on myself but there is a lot of the best then. Lol, I'm still going to complete my first game but I bet the reviews I get will not be very good at all, then again its only my first game so I've got lots of trial/error to go through (plus I can't understand them damn if/do/else/etc plotscript commands!)

I bet that OHR wasn't even meant for the quality of some games I've seen, good job everyone.
Sir_Phoenix_Drake
Creator of Realmsoft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chin up, man! Game making is a learning process. You have to begin somewhere, and build from there. It will take time, but you can do it.

Realmsoft's first project was a game that Setu made (back when he was Sir Lionheart) that I did the "programming" for (I use these marks because back then I didn't understand plotscripting myself). It was called "The Fifth Age".
I can only assume Setu didn't put it on the gamelist in his shame Ha ha ha! , but you can see it at:

http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/realmsoft/games/index.html

And look under "The Fifth Age"
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the review, Waffle, as long as Chaos Nyte doesn't do it. You can see his review of MY first game at the old Operation: OHR site. (Shivers)

But then, it really was that bad. (Shivers anyway)
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOO!!!!111!!!!11!!

Not 5th Age! Not 5th Age! OHHH, my reputations ruined!!! Crying

...........just kidding Raspberry!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Eggie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of the games on the Game List are really bad, unless they are some lazy ass last attempt to show off your lazyness.
Xerian
The one and only in all

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people have told me some of this before and I've told lots of people to this also.

Awful Waffle, if you want to get better, you can't complain and you have to PRACTICE. Aside from practicing you also have to study other great games and learn from it and see how they did their work and learn from that. Don't expect to make a good first game. It should be expected to be from suck to mediocre, sometimes maybe good but you should only aim for your first game as a practice. You'll have to have persistance and you can't give up easily. Just keep practicing and you'll get good at it.
Awful Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: thanks for the advise Reply with quote

Thanks Xerian, a lot of what your saying is true with what i'm doing already. Yeah i'm pretty sure my first game is gonna be in the area of... high quality crap but i'm having fun making it so I won't mind anybody trashing it. Oh BTW, i wasn't complaining, I was just saying my game looks ugly in perspective with what i've seen, but yeah I'm sure i'll get so much better.
Xerian
The one and only in all

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are a really skilled professional or someone who is very good at learning through all sorts of experiences, it could take you years to get to a level that satisfies you. I don't know how long you've been at it but I would say a year is not enough for you to be at satisfactory levels with yourself. I'll share my "semi-success" story as it may come in handy.

I created many games based on myself. None ever completed and they were all very short and not what you'd say fun (although at times I find some very enjoyable inside jokes), but it's what made me better today. In each game, I attempted to get better with graphics and story and things like that. Better a little bit in every area (music being exception). Then I came across making Xerian which sucked. I suppose you know Chaos Nyte? I must say that if it wasn't for him then I probably never would've gotten much better. He basically pounded my game but it was a GOOD thing because through all the critical points I learned anew and that's when I got better. Whee! Heh heh, so remember, Chaos Nytes may actually be good for you unlike some of the misleading brands. Oh, toying around with good games helps too.

Oh I want to point out you should talk about people trashing your game and high quality crap. I'm assuming that you're going to create a finished game and release it to the public for criticism. Remember to take your constructive criticism and put it into great thought on constructing your next game. I recommend making just "demos" and having those checked out and picking up tips from others through it. Sometimes keeping a consistant story with all the games is ok but when you are ready to make your nice one it may be a good idea to put something new and fresh, but using an old concept properly with unique features help too. But it's all up to you. I hope I can back up everything I say to you very soon so stay tuned and sorry if I said too much. Smokin'
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of my story is similar to yours, Xerian, with the part of games getting better with every newer game. I never had to go through cricticism or anything of that sort because I hadn't discovered online forums at the time. All of my first games which I wished had made it to the gamelist were wiped out when a virus hit my computer, forcing me to buy a new one. So really my first big one, Blackened is an attempt to make a name for myself in the forums. I've always worked solo, I like it better that way.
But really, working with the OHR isn't hard once you learn who to use it. I'm sure you could do it.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whatever you do DONT DO WHAT I DID and keep fixing stuff until you are so sick of it you never release it. I got all obsessed that it had to be perfect until finally I'd burn out. Make your game and have fun. Don't stress about what other people think.
Flamer
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, shadowiii... i just finished going through that process and just started a fresh game about a week ago
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Part of my story is similar to yours, Xerian, with the part of games getting better with every newer game.

Not to be critical, but that's why we need to start with original plot concepts. Personally, I will be looking for your games when you upload them. I still do wish to see how they turn out.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: