Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

The value of effort
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your identity? Lets be entirely honest, if your identity was really that awesome, you'd have your own team of game designers, unless your an OHR hero, in which case the above commen can be ignored.

(wouldn't this suck if this turned out to be someone I actually really admire?)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-F, sorry for the topic derail. Hopefully, we're just about done here.

Fyre, what Iblis said. I can produce a better game than another person who expends the same amount of effort. Conversely, if Fenrir and I both expend the same effort on a walkabout, his will still look better.

For an example of an almost completely effortless game that I personally enjoyed, see Giz's It's Dark in Here, which consists of a walkabout and a textbox. Granted, that's only questionably a game, but it's case in point that effort does not equal quality.

SoJ is an excellent example of a game that is good because of the effort put into it. It is not, however, proof alone that effort makes quality. Causality, generalization, logical fallacies! These are very poorly constructed arguments.

To conclude -- and hopefully lay this argument to rest -- it takes some combination of effort, skill, and inspiration to make a good game. None of these is essential; some of the best OHR games can be attributed more to inspiration than anything else.

Agh, this should be much better written than it is. It's 4 AM and I should be sleeping. Anyway, let's let F-F have his thread back, mm?
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to find a word other than "effort". Yeah, you could make a better game than someone completely new to the engine with equal time. That's called experience.

And F-F, you're already ripping by using Sonic in the first place. Nobody cares who you really are. This community was already destroyed by people that cared about status or names; it's not like any more damage can be done at this point. It's also been destroyed by joke games with no effort, skill, or experience put into them, but people are so avante garde these days they hail them as "works of art".
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyre, you're basically saying that your argument works except for what it is you're defending. Also, you're smoking crack, because I can't think of a single joke game that was hailed as a work of art. The closest anything's come to that is Thanksgiving Quest, which was a darn good game.
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of the admins should split this off into it's own thread, because it's a damn good discussion.

Also, I don't think it's experience, as some of the best joke games have used almost none of the OHR's capability whatsoever. Fyre's right though, effort isn't what we're talking here. Closest thing to what we're talking about is polish, and even that doesn't seem to fit.

But, for my theory as to why a 2 minute joke game that took an hour and a half to make can be better than a 20 hour epic that took 6 years, I'd have to say it's because in that 20 hour epic, there's more things that can go wrong. In the 2 minute game, the conception of the idea, the designing and molding of the idea into a game, and the final refinements and completion of that game are all taking place in a very short period of time.
The idea involved is undoubtably a good one, and the author is never given enough time to think and doubt about the greatness thereof. By the time the designer might be doubting whether or not it's a good idea, he's already released it.

That goes for the game itself as well. It quickly expresses itself, and when the idea is worn out, the game is over. The player isn't given a long time to reflect on it, or a lot of plot points to muddle the water.

Compare that to a longer game: There are many more scenes, any one of which that doesn't quite connect to the audience could seriously damage the whole of the work. If the music is annoying, even in just one scene, the player might turn off their speakers, ruining the dramatic atmosphere of the rest of the game. Not to mention if the graphics, story, or gameplay falter, the player might lose interest altogether.

What's more, the author of a long game has to keep himself convinced that what he's making, and what he's already made are good. I bet a lot of jokes you heard and enjoyed when you were a kid aren't quite as funny now. The novelty's worn off, and you probably won't enjoy it as much until you've forgotten about it for awhile. (With some exceptions. There's some jokes that will ALWAYS be funny, no matter how many times you hear them.)

That's what happens to a lot of game designers when they're making a long game. The characters and places that used to be wondrous no longer seem so great. So, they might go back and retool things that don't really need retooling. Not only does that increase the amount of time it takes to make the game, and run the risk of ruining the soup, that constant returning to, and revision of old ground can make the author lose interest in the progress altogether. (I love Resident Evil, but almost never play it anymore, because I'm tired of the first 30 minutes. I think it's the same concept.)

I don't think that it's impossible for a long game to be entertaining and engrossing, I just think that for the amount of time it takes to make one, you could make 30 or 40 short "joke" games that are just as interesting and rewarding to play, only saving the time and wear on yourself, and by it being shorter, more people are going to have the time to play it, and replay it, and fully savor it.

Let's take a look at the 20 Top Rated Games:

Trailblazers
OHR House 2
Sword of Jade 2
Thanksgiving Quest
Fantasy Under a Blue Moon X v.4
Put on Shoes Limited Edition Boxset
Bug On The Wall
Mr. T's Fantastic Adventure!
Lolsidothremalobine
Time Stream Saga Second Edition

Well, the gamelist is being weird, but that's the top 10. Notice, that out of that 10, 5 are joke games, 4 are standard RPGs, and 1 doesn't really fit into either category. (Although Strangely enough, none of the top 10 downloaded games are in the top 10 ranked games.)

The serious games have taken significantly longer to make, and yet, don't have a significantly higher rating, or download count.

I'm not going to say that every game should be completely foolish, but I think that a series of shorter (3-4 hour) serious games would have equal or greater impact than one long (20-50 hour) serious game, and would be a lot easier on the designers, as well as the players.
Camdog

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom-Fighter wrote:
"Scare?” Excuse me, but I'm not trying to scare anyone. If you think that's scary then you must be easily intimidated.

Perhaps you misunderstand the expression. "Scare up" here is synonymous with "Rustle up," as in: "Start the fire, ma! I'm going to go scare us up some grub!"

Freedom-Fighter wrote:
I'm not posting anymore details; at this point the kind of game should be obvious. I have supplied only enough information in this post to find the kind of person I'm looking for. If I don't happen to get a response, then that kind of person must not exist in this forum, and therefore I will move on. This Forum is not life, it's only communication, and you would do well to remember that.

What the fuck are you talking about? I was just pointing out the you probably won't have much luck finding volunteers to work on a game they know nothing about. Just some friendly advice, pal.

Incidently, acting like an asshole in response to a couple of innocuous comments is a really good way to scare away any potential help, and yes, I do mean it in the "frighten" sense this time.

Gizmog wrote:
I'm not going to say that every game should be completely foolish, but I think that a series of shorter (3-4 hour) serious games would have equal or greater impact than one long (20-50 hour) serious game, and would be a lot easier on the designers, as well as the players.

Hear hear! The reason 90% of the games posted on here suck is because everyone wants to make the next Final Fantasy. That's just not going to happen. Even FF1 had a huge team of people working on it. We need to realize that, as amateur game developers, we should be looking at game design in a different way than big time studios.

As a side note, can we all please stop running around screaming that the community is dead? CP gets 25-50 new posts a day, the top downloaded games get 10-20 hits a week, and there's active development going on for the OHR. Sure, we aren't a huge community, but if we all proclaim the death of the OHR, we aren't going to be able to get new people interested in it to grow the community.
Zypher

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to agree, disagree, or even comment on this. But I do have to say one thing; I agree with Giz on splitting this into a seperate topic. FF already declined from this arguement further more. So please either split it up into another topic, or just stop posting if you're not going to offer you're help. Thank you.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:
As a side note, can we all please stop running around screaming that the community is dead? CP gets 25-50 new posts a day, the top downloaded games get 10-20 hits a week, and there's active development going on for the OHR. Sure, we aren't a huge community, but if we all proclaim the death of the OHR, we aren't going to be able to get new people interested in it to grow the community.

I agree, it's hardly dead, but scaremongering is only going to damage the communtiy. I hope that it should liven up if the engine gets some serious upgrades.

Gizmog1 wrote:
The serious games have taken significantly longer to make, and yet, don't have a significantly higher rating, or download count.

You have to ignore the ratings, obviously people don't hand out ratings relative to all other OHR games, but on some twisted personal criteria for that genre. As for download count, I dispute that, it's hard to see what's happening what with 80% of the gamelist spammed by robots, and many of the greatest games are pretty old and haven't recieved much attention on CP.

Sure, I can enjoy joke games, but I think that most of them are just as unmemorable as a thick swath of serious ones. I personally won't value them on anywhere near the same magnitude as long serious games which get me hooked.

I mean serious in the sense of attempting to be a good game, rather than joke games which attempt to survive on humour alone without much or any "game". Thanksgiving Quest I always counted as serious in the sense that it was a serious attempt at a good game. It wins both ways.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be pessimistic, but posts aren't a great benchmark for liveness and 10-20 downloads per week is kind of low. The real argument for the deadness of the engine arises from the fact that, even during a contest for how many games you can put out, we can't get more than two new games a week. Anyone who's been around long enough will acknowledge at least that the community is in a slump.

Quote:
I mean serious in the sense of attempting to be a good game, rather than joke games which attempt to survive on humour alone without much or any "game".

This is probably the best definition of "joke game" I've read. Dark in Here is the perfect example of a joke game because it is only questionably a game at all. Ditto Zoidberg! A Musical for the same reason, but not TQ or SCHMP. Some have gone so far as to call OHR House a joke game, but it takes itself seriously.
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
Not to be pessimistic, but posts aren't a great benchmark for liveness and 10-20 downloads per week is kind of low. The real argument for the deadness of the engine arises from the fact that, even during a contest for how many games you can put out, we can't get more than two new games a week. Anyone who's been around long enough will acknowledge at least that the community is in a slump.

Actually, I've got two hidden links that calculate daily and hourly downloads for the entire site, similar to the hourly and weekly stats found for each game.

Hourly: http://www.castleparadox.com/?r=10
Daily: http://www.castleparadox.com/?r=11

This weeks download count is a little over 207. Any good robot (one that reads robots.txt) won't get counted in the download count. The download counter also checks IPs and watches for multiple hits, ignoring multiple hits within a 24 hour period. I've been meaning to do a box-office type chart where you can see a listing of all downloaded games, their downlooad counts, weekly change, and all that jazz.

~IM

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on download rates:

This site has an average download rate of games. People choose games of what they want to see. Joke-games are downloaded, but not mostly over other ones. But some people call games joke-games, that aren't. I mean I even heard some call BLB a joke game, and sadly, it is not. Giz's games are joke-games, but not all of them.

Then there are other games like OHR House. OHR House is a serious reality show-like game for entertainment and player involvement. These games are to be taken seriously, and if they are downloaded more then others, it's because they are simply superior.

My opinion on upload rates:

But I also mostly seen that upload rate hasn't been good lately. I really think the admins should put together a group project for newbs, sort of like Fenrir's Welcome.RPG. Maybe this and a little motivation will get people to upload some more games. I for one am glad we are not like some communities and/or game sites that upload very few games literally every two years.
*cough* Gamingw.net *cough*

I agree with Moogle, that people only upload games when there’s a contest. Contests usually motivate people to work on their games prior to anything else. I haven't done much in the games compartment to even argue that statement, but I will be adding more games. Hopefully one this year Oookay.... I cannot promise Rogue Knights being out soon, but I will try for some other things. But one more thing I do have to say; GET WORKING ON GAMES PEOPLE!!
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Zypher

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHC wrote:
Zypher wrote:
Then there are other games like OHR House. OHR House is a serious reality show-like game for entertainment and player involvement. These games are to be taken seriously, and if they are downloaded more then others, it's because they are simply superior.

I don't really think you were supposed to take OHR House seriously. It's a comedy movie, which doesn't equal "joke game," and doesn't even equal "game" either. It got tons of downloads because 1: it features community members 2: it was made by a reputable author 3: it had a long running thread about it.

I made Summertime Surlaw to prove that even the worst garbage can get decent downloads if you promote it right. The quality of the product is not the main factor in getting downloads. Super Mario Brothers is probably Moogle1's worst game, and it's also his most downloaded. Likewise, I've released some horrible shit that's been downloaded far more than my good games.

Quote:
I agree with Moogle, that people only upload games when there’s a contest.

Actually Moogle meant that the community is obviously in a slump because even though there's a contest going on there are barely any new games, which is contrary to how it's been through the site's entire history.

I guess theres much I cannot say to disagree with you there.
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:

I dunno, I think posts are a good benchmark for liveness. Who posts other than people interested in the OHR? However, I do think you're right when you say we're in a bit of a slump, I just feel like people saying the community is dead is a great way to chase people out of the community and keep us in said slump. Besides, it's a great time for the OHR right now! There's tons of good coders working on it, giving us new features, and even porting it to Windows! I think that's going to inject a lot more liveness in the community soon now.

As far as the game contest goes, I wouldn't be surprised if you see an upswing in entries soon. I'm working on a few things that aren't done yet, and I'm kind of planning my release schedule around the deadline. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few others doing the same thing.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zypher wrote:
I mean I even heard some call BLB a joke game, and sadly, it is not.

As an aside, the long-term goal of BLB is to develop it enough to sell it at Anthrocon and FC at a future date. This itself is a daunting task seeing as a good portion of its target population have little money to begin with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: