Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Personification contest concept

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should this contest be held?
Yes, definatly
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe, I'll have to see the rules first
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
probably not, remember the 'Miss Pixel' contest?
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
No, forget it
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
~lelelelele?~
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Fernurion
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Personification contest concept Reply with quote

We have had contests that judge specific talents in OHRers, ranging from art to scripitng. One contest we have not had yet is one that exclusivly tests the ability of people to create a character. Other contests have touched on it, but as of yet none focus on the ability to create a character only. I propose this;

I will host a contest designed to test peoples talent in creating original, interesting characters. The entries will not require any drawing, however entrants can submit a picture if they wish. Each entry must have details about the characters physiscal description, history, Weapon of choice (if applicable), personal likes, dislikes and grudges, details of the characters purpose (their quest, if you will) and personality. Naturally, the more detailed, the better.

I'm only tossing ideas around at the moment. If I decide to go ahead with this, it will probably be after the Epic contest. Rules will be set about a week before the contest starts. I doubt there will be prize other than bragging rights.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the idea?
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrible idea. Just because you write a lot of detailed junk about a character doesn't mean you're creating an engaging person. Your "contest" is akin to filling out a DnD character sheet...but you don't see a great character until you see his/her actions.

If you created a base RPG file and then challenged the contestants to create a story with a focus on engaging, memorable characters, I'd be interested. As it is, there's no point in entering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with his honor CN more about creating a story with a focus on "engaging, memorable characters" opposed to just creating a character and their "likes, dislikes". Though, it wouldn't be too hard to put a short 'snippit' of the character's fate/future events + actions in his/her description. Also, isn't the HISTORY part sort of a story in it's self? Please hit me if I'm wrong, CN.

PS: We could use another topic in Story time, folkies. Happy

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, short story snippet. Well that sounds like it'd be MUCH more engaging and memorable then a short game. Come on Leroy, history? "My character, Billy X, fought in the big war of 1202, and beat up trolls", is hella lame. Yes, you could get way more descriptive, but I still wouldn't care about your character.
Ysoft_Entertainment
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
probably not, remember the 'Miss Pixel' contest?

Glad I made an impression. A bad one but still an impression.

As for personification contest, I see no reason not to hold it.
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might enter, it depends since theres so many contests. and if it dosn't turn out to be my best game yet in one of those catigories then ill probably end it there.
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaos Nyte wrote:
Ooo, short story snippet. Well that sounds like it'd be MUCH more engaging and memorable then a short game. Come on Leroy, history? "My character, Billy X, fought in the big war of 1202, and beat up trolls", is hella lame. Yes, you could get way more descriptive, but I still wouldn't care about your character.

Ok. But isn't any story technically history? By the time a tale has been said, it had happened, right? I mean, it's being said because it happened. Oh well, lets not get into that. I will respect your oppinion. You don't like it. Point taken. But I think this contest has a place on this forum. It is unique, after all. No? o.o

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
Fernurion
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your posts. Originally, it was going to be 'make a character that will capture the interests of those who are voting'. I realise now that that, on its own, won't work at all. A lot of interest for a character comes from how they tie into the story. Things such as the way they affect the flow of the story, their motives and a score of other things contribute to it. As a revision I'm now thinking of running something like this;

Apon the commencement of the competition, a small part of a story will be released. This could be anything from painfully generic to mind bendingly abstract. The story will have a plot and one character. These however will be plain and hollow, meaning in order to make it interesting, contestants must come up with characters that flesh out the story. The character can be anything, a bad guy, a hero, or a crazed lepper if you so wish. Emphasis will be on making the character seem like they belong in the story. Voters will decide which character they find the most interesting, original and/or developed.

I'm still refining the idea, so the contest won't be for a while (If I hold it at all). Ysoft, the lesson learned from Miss pixel was 'Don't rush into anything without thinking it though properly', thus this thread. Nothing against you.
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea a lot better, we still get to describe our characters in a way, but we actually get to show them in action. You'll find me entering when this starts.
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fernurion wrote:

The character can be anything, a bad guy, a hero, or a crazed lepper if you so wish.

My vote goes to the crazed lepper when he shows up.

---msw188 ---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: