Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Common Sense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHC, you misunderstand. If we're all equal, he can improve himself, and we improve likewise. This means that you and I can sit about, drinking kiwi daiquiris, smoking cigars, and fapping to hentai, whilst he improves himself, and thus raises the bar for us too. Cheers, Bean!

(Sorry for being a bit off topic)
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word better is subjective. I don't make myself better than others, I improve what qualities I see need improvement. Blame the innefficiency of language, but you misunderstood my meaning Happy

For example, I can call someone a bad member, but that doesn't mean I think them less worthy, or less than anyone else. It merely means it doesn't come naturally to them to be a good member.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, it's just not clicking in your head, so let's not argue over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to explain it, but you are annoying me now,so:
You can say one persons worth is equal to the next. It doesn't mean that they have equal skills or traits. So hurrah.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we want you to know is the golden rule. Treat others as you would have them treat you. If you want them to yell at you if you ever mess up a game, then do likewise, but expect the same treatment in return. That is equality.

And I think someone in this thread also said "treat others well on the way up, because they will be treating you the same way on the way down."
Treat others as you would have them treat you on the way up, because that is the way they will treat you on the way down.
And because no one's reign of power lasts forever, we all must treat eachother AS IF we were equals, whether we believe we are or not.

And that relates to what happened with CN, and Uncy. They might have let their status get to them and treated others as inferiors, but perhaps they get a second chance. If they start to go downhill, they may want to hope that higher ranked people show them mercy.

Now, let's see if we can come to a mutual ageement here. That's all for me. I will watch this thread now, and let whatever be be.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "

Last edited by LeRoy_Leo on Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Rinku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re komera defending me: thanks Big grin -- though a note: it's true that if a person treats their christianity (or any other flaw) as something that they recognize is not something to bring up in a positiive way, i have no problem with them. analogy: if someone is obese, or smokes and can't quit, and i argue about that with them out of the blue (or even bring up the subject), it would just make them feel bad. similarly, i don't argue w/ christians about christianity or bring up the topic out of nowhere. unless it's crucial to a topic at hand, i try to avoid pointing out to someone what's wrong with them, until they bring it up and ask for advice, and even then i warn them first. it's similar with your art criticism stuff: unless a person asks you for criticism on a work of art, you don't go and tell them everything that's wrong with it; it won't help them unless they want to fix the problems with their drawing ability. *especially* if they don't see their flaw as a problem. nothing's worse than trying to convince someone they're doing something wrong when they don't even see a problem with what they're doing. so, just because i don't talk to you (or moogle1) much about your dualism doesn't mean i don't think it's a problem -- it just means i treat it as if it's your personal problem, not something you're asking me to fix.

re human equality: i like fortis' analogy: we're all equal in 'variables' but not equal in the 'values' of those variables. i.e., we're all equal in having variables like 'intelligence', 'strength', 'charisma', and so forth, but not all equal in how high those stats actually are.

re tolerance: i'm tolerant of everyone who has firm opinions, even if i'm not tolerant of their particular opinions. i'm intolerant of anyone who, like some of the people above, claim that tolerance is a license for wishy-washy subjective thinking, and claim that no one should think or argue except in a vague, foggy, drunk way, and that things don't have to make sense. i.e. i'd take PHC over artimus bena and setu any day.
Fortis
don't make me come over there

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artimus Bena wrote:
>>>First of all, the "EVERYONE IS EQUAL" philosphy is a crutch for people who don't think they can or for some reason don't want to improve themselves.<<<

The above quote is a declaration, not an opinion Happy And so I will say, that you are wrong, because I myself hold this philosophy to be true, while knowing I can, and do try to improve myself on a constant basis. I believe in it because I'm an idealist, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Wait. What? That's your basis for diagreeing with me? Not that you think I'm WRONG, per se, but that my statement wasn't an opinion, so I'm wrong? If I was wishy-washy about it and said "gee dudes this is jsut what i think and its prolly worthless Raspberry! Raspberry!" would you have agreed with me? I can't be wrong, since you believe in subjectivity, anyway.

And way to ignore the second half, where I note that everyone may not have equal "stats" immediately but we all have equal "Stat growth potential". (thanks for that addition to the anology, rinku)
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artimus Bena wrote:
Dude, it's just not clicking in your head, so let's not argue over it.

This is the damn arrogance that got us here in the first place. Can't people act civilized? Half of the people on the site are in college or out of it. Or over 18, why can't you all act your age and just attempt to get along with everybody?
Fortis
don't make me come over there

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've heard this whole post is a lie, but I heard it from CN, so he could just be covering up... but I know what the problem is. Regardless of whether or not IM and CN are having a sissy slap fight over ownership of CP, there IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH CASTLE PARADOX.

Civility is not the issue here. The issue here is that a few guys can't manage a bunch of teenagers and college kids whose innate need to cause a ruckus is strengthened by the anonymity of the internet.

CN is a bad mod because he's antagonistic to way past a fault (not to mention that numerous times, he's revealed that he has always aspired to do exactly what I woudln't do when moderating), and the rest of the mods are probably too soft.

LOOK, it's NOT HARD, ok? If you can't handle running a General Discussion Board in addition to an OHR Forum in addition to an Art Forum in addition to (ad nauseum), either QUIT or TAKE IT DOWN TO LESS FORUMS.

CP is an OHR site, yet it has boards for too much shit. I think out of the forums here, OHRRPGCE Discussion and Review Wars, MAYBE the Soapbox should exist. Other than that, it's useless fluff, which is a pain in the ass to manage, and gee, leads to nonsense like this.

That's why I up and quit. Managing a community full of (not totally, but for the sake of argument) ungrateful punks becomes very tiresome, and it's even more taxing when you finally announce it's all gone to shit; and they immediately blame everyone but themselves. Civility? No. No, this is every last one of you being idiots. There are people LITERALLY acting like idiots, then there are people who WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, which is just as idiotic, if not worse.

CP was founded on the "everyone is equal" policy. I remember hearing that no one was going to be banned, back in 2002. Of course, that what Horrible PK-Fortis and his" Heroist Underlings" did, so we can't have that.

That was the ideal CP. Pretty much a pipe dream. It doesn't work, and the evidence is right here, in this disaster of a "community site". The internet is NOT a utopia; people are jerks. Behind a screen name you think you can do a lot more than face to face. That's just HOW IT IS. People are total cocks online. Did you guys honestly think the "no bans, everyone needs a chance" policy was going to work? CN was so concerned with having the power of a mod that this happened; eventually, after not being able to, he just started banning people. I knew it was going to happen. Someone was going to be an asshole with their status.

This is the problem with MANAGING A COMMUNITY. You can't do it from the outset. VERY FEW PEOPLE can manage a community. EVEN LESS can manage a community and NOT HATE IT. You're either a total hardass, or you're not. That's it. Once you pass the mark of 100 people and it's no longer about "CUSTOM won't run!" you either have to lay down the iron fist of law or cut back.

Moderating a cozy little OHRRPGCE Message Board is nothing but keeping discussion on topic. You don't even have to be TOO lenient. People will generally just keep to the topic. But as the saying goes, give people an inch...

Cry me (or IM, in this case) a river, guys. I know that I left you all with the neccessary ideas and theories to crafting a good, if not GREAT, OHR Discussion Center, and it all went to shit. Maybe I should have been more explicit, but THIS IDEA OF A UTOPIC COMMUNITY IS THE PROBLEM.

Castle Paradox was founded as the next OHRRPGCE HUB. For Reviews and Game Listings, it cannot be beat. But for forums, it has too much, and it is weighing it down.

That's it. I was going to see if anyone could have figured it out, and honestly, you may think I don't care. It's true that I don't like CP. I don't like the ideals it was founded on (particularly because it's undeniably reactionary against yours truly), but I dearly love this little engine that can. The OHRRPGCE is always going to have a special place in my heart. You may not like TF or whatever, you may think I was the worst, mosty tyrannical mod on the face of the earth, but folks... I made the OHR Board back in 1997 because I loved the engine. I would not be telling you people any of this if I didn't still think the OHR was the best thing to come out on the PC Platform since Sam n Max Hit the Road. James has made a wonderful little engine, with almost limitless potential, and the forum should honor that.

Not overshadow it.
Zombie Hunter Green
Keeps on picking the Rayon Launcher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
VERY FEW PEOPLE can manage a community. EVEN LESS can manage a community and NOT HATE IT.

It seriously isn't as complicated or difficult you people are making it out to be.
Heat
lover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Hunter Green wrote:
Quote:
VERY FEW PEOPLE can manage a community. EVEN LESS can manage a community and NOT HATE IT.

It seriously isn't as complicated or difficult you people are making it out to be.

Yeah, huh?...If you ran a forum, there wouldn't be any spammers...Oh wait...Why would you spam your own forum?

[img]http://heat.castleparadox.com/mslvl/sigmaker.php?name=Azeo&Class=Cleric&level=82&exp=0&monster=Coolie%20Zombie&world=scania[/img]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: