Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A Big Thank You. And Introducing My New Studio: Wild Gamut!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew-David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: A Big Thank You. And Introducing My New Studio: Wild Gamut! Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

So, OHRRPGCE is the reason I work in the game development industry today. I discovered it when I was only 10 years old (18 years ago!) and I've been making games ever since. Some of you may know the development and publishing studio, MADSOFT Games, that I founded in 2008 (I used "MADSOFT" as my username on here way before I founded that though!). But I've also worked at various other studios including EA Games, Ubisoft, and Juicy Beast thanks to that experience.

I switched to working at MADSOFT Games full-time back in 2012 and grew the studio exponentially after moving it to Edmonton, Alberta. We built up the game development industry there, founded several events, fostered growth in the indie community with our advocacy group and gam jams, worked with schools and existing local studios to make sure developers stayed in the city after graduating, and a lot of new indie studios came to be thanks to us. So you are not only responsible for my own career, but also indirectly responsible for all the good we've done for the industry and community in Edmonton.

I've also done a ton of talks and been on a lot of panels at conventions. And whenever I'm asked how I got into game development at those panels, I always mention OHRRPGCE. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for this engine and the Castle Paradox community.

So before moving forward, I wanted to thank you all. This community, the engine, James Paige,
RedMaverickZero, Fenrir-Lunaris, JSH357, Fyrewulff, Moogle1, etc. You all inspired me. Thank you!

A little over a year ago, I got married and my son was born a month after that. I decided to move out of Edmonton and, earlier this year, I stepped down from my position as director at MADSOFT Games for various reasons. One of those reasons included wanting to get back to working as an indie developer. MADSOFT is pretty corporate now, what with investors, employees, etc. Too much relies on the company and we couldn't take as many risks anymore, and I missed having the creative freedom that came along with being a small two-person indie studio.

So, on November 1st, I launched a new indie studio, Wild Gamut, along with co-founder Marjorie Paré. I thought that it would be appropriate for me to come here and share the story and the studio, seeing as this is where it all began.

We're investing our own money into the studio as capital, but we also started a Patreon to help us reach our goals quicker and alleviate a bit of the stress that comes along with bootstrapping.

I really hope to have your support with this new venture and I look forward to sharing our new games with you, even though they aren't built in the OHRRPGCE.

And, if you have any questions for me, feel free to post them here and I'll do my best to answer them clearly! Thank you <3
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I am really happy to hear about all you have been doing, and I am honored to have played a small part in your origin-story :)

I wish you and Wild Gamut great success :)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nice to hear from you again; just recently I was wondering what had become of you and MADSOFT Games, since I know it was difficult. Good to hear you're doing trying something new. Good luck.

Is this a game for PC, not mobile? Hmm, so is it based on Bob the Hamster VGA -- err, I mean Dig Dug? Not really much information currently.
Andrew-David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, James!

And TMC, yeah it's a PC and console game. And if anything, it's closer to Sokoban than Dig Dug, although instead of just pushing boxes, you have to swap between above ground and below ground using your drill to solve the puzzles.

There are various enemy types that move in different patterns and have different abilities, different types of blocks (some diggable, some pushable, some that break when they fall through the holes you've dug), collectables, and plenty of secrets to uncover. Sometimes you require specific equipment upgrades or items that you unlock as you play through the game.

Each level is made up of several back-to-back puzzle boards and you can explore the overworld in between levels (you can access unlocked levels in any order you want). The overworld also has puzzles and secrets.

You can learn more and see a couple screenshots on the game's website: http://reynaldsexpedition.com
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that sounds like an promising set-up for a puzzle game. And the game looks good.
Oooh, there's a Press Kit on the website. Of course, since you just launched, the website is quite minimal (although it looks very good!) It seems odd that the press kit actually has much more information. Press kits aren't intended to be read by normal people, are they? At least, I never do.
Andrew-David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you're right! And no, press kits are usually intended for the press (thus, the name). I do plan on updating the site as we go with more information and content. We just needed SOMETHING there at the very least for the launch of the studio and I didn't want to invest too much time on it right off the bat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: