Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A question on reviews in general.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazz_Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: A question on reviews in general. Reply with quote

I was sitting in #ParadoxLounge today, when Synial came in insulting Mormon Mission (directing it at ChaosNyte).

Quote:
[16:01] <Synial> CN, what were you thinking with mormon mission. There's 5 minutes of my life i'd like back. Neutral
[16:01] <ChaosNyte> Aw.
[16:01] <ChaosNyte> Synial, what endings did you get?
[16:02] <Synial> ending 3, I couldn't stand playing to see the other ones.
[16:02] <ChaosNyte> Pssh. You're missing out on the best parts of the game then.
[16:02] <Synial> well the worst parts make it not worth seeing the best ones.
[16:02] <ChaosNyte> What's so terrible about it?
[16:02] <Synial> I died intentionally so I didn't have to keep playing.
[16:03] <Synial> the dialouge is horrible, the music is annoying the nazis run around while being eaten... the list could go on.
[16:03] * ChaosNyte shrugs.
[16:04] <ChaosNyte> Synial, when you actually go and finish a game yourself, maybe I'll be able to take you a little more seriously.
[16:04] <ChaosNyte> But hey, if you don't like MM, no biggie.

Now... here's where I jumped in. Just because someone hasn't created a game means his opinions on what he likes in a game are worthless? I totally disagreed with this statement. But I wonder who else possibly agrees with this...

To me, it's ludicrus (sp?). You can criticise movies, you can criticize PS2 games, but you've probably never made one of either. CN's reply was, "But you don't have the ability to make either of those. OHRRPGCE is free and available to everyone."

To me, though, that shouldn't matter. Criticism is criticism. People know what they like wether or not they've made a game on their own. I've never made a game, but I know what games I think are good, or what games I think are great, which ones I downright loathe. The fact I haven't made a game shouldn't dictate what my opinion is. (This insult is thrown around on Nwgrounds a lot... "You haven't made a flash! So your opinion is worthless, n00b!!")

So, let's say 9 out of 10 people in this community haven't made a game. (Just hypotheticals... not really) You make a game that 7 of those 9 people hated, but the other 3 loved. Can you honestly disregard those 7 reviews on that basis?

Granted, some of CN's argument was that Synial was insulting and such. But insulting or not, it was still criticism. The comment CN made was totally uncalled for. if he had a complaint about that portion of Synial's critique, he shoulda said something like, "Maybe you shouldn't insult so much when you critique. We're likely to take you more seriously."

Anyways, it seems to me that CN was simply trying to insult Synial, because he didn't like the critique he was getting. (This seems more likely because, after I was discussing this (calmly, might I add) with him in private, he began to attack me and threw insults... at which point, I stopped debating)

Anyways, thoughts? Am I the only one that feels this way?

(Edit: For some reason, in the quote up above, Synial's name didn't appear... I don't know why not)
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably balance this out a little bit. Intial comment by Jazz to my comment to Synial about why he isn't really a good person to critize Mormon Mission-
"<Jazz_Man> <ChaosNyte> Synial, when you actually go and finish a game yourself, maybe I'll be able to take you a little more seriously.
<Jazz_Man> That is the DUMBEST thing anyone's ever said."

And the "insults" that I PMed Jazz with-

"<Jazz_Man> Criticism doesn't mean you have to suggest improvement.
<ChaosNyte> But it does mean you have to back up your statements.
<ChaosNyte> Why was the dialogue terrible?
<Jazz_Man> You didn't ask him to, though. He very well may have, but you got really defensive.
<ChaosNyte> No, you got really defensive.
<Jazz_Man> No, I got annoyed when you thrw that comment out. Happy
<ChaosNyte> That's you Jazz, always setting him in for the "little guy".
<Jazz_Man> Because, essentially, you're trying to render all of my criticism worthless, as well.
<Jazz_Man> ...dude... I'm not getting angry here... but obviously you are, judging by the resorting to insults. I'm not gonna bother arguing."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jazz_Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...if you're really counting...

[16:27] <Jazz_Man> ...dude... I'm not getting angry here... but obviously you are, judging by the resorting to insults. I'm not gonna bother arguing.
[16:27] <ChaosNyte> Seriously, if you had just let it alone, we might have had a decent discussion about fixing MM.
[16:27] <ChaosNyte> But you had to jump in like you were the moderator of the conversation, screaming "Foul!" because you didn't agree with me.

But... I guess I didn't mean you were insulting me, but you seemed to get really defensive... which wasn't my goal. Hence, I didn't bother trying to explain further, as it's useless when the other side is somewhat hostile (so it seemed).

And the reason I didn't post any of the "insults" is because the point wasn't you insulting me. The point was to find out what the general; consenses is about who should review games.

So, back on topic: Should the fact someone's never made a game be grounds to totally ignore their criticism? Does that make their opinion worthless, as CN claims?
T-Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not. They must, of course, at least have played a few games. Otherwise, it's akin to me critiquing the engine systems of a Boeing 727.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case, then perhaps I should just remove every single review I've written from this site, as I haven't made a true game either (I'm not counting OHR Arena - it was made in 48 hours and was too buggy to be playable). I do particularly disagree with CN here. Their opinion should not be based completely on what they have created or made, but also what they have experienced and seen for themselves. Saying that he can't criticize your game because he's never made one is like saying I can't criticize a movie because I've never made one, although that's the analogy Jazz provided earlier. I've heard you criticize movies before, CN, but I certainly know you've never been majorly involved in the production of a feature film. In short, criticism is criticism, there is no "you can criticize or you can't", there's only "I will accept this criticism" or "I will not accept this criticism", and the latter choice is very foolish.
That Guy Who Does Stuff... Sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bake cookies, but I can tell Martha Stewart is a bitch.

Heh.. besides the point I have WORKED on games (not completed, or made) *cough SiV *cough*, I definately have played enough games to determine what I like and don't. It is an opinion afterall.

Off Topic - (CN asked me what I didn't like about mormon mission, i'm gonna put it here due to the fact that he's gone. And i'm sure he'll be looking at this thread again.)

The worst part of this game definately has to be the dialouge. Especially with a title like Mormon Mission, which is obviously intended to be humourous. If it wasn't.. you belong in Utah... anyhow, back to the point. There isn't anything remotely witty or clever about it, and if it was intended to be as stupid as it was.. we have Arfenhouse. The difference is that Arfenhouse was humourous for what it was. This game has a 13 year old feel to it, not to insult any 13 year olds out there who make decent games. If you're 13 and you think you're making a great game, you'll look back in a few years thinking otherwise.

The plotscripts were very shakey. And I do not believe you run back and forth while being eaten... But that might just be me. The music was irritating me to the point where I tried to run into something to kill me, just to exit. Which happened.... Thank god.

I understand this is a contest game, ultimately rushed and whatnot... but this game is a chore to play nontheless. I'm glad you had fun making it, but I sure didn't have fun playing it.

__

Anyhow, back to the actual topic of this. I'm not here to discourage CN from making games (this game YES). It is partially because I know he is capable of doing better than this. I didn't feel too attacked by his "AT LEST I MAK GAM!!11 LOLOL!!!1111" But I'm glad Jazz Man brought this up, cause I would have just ignored it. And it is important that people express themselves despite not actively participating in something, hell. I don't make games, i'm more of an artist type. I know lots of people who can't draw a stickman who have helped me with critiques because they know what a goat looks like... why they know the goat anatomy so well.. I won't ask... but yeah...

Anyhow, this is getting too long.

Syn
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is insanity.

"ChaosNyte> Synial, when you actually go and finish a game yourself, maybe I'll be able to take you a little more seriously. "

I didn't totally disregard Synial's insults about Mormon Mission, and I said so. I just couldn't take them seriously as I thought Synial wanted them to be taken. And Synial wasn't "reviewing" my game. A review takes in the sum total of a game and gives it a rating. Synial just pointed out everything he hated about Mormon Mission and didn't even finish playing it. And yes, sorry guys. If I were to get an opinion about Mormon Mission, from say, Aeth, who I know is working on a game and has worked under the constraints of a contest before, I'm going to take his opinion a lot more seriously then from Synial who couldn't even finish a game that takes 15 minutes to beat. Look at Shadowiii's review of Mormon Mission. Even if felt it was unfair, I still encouraged him to leave the review as is because I felt his review covered the game completely. The difference between Synial throwing insults out about Mormon Mission at me in mIRC and my not taking him seriously is completely different from how I, or anyone else, would take harsh critism in the form of an actual review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Synial
That Guy Who Does Stuff... Sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, you're right this is insanity.

You're right, I wasn't reviewing your game. If I were to review your game, I would have had to play all the way though it (incomplete reviews don't work... Geh.. I could never review Alundra 2). And to be quite honest, I think I would have more fun piercing my nipples with a nail covered in balsamic vinegar. I know you are capable of more. When you asked what was wrong with it I told you directly. And if you don't want my feedback, that's fine by me. But please don't let it be because I havn't finished a game. I have released 2 contest games with my brother, so don't give me the bullshit about " the constraints of a contest before". And yes, I don't expect much out of a contest game, Tunah... I'm embarrassed to have released. I hope there aren't copies of that still floating around, but that was a 48 hour contest. We didn't have time to impliment gameplay. And SiV we couldn't even release before the deadline of the contest due to internet connection problems.

I have also worked on games outside of the OHR so I know what occurs.. As well as watching my bro work on his games. I see the progress of his stuff much more frequently, I know how a game is made. And my opinion shouldn't be any less valid because of that.

If I had anything positive to say about Mormon Mission, I would have. But I don't. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. And if I have to make a game before you take my opinion seriously, than it is a very sad day.

-Syn

PS - Alunda 2 > Mormon Mission
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: